R.A.A.F. P-40N “Hep-Cat”

Hello everyone... this is the first of my builds. It will be a P-40N from the classic Hasegawa 1/72 kit.
p3dZIGH.jpg
Kit decals wont be used here but saved for a future build. 

jDhcH3y.jpg

ssBtJje.jpg

o5XPoyV.jpg

Funny thing is the second P-40 I’m building has Dickie Cresswell’s Markings, two issues with that route. One Ive already done Cresswell’s kite, and two it is an incomplete set. The markings will be off of this sheet, d1Jxl4i.jpg

I’m just not sure which one I will go with yet, though I’m partial to either “Hep Cat” with the Red,White,& Blue spinner, or with P/Ofc. Bob Barkla’s Disney noseart bird. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 13

Cool choice Dennis👍

I notice the Goofy option has the older style canopy you may want to see if you can get some photos of the actual.plane to confirm. Does your kit have a choice of canopies? 

I do like P-40's so I will enjoy watching your progress.

Cheers Greg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cool choice Dennis👍

I notice the Goofy option has the older style canopy you may want to see if you can get some photos of the actual.plane to confirm. Does your kit have a choice of canopies? 

I do like P-40's so I will enjoy watching your progress.

Cheers Greg

No it doesn't, you know I hadn't caught that part. Looks like I'm doing a different option. 

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No it doesn't, you know I hadn't caught that part.

Hi Dennis,

Nice subject.

A29-325 "Pluto" was a P-40M and is correctly depicted with the early style canopy so it's a nice option on the Ventura sheet but doesn't work with Hasegawa's "N" kit.  Back to "Hep Cat", which is cool, unless you invest in the DK Decals sheets with their much wider range of options. 

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Of course it's Pluto
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Dennis,

Nice subject.

A29-325 "Pluto" was a P-40M and is correctly depicted with the early style canopy so it's a nice option on the Ventura sheet but doesn't work with Hasegawa's "N" kit.  Back to "Hep Cat", which is cool, unless you invest in the DK Decals sheets with their much wider range of options. 

Ray

Id love to get several DK sheets but budget never seems to allow for it when I need them. 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id love to get several DK sheets but budget never seems to allow for it when I need them.

The Ventura options are nice. I look forward to this build. I have the Mauve P-40 M/N in my Australian stash. If I was home it would of been first on the list.

• Like 1

I’m a bit late looking at this thread Dennis, however glad that Ray has pointed out the difference in Kittyhawk version for those Goofy decals. I’ve used plenty of Ventura decals in the past and rate them highly. I also love these Hasegawa series of 1/72 Kittyyhawks, which are way more accurate than Academy’s overblown examples and about 1/3 the cost of the recent Special Hobby kits. To be fair, its a little basic in the cockpit and wheel welll areas, however a good starting point to greater things. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Also a big fan of Ventura decals, you will enjoy them greatly.

Sorry to see the Disney option go down. As you probably know, the Academy -M/-N kit gives a choice of canopies...but having built it as the early-model N version of  'Gloria Lyons' a while back, I have to say the M style canopy is pretty awful. It might be easier as a 'someday' project (for the Pluto decals) just to stretch the tail on the Hasegawa -E...which is pretty easy, really...or kitbash as required.

In any case, looking forward to seeing this one develop.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone... I was able to get some work done as I never got to bed last night. UpJSNjR.jpg

Eojff8J.jpg

Pretty decent fit for most areas, the forward wing to cowling join will need some work but nothing major. And Hasegawa split the flaps for some stupid reason ? P-40’s don't have split flaps ? Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts.  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Evening one and all... I was able to finish adding all that needs done before paint. Started the rough sanding on the fuselage and wings. I think will be ready for paint mid-week.aKFgISq.jpg

8VSLbG9.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, zebra said:

That looks rather nice Dennis

Thank You... I was able to get the rest of the painting done tonight in a long session. Ps6YzkS.jpg

rA2Cnej.jpg

lXZfsG1.jpg

I will clear it in a couple of days in preparation for decals, once the paint has cured. Please feel free to ask questions, comment or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm just catching up with this one Dennis and it's good to see it coming on so well :thumbsup2:.

Cheers

Thank you Cliff, this is going into a short hiatus for a couple of weeks. My Kiwi P-40 is on hold pending new roundels. Id like to finish both together so will pause on this until that one can catch up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...