Zvesda 757-200

Rb277170

12 hours ago, 26Decals said:

There were at least 5 BA Landor 757s with the E4 engines which also appeared in the Caledonian Landor livery :

G-BPEA,B,C,E and F 

Are you going to be offering sets of decals for the 757? 

On 8/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, eng said:

Morning all,

Anyone found an issue with the Main landing gear leg (Part 21) having the upper part of the drag stay (diagonal part), and the horizontal piece joining this to the main strut, either broken or short shot?

I had 4 kits delivered yesterday and all of them had this part damaged. It’s not un-fixable using some brass rod or stretched sprue, and plasticard. 

I’ll post a few pics later but curious to see if this is a common issue or I’ve just been unlucky.

Eng

My first pair have just arrived and the u/c legs are fine in both of them.

Tempting as it is to start sticking the plastic right away, they're going into the stash for a while until I finish at least some of my current projects.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, eng said:

Morning all,

Anyone found an issue with the Main landing gear leg (Part 21) having the upper part of the drag stay (diagonal part), and the horizontal piece joining this to the main strut, either broken or short shot?

I have this (broken) with one of the five I got from Russia. The broken-off piece is in the plastic bag.

I think it might be due to being caught on a part of the adjacent sprue in the bag.

Edited by buzz

2 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Who is doing the earlier RR engines for the 757 ? 

If you don't want to wait for Sergey Druz (or if you can't afford his prices!) early RR engines are available from BraZ, item number BZ1048. They were designed for the Minicraft kit but should be adaptable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

If you don't want to wait for Sergey Druz (or if you can't afford his prices!) early RR engines are available from BraZ, item number BZ1048. They were designed for the Minicraft kit but should be adaptable.

Thank you for the hint.

But I guess I will go for the Druz engines.

The mounting design is quite different on the Zvezda version and 1 or 2 sets should be affordable.

I was also crazy enough to buy 3 of EEs 747SP kits...😉😂

21 hours ago, 26Decals said:

There were at least 5 BA Landor 757s with the E4 engines which also appeared in the Caledonian Landor livery :

G-BPEA,B,C,E and F 

G-BPEE and PEC were based at Glasgow for about 18 months and ran a Glasgow-New York-Boston return flight 5 days a week. A Service Check was carried out on a Wed and Sat at the BA hangar at Glasgow, the bay closest to the blast fence still has the cut-out in the roofline at the front to accommodate the tall fin on the 757.

I'll definitely be in the market for a set of these, they look lovely.

Eng

Bought my kit yesterday, what a beauty!

Very happy with what they achieved with the RB211 fans the blade separations are deep enough to create a nice effect with the help of diluted paint, it may be a good compromise.

The PW2000 fans looked very detailed at 1st, until I read about their too curvy blades, something did not look right anyway... will wait for Sergey's engines.

Perfectly moulded landing gear parts on my exemplary, I am quite relieved. The inclusion of 2 different type wheels is a nice touch.

The Zvezda decals, which I until now never liked, seem to be better printed in this release, no colour drooling and a better printing definition.

I still have the Authentic Airliners original 757 release with the clear resin nose, 3 part fuselage and 2 engine choices, it is no doubt an accurate kit (with a few little cons here and there) but who can resist an equally accurate IM kit at such friendly prices?

• Like 3

I've got two of these well under way now and they've been nice and straightforward so far, with excellent fit. One little thing that I've noticed is that when the wing assembly is mated up to the fuselage, it generally fits like a glove, however you may have a small step with the lower belly part protruding at its forward edge, back edge or both.

I've found that with the wing section offered into place some gentle pressure on the fuselage sides just in front of the wing leading edge is enough to make the step disappear. Gently clamping this and gluing the front edge only and living it to dry before doing the same at the back edge should sort out the issue. If you try cutting away material from the centre section between the wings then you just end up with the upper wing halves sitting too high.

Loving these so far, and will update this if I come across any other gotcha's.

Eng

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2021 at 22:43, 26Decals said:

G-BPEA,B,C,E and F 

G-BIKA to G-BIKZ and G-BMRA to G-BMRJ were all RR 535C and all entered service with BA pre Gulf War 1.

As stated G-BPEA to G-BPEAF (think there was a G-BPEH as well) were all ordered for Caledonian (the BA subsidiary formed at LGW from BA Airtours and B Cal.) I think they were all ETOPS capable, and had RR E4, they certainly had a different internal fit out, with galleys front and back which caused the cabin crew grief when they came back to LHR and were used on the Domestic Shuttle flights.

As also stated, two of the ex-Cali E4s went to GLA BA Regional for the GLA-JFK and GLA-BOS 

Once aviation started to recover post GW1. a second tranche  of 757s were delivered G-BPEI to G-BPEK and G-CPEL to G-CPEV, all E4s.

The 'Cs' were the first to retire, the E4s certainly were 'hotter' and used to climb like homesick angels.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2021 at 22:43, 26Decals said:

G-BPEA,B,C,E and F 

Further digging.

G-BPEA and G-BPED came to LHR sometime around Dec. '91 and used on Domestic Shuttles. I can't remember if they were still in Caledonian livery, but were repainted BA Landor. G-CPEL I can see from Sep. '93, followed by G-BPEI, EJ, EK from Aug. '94. 

Next couple came early '97 I think before 'Utopia' pre-school art class tails.

The above registrations were all E4 Landor, as well as the ones that went to GLA.

Some may have stayed at LGW, but I had nothing to do with those, so don't  know if and when they returned to BA Landor.

So the upcoming 26 decal sheet is good for the Zvezda 757 in BA Landor and Caledonian without modifying the engines, (although I really need some aftermarket 535Cs to make me a happy camper).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tea Taster said:

Further digging.

G-BPEA and G-BPED came to LHR sometime around Dec. '91 and used on Domestic Shuttles. I can't remember if they were still in Caledonian livery, but were repainted BA Landor. G-CPEL I can see from Sep. '93, followed by G-BPEI, EJ, EK from Aug. '94. 

Next couple came early '97 I think before 'Utopia' pre-school art class tails.

The above registrations were all E4 Landor, as well as the ones that went to GLA.

Some may have stayed at LGW, but I had nothing to do with those, so don't  know if and when they returned to BA Landor.

So the upcoming 26 decal sheet is good for the Zvezda 757 in BA Landor and Caledonian without modifying the engines, (although I really need some aftermarket 535Cs to make me a happy camper).

Maybe of interest to this topic;

I flew on G-BPEB in october 1990 from Zurich via Athens to Mombasa,it had the newer RR engines.I was also able to take some close up shots after our arrival.

If I remember correctly,the flight back to Zurich was on G-BPEA 2 weeks later.I should still have some pictures somewhere,I hope I find them and I try to post them.

Both 757s seemed quite new and were ER versions.

• 2 weeks later...