1:32 Jaguar 420 - Confirmed for Autumn/Fall 2021

Mike

a03401v_1_jaguar-420_pack_1.jpg

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/jaguar-420.html

The old Airfix Jag 420 is back, and there are a lot of people getting excited, so as it's only been mentioned in other threads so far, here's a new thread exclusively devoted to it for everyone to tell us how many they're getting.  I'll link to some constructive comments by @keefr22 (I think?) in another more whiney thread, so you can have some actual info about what's coming.

Speaking personally, I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Wrong scale,, and it's an old man's car! :cwl:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'll certainly be getting at least one of these - currently thinking of Willow Green or Cotswold Blue for paint - but that'll likely change by the time it comes out!

Keith

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Useful list of paint and interior trim colours here;

https://www.john-skinner.co.uk/jaguar/mk10-420g/

K

Enjoy :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The model is of the 420 G, not the smaller saloon 420

You'll have to chalk that up to my ignorance on the subject there, as I know naaathing, as Manuel would say. :dunce:  Mind you, Airfix haven't mentioned it either :shrug:

Thanks for opening up this thread Mike. I couldn't understand why we couldn't have a thread just on this kit because I also have no inclination to wase through the aircraft-heavy thread. While searching is an option, it is more suited to finding a relevant thread than individual scattered comments within a thread. I now understand that the problem was the location of the thread rather than it's existence.  I agree that the solution to a locked thread is not to simply start another one without understanding why the first was locked.

Anyway, I'm really pleased theee old kits are appearing. They fetch ludicrous prices second-hand if you can even find one, and they're just not worth it compared with modern kits. It's a pity some of the moulds no longer exist, but I'd love to get some of the ones that can still be repopped for a decent price. If nothing else, the warts in the kit quality will be a good match to the standard of my modelling ability! A £50 Tamiya kit deserves a great finish - a 50 year old £15 Airfix one  can cope with a few brush marks!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

You'll have to chalk that up to my ignorance on the subject there, as I know naaathing, as Manuel would say. :dunce:  Mind you, Airfix haven't mentioned it either :shrug:

You're not alone Mike, I had no idea either!

Keith

With the Maserati last year ( just after I've built an original release) this is good news for a niche section of the hobby. I was only aware of the difference 420 v 420G/mk X 'cos I read the Wikipedia page after talking to Airfix about re-releasing some of the old cars at SMW, and very happy to see this get out there as the collectors prices for this and the buggy are prohibitive (unless you are @Davecov 😜) .  Hopefully the Merc SSL might get a boxing next year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

The model is of the 420 G, not the smaller saloon 420

I shall have to withdraw that statement

I was misled by certain other websites

On further investigation this is the smaller 420, itself derived from the older Mk. 2, with a 4.2L engine

• Confused 1

Yes the 420G was a barge, and they didn't sell in the numbers the 420 did. This was the stepping stone between the Mk II and the XJ series.

They were known as an 'old man's car' because only older men could afford them. The 'yoof' of the day had the usual other commitments.

I'm not quite in my dotage, but now free of encumberances, I could afford a proper Jag too. Not that I would want one.

• Like 1

Despite @JamesP imagining that I have a bottomless wallet, my days of purchasing rare Airfix cars at collector's prices is now over. Simple reason is that I have them all. However, I will do my duty and purchase a couple of the 420 re-release - it would be rude not too! Mind you, my wedding car was a Mk10 Jag so this kit does give me some unwelcome flashbacks!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I feel it will be necessary to buy more than one, to encourage Airfix to give us some more long-lost cars in the Vintage Classics range. Fortunately, with the 420 there was a Daimler Sovereign option too, which means buying an extra one isn't an option (it's not like kits are non-essentials). And then there's the S-Type . . . I do have plenty of filler and sanding sticks, after all, but would it be fairly straightforward?

Peter

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chimpion said:

they're just not worth it compared with modern kits. It's a pity some of the moulds no longer exist, but I'd love to get some of the ones that can still be repopped for a decent price. If nothing else, the warts in the kit quality will be a good match to the standard of my modelling ability! A £50 Tamiya kit deserves a great finish - a 50 year old £15 Airfix one  can cope with a few brush marks!

This seems uncharitable. I think it's a good kit, I am certainly not aware of a better one of this car

I'm really looking forward to this, I've heard nothing but good things about it... it even has an engine yes? These slightly later car kits are actually brilliant, it's a shame they mainly push out the older worse kits, DB5 and E-type, if they sell well enough to pretty much constantly have them in the catalogue, why not update them? 

I think I will buy several of these (and a couple beach buggys),if it stays at £11.99 that's the right price to be. 

I have noticed Hobbycraft sells Airfix kits at a ripoff price, my local one is thinning out there stock. I'm not surprised when they want £20 for a £11.99 kit... and the shelf next to it has a £20 Tamiya 1/24 kit 🤯

My first will be finished in bronze I think 🤔

The quoted prices suggest that we might actually get a car kit in a box, without including four paint pots that I'm not going to use and sticking another fiver on the price. When did Airfix last have a 1/32 car kit in the catalogue that wasn't a starter set? (Not counting the Humber Snipe, of course.)

Peter

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

This seems uncharitable. I think it's a good kit, I am certainly not aware of a better one of this car

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply any specific problems with this kit. I just don't expect the same level of fit and detail from a 50 year old Airfix kit than I would from a brand new Tamiya or similar. Why should I - it's only a quarter of the price.

• Like 2

I never even new that a Jaguar existed! (I’m 56!)...but will have to buy a couple - one to make now, and to save to a possible conversion or aftermarket-update. Btw I have noticed that some retailer (eg Jadlam) already have it listed for pre-order, but at a few pounds more (£13.95) than the airfix rrp (£11.99). A bit odd, as they usually undercut a little bit.

also looking forward to that Buggy.....

When I was young there was a small garage around the corner from the house, it used to have loads of old dumped British cars there, and got me into classic Rovers, my first car was a P5 3ltr. The wife of the proprietor obviously had her pick of the cars and was always driving around in a couple of 420Gs.

So in short, I will get one of these beauties!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tripod said:

The quoted prices suggest that we might actually get a car kit in a box, without including four paint pots that I'm not going to use and sticking another fiver on the price. When did Airfix last have a 1/32 car kit in the catalogue that wasn't a starter set? (Not counting the Humber Snipe, of course.)

I know what you are saying

just fyi in the very recent past Airfix have had, in 1/32, without paints, not a 'starter' or 'gift' set

Ford Fiesta WRC

BMW Mini (2 types)

Jaguar XKR9

The Airfix artwork/boxtop really does look like a 420G!  I got quite excited as I used to own one,a car I wish I still had. I will still buy this kit though,the MPC picture above is a proper representation of a 420,which was a bit bigger version of the old S Type,another neglected Jaguar model. Chris.

15 hours ago, Chimpion said:

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply any specific problems with this kit. I just don't expect the same level of fit and detail from a 50 year old Airfix kit than I would from a brand new Tamiya or similar. Why should I - it's only a quarter of the price.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tripod said:

a car kit in a box, without including four paint pots that I'm not going to use

I could not agree more. That really irritated me about the Maserati Indy. I almost didn't buy one as a result. It's not just the extra cost, unwelcome though that is, it's the ridicilous packaging format which makes it very hard to pack them well and economically for postage, and to stash away at home. At least with the recent small 1/72 fighter kits they stuck the extra nonsense tidily in a properly rectangular box, just a slightly longer one.

• Like 2