The Dr.I 425/17 's Spandau LMGs

AulusHoratius

The following link (http://www.fokkerdr1.com/images/Dr.I 425 3sqn_wreck_02_1000.jpg) is of an image of a group of Australian soliders inspecting the Spandau Machine guns of the Red Baron's DR. I following its shooting down. Upon close inspection of the image the barrel shroud of the machine gun on the left appears to be different to that of the right; there are circular vents in the shroud on the left.

Another discrepancy is the difference in size of the two muzzles on either lmg.

Could anyone please explain to me why these two differences are so? I find it unusual that the lmg's on a single plane would not be uniform. 

Thanks in adavnce!

The only holes I see on the shroud is at either end and on the top half - this out of view on the other gun because the person on the right is holding the gun such that the underside is facing the viewer?

For the muzzles, looks like one has had it removed entirely, leaving just the barrel that runs the entire length back to the stock?

regards,

Jack

1. the flash reducer was a screw-on attachment. It may have come off one of the guns

2. there were at least 4 manufacturers of the Spandau 08. All the basic parts were interchangeable.

3. its really not that unusual for two different looking mgs to be on one airframe. Whichever mgs were serviced and ready would be used.

8 hours ago, AulusHoratius said:

The following link (http://www.fokkerdr1.com/images/Dr.I 425 3sqn_wreck_02_1000.jpg) is of an image of a group of Australian soliders inspecting the Spandau Machine guns of the Red Baron's DR. I following its shooting down. Upon close inspection of the image the barrel shroud of the machine gun on the left appears to be different to that of the right; there are circular vents in the shroud on the left.

Another discrepancy is the difference in size of the two muzzles on either lmg.

Could anyone please explain to me why these two differences are so? I find it unusual that the lmg's on a single plane would not be uniform. 

Thanks in adavnce!

The shrouds are the same, just different orientations, and one flash reducer is removed from the gun on the left.

sorted, 

Cheers, Tony