Ki-84 Frank, 1/72, Hasegawa

Ki-84 Hayate "Frank" | 1/72 | Hasegawa

29th Sentai, 2nd Chutai, Taiwan, 1945

VwhhHbU.jpg

Finished this on 12/27/2020.  This was built to replace the same model kit/subject that I did in college.  Not that it was a bad build, just that it was painted with silver spray paint and this one takes advantage of everything I'd learned about NMF paints in the last few years.  I started thinking this would be a quick and straightforward build, but events conspired against me and it was one challenge after another.  At one point I had to strip all the paint off the model and start over.  Still, all's well that ends well and I think this ended up more than just "well"!  The whole sordid story is in the WIP.  

Finishing: Seams filled with CA 

Paints: Tamiya TS-30 "Silver leaf" decanted into airbrush / Alclad White Aluminum / Mr. Color Stainless steel / Alclad dull aluminum and RAF high speed silver mixed 50:50 for control surfaces (dull coated with acrylic dull coat)

Decals:  kit decals

8NrEbFH.jpg

SvY8V0a.jpg

tSp0gFS.jpg

qg5ffbr.jpg

Xb0eoDY.jpg

OEAhU3w.jpg

tpATWhV.jpg

FxffZKU.jpg

9hkW0s6.jpg

b8zhKVm.jpg

vrhOQr4.jpg

The sparse cockpit was detailed with home made seat belts, the holes in the seat were painted on since I didn't have a drill bit small enough:

QDsaYt1.jpg

Here it is next to the build I did in college.  Note that the college build has an un-painted prop and spinner: that's because I used the ones I painted in college on the new build.

ChMBnXU.jpg

The old one will get stripped and painted with the camo scheme that was the alternate in the kit.

Thanks for looking!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism welcome.

• Like 45

18 hours ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic

6 hours ago, swralph said:

Very smart build.😀

Thank you!  I'm quite please with how it turned out!  Especially given all the difficulties (which were self-inflicted).

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done ..:thumbsup:

Thanks, It was nice to have you along, and I appreciated all the ideas for fixing the finish!

18 hours ago, Model Mate said:

I followed your NMF trials and tribulations with interest, and I’m happy to see you totally nailed it in the end - fantastic job!

Thanks!  I'm glad you were along for the ride, such as it was!  Thanks for weighing in on how to remove the finish, and also for the rub'n'buff tip!  My wife picked some up, but I haven't tried it yet.

16 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Lovely, I have built the same kit in same markings but when I tried to scribe the panel line i screwed up. Need to get the kit and build again. cheers

Thank you!  You should give it another go, it is a lovely little kit!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, ForestFan said:

Nice build of a good looking aeroplane, well done

Thank you!

On 1/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, S. Uehlinger said:

Very Nice One!  I really love the Engine exhaust marks and the leaking fuel at the Tanks......I will have to add the features to the one I have completed

Thanks!  Yours looks pretty nice -- a little exhaust and fuel staining would be perfect!

On 1/10/2021 at 1:06 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Fabulous result, and well worth all your perseverance, if I may say so! 

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark!  It was fun to have you along on this one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cessna said:

Really nice and clean build! WOOOW

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Lovely precise finish, it certainly doesn't look like you had the problems you described. Well recovered.:clap:

Pete

Thanks, Pete!  Gotta love a challenge! :P 

• 3 weeks later...