737-500 down in Indonesia

bentwaters81tfw

On 10/01/2021 at 09:44, exdraken said:

Umfortunately airplanes crash from time to time, even though far less nowadays!

Condpnencrs to the families and all other involved!

This one doesn't look much like a "normal" crash though.

26 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

This one doesn't look much like a "normal" crash though.

I havn't heard any speculation on the cause yet....? definitely not related to the MAX story as being a much older variant.

what is a "normal" crash? fortunately they are not normal at all!

16 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I havn't heard any speculation on the cause yet....? definitely not related to the MAX story as being a much older variant.

what is a "normal" crash? fortunately they are not normal at all!

Im trying to avoid speculation too and haven't seen any more aside from what has been published from the flight track.

With regards to a "normal" crash, the biggest cause of aircraft crashes is pilot error resulting in Loss of Control in Flight or Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT). About 40% of aircraft crashes are at the final approach/ landing stage (significantly more than any other stage), things such as runway overruns (often caused by miscalculation of weather effects) or landing short of the runway (due to things like pilots loosing situational awareness and allowing speed to drop). 

It is uncommon for aircraft to suffer an event, during the climb phase (but once significantly clear from the ground), that leads to an incredibly rapid descent and crash.

Historically, such events have been attributed due to few causes. I am avoiding explaining those causes as it never helps to speculate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1