56 sqn Gauntlets markings

keith in the uk

I am currently working on a 1.48th scale Gloster Gauntlet and quite like the Red and White checks of 56sqn as these are very colourful.

All the reference pictures i have of 56sqn Gauntlets dont show any aircraft with the Red and White checks on the upper wings,  only on the fuselage sides.

I have the On Silver Wings book which states 56sqn only had Gauntlets for 14 months , my question is are there any know photos of 56sqn Gauntlets clearly showing the checks on the upper wings ?

33 minutes ago, galgos said:

Yes Keith, I have some from a Flight article, look on the first page of this thread:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/86884-gloster-stable/

Max 

The 56 sqn Gauntlet photo's from the flight article don't show any checks on the upper wing.

I think you'll find that the photo of K4090 is a 19 sqn aircraft with blue & white checks - the shade is the same as the outer blue ring on the roundel, not the inner red spot.

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

I think you'll find that the photo of K4090 is a 19 sqn aircraft with blue & white checks - the shade is the same as the outer blue ring on the roundel, not the inner red spot.

According to the MMP book K4090 served with 19 Squadron but never with 56 Squadron, backing up your statement.

• Like 1

You're absolutely right Dave, my memory was playing tricks on me!  In fact there's a clear picture in "On Silver Wings" of 56 Squadron pilots doing a "scramble" which clearly shows the fuselage chequers but not upper wings.  And yes, K4090 was 19 Squadron. 

• Like 1