USAF Rhino's last hurrah; PACAF F-4E in action - FINISHED

Bit of a lag with phone uploading photos.. 

Temp sensors stuck in intakes prior to paint touch-up, wings assembled and fuselage progressed. Understand that the intakes is where I will be doing filing. May not be best way but I decided to fix the inside pieces and let dry, before fixing outsides; because splitter plates fit to inside pieces and they have to sit relative to fuselage.

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

Assembled and base-painted the Eduard CBU-87; still to varnish / decal / varnish. And drop tanks; easy, solid colour. And after a bit of thought worked out how to paint the handles on the top of the ejection seats.

The kit comes with inner station pylons as per instruction sheet, I assume TERs?

dstorm.eu says:

"- a single CBU-87/D on each of the inboard pylons, the left one suspended from "special weapons" adapter (the special weapons adapter was screwed directly to the inboard pylon where the MAU-12 was usually located. Therefore the pylon did not feature any sway braces anymore.)
- AIM-9 missile rails were in place on the left inboard pylon, but no Sidewinder missiles were carried."

I have trawled the net and can't find pictures of a Rhino with single CBU-87 loads. So asymmetric load-out but what am I modelling? (The terminology is too technical for me; is someone could relate to part numbers that would really help; assuming I can use some of the kit parts; flare dispenser boxes?)

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 2

Followed the advice in @baldwin8's build and lined up the panel lines on the intakes; leaving some filing to do on the upper "shoulders".  And trimmed rear cockpit coaming while sanding in that area. Then wings on; bit of jig to hopefully ensure dihedral is the same. Worst gap between left wing and fuselage; filling in progress.

Still looking for advice on pylons for CBUs.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 2/13/2021 at 5:26 PM, Chrisj2003 said:

when I saw another one at a decent price on ebay I've got it to top up the stash.

And that is the natural order of things at work! Any temporary void in the stash must be filled at the earliest possible opportunity.

Chris.   

• Haha 2

Thank you @Vultures1 and @Benner - brilliant modelling there - no way I can replicate that detail. This is what I think I should have:

• both - basic pylon and two fairings into wings
  • right - just little bits for hanging bombs - are they the sway braces?
  • left - sidewinder rails + special adapter - but no little hanging bits

Any more advice before I finish my "special adapter" and glue all? (Held together by Copydex at the moment.)

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Nice work there Chris!  Yes, the little bits for hanging bombs are the sway braces.  That 'special adapter' certainly looks the part and the arrangement you have conforms with what it said on the dstorm.eu site

@Shalako yes the 90s moulding; all finely engraved. Nice kit but not as nice as the new FineMolds. 

I’m in the dull multiple thin coats of enamel with long wait between stage. 

Chris

@CliffB that's the neutral gray done, and the first thin coat of gunship gray on; I find brushing enamels that many thin coats works better than a solid covering which ends up too thick. What I like about this scheme is the great variance in hue in different photos; hard to get it wrong. 😁

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 4

Some very good work gone on to get the details of the weapons and how they are carried. Nice to se the model altogether and with paint on. Always wise to apply brushed paints in thin layers.

• Like 1

Making progress but not getting things correct:

• centre of canopy superglued skew on one side; shame because the windscreen stuck down very neatly
  • weathering to tail steel area fun but not right

So I painted and decaled the Hasegawa AIM-7s; 10 decals a piece and all they say is OOOO. 😀

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the example at top of this thread @Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy I scratch-built an adapter for the ALQ-131 out of sprue, plasticard and the kit sway braces. Here's the second attempt with the part-painted Eduard pod (I went for OD for contrast) and in the front well for the Sparrow. Not perfect; but it is satisfying to do.

Nearly ready for stickers.

All comments and advice welcome.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

And started the decals, I have had these for 20 years and they are a 1997 printing, but all good, and I had to choose one aircraft so I went with 73-1119. Multiple stencils, walkways, etc to come from other sources; I will be some time. 😀

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 2

Starting to think carrying on putting all the tiny stencils on the dark colour isn't worth the time. As per drop tank they will show better when matt coat applied. :tired:

CBUs look nice with decals but they silvered; waiting to see if extra solution in pinpricks will solve it.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

@Jabba the Aeromaster decals are nicest to use and place I’ve used for a while; more than can be said for the Eduard ones on the CBUs. Don’t know if I’ll ever use the 5 other schemes on the Aeromaster sheet. 

Chris

Well that's the decalling done (apart from one store which I didn't clean-up for painting very well and the wheelwell doors). No idea if the orientation of the myriad of tiny stencils is correct on underside or top of wings. Varnishing and weathering to do. 

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

Getting there with the weathering; a few passes of Florys black wash on underside to both highlight flaps and to dirty up. Most will be hidden by droptanks and other stores.

Chris

spacer.png