Paint whenever trigger depressed issue

Michael Morris

I've had my H & S Ultra airbrush for a little under a year and it's not used particularity heavily.  Today I have started to have a problem with paint still coming through in small amounts when the trigger is depressed and it is in the full forward position.  Is this a problem with cleaning, has a seal failed or is it something else such as nozzle tip damage?

Thanks

Nozzle tip damage is a possibility, but more likely is there's something preventing the needle from seating fully. This could be paint or debris inside the nozzle, or build up on the needle assembly increasing friction and preventing the return spring from pushing the needle fully home. I'd suggest a good clean and light lubrication of the needle as a first step.

Paint residue in the nozzle tip, cracked nozzle or worn needle tip. I've had the later several times, a quick polish always fixed it, but it's a temporary solution.

Uncommon, but possible: the middle seal might have some sludgey paint in there and the needle chuck isn't pushing the needle all the way forward.

It's possible you've chucked your needle in slightly back from the fully closed position.  Whenever I put mine back in, I always apply a little (and I mean a little) pressure on the blunt end of the needle as I tighten up the nut.  It's also possible the other stuff above has happened, possibly some schmutz between the needle and the nozzle.  Give it a damn good clean, stare at it through a magnifier and see what's there or isn't there. :)

There is a gland in front of the trigger that gradually gums up around the needle.  You can unscrew it with a screw driver from the rear and soak it in thinners, then it will work like new.  I find this has to be done once a year or so.  I first found it on a second hand H&S that was a bit sticky, I guess why it was sold.  The gland doesn't show on the instructions that come with the airbrush, but is on the H&S website spares diagram.