USAF Rhino's last hurrah; PACAF F-4E in action - FINISHED

My placeholder for PACAF's contribution; 3rd TFW F-4E flying into theatre from Turkey. A small detachment of six planes which left theatre to the boneyard.

Hasegawa special edition boxing of '91(?) moulding which was going cheap at LHS many years ago, AM decals, seats, pod, bombs and masks. I have plenty of references, some below, but none answer questions about pod; according to www.dstorm.eu they flew with AN/ALQ-131 in front left Sparrow well:

• Are pods O/D green or dark grey?
  • How did they attach to Sparrow well in reality?
  • How should I attach them on my model?

Really appreciate help on the above; there are photos showing how weathered the planes were and where the camo colours split but not the pod.

Will finish / progress builds in Interceptor GB then get on with this.

Chris

spacer.pngspacer.png

done

Edited by Chrisj2003
  • Like 11

I have only seen a couple of pictures showing 3rd TFW F-4s carrying ALQ-131, and none er clear enough to determine the colours. I safe bet, however, is olive green.
You can see here how they were fitted in the Sparrow well: 

Jens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok a silly question; does the F-4 I want to build, Link below, have reinforcing plates on the stabilators as nicely moulded in my photo? 

Starting here as a practice with AK true metal. With a Hill Gray scheme the only masking is the canopy and the rear.

Chris

https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/f-4/us/71-1086_1.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 10:05 AM, Chrisj2003 said:

My placeholder for PACAF's contribution; 3rd TFW F-4E flying into theatre from Turkey. A small detachment of six planes which left theatre to the boneyard.

Hasegawa special edition boxing of '91(?) moulding which was going cheap at LHS many years ago, AM decals, seats, pod, bombs and masks. I have plenty of references, some below, but none answer questions about pod; according to www.dstorm.eu they flew with AN/ALQ-131 in front left Sparrow well:

• Are pods O/D green or dark grey?
  • How did they attach to Sparrow well in reality?
  • How should I attach them on my model?

Really appreciate help on the above; there are photos showing how weathered the planes were and where the camo colours split but not the pod.

Will finish / progress builds in Interceptor GB then get on with this.

Chris

I've only seen one pic of a 3rd TFW deployed for Desert Storm showing the ALQ-131.  The pod is light grey, not gunship grey or OD green.

Will you be putting a Pave Tack pod on with GBU-10, or the war-time load of cluster bombs?

On 1/9/2021 at 10:05 AM, Chrisj2003 said:

After this 3rd coat of Xtracolor Gunship Gray dries I think I can get on to metallic paint. (The light spots are reflections.)

I know there are plenty of aerials to add; but is there anything to remove?

And after years of accumulating Phantoms I have actually taken one out of the stash to build, so when I saw another one at a decent price on ebay I've got it to top up the stash.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 3

A lot of masking on the stabs and a coat of AK true Metal Dark Aluminium. Lighter than I thought; does anyone know if I have to polish it? Looks like a second coat needed. On the plane I'm doing the central areas aren't visibly darker; wondering if I could polish the main areas and leave the spine unpolished and a bit darker?

Looks nicer than metallic enamel paints; so may solve one problem: I don't like painting white, yellow, red, black and metallics. That's why I like the Euro1 scheme, or this. 😀

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress while waiting for F-5E wash to dry. Cockpit OOB and one AM bang seat; apart from handles at top I think bang seat is mainly done, a bit of a wash to go on. I am happy with level of detail from kit IP decals with a matt varnish on top.

Fiddly getting all the bits of the pit lined up and front IP had fallen in at time of photo, corrected now. Setting this aside for joints to set solid before adding port front fuselage,

Comments and advice welcomed.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

And very quickly its definitely an F-4E profile. Wasn't 100% sure about the orientation of the square-ish insert forward of the windscreen, and that needs a smear of filler round it.

More once the F-5E is done.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

I think that Chris was referring to the small elliptical vent moulded on that insert; the vent should be oriented to the lower right corner, as Chris has done.

Having built one or two of these kits, I also remember having to apply some filler to that panel.

Here's a photo of an F-4E nose from Graeme Molineux's walkarounds site, showing the vent roughly in the middle of the image. You can even make out a panel line that corresponds with Hasegawa's insert:

51020957036_9c58bde404_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of work with the pin vice creating holes in wing for slat actuators and stores. Then a question; 3 holes on the inside of each intake; I know the smaller one is for the temp sensor, but do I fill the other two?

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

Filled the holes on inside of intakes; camera shows one ok, one not, then a few coats of matt white, and painted outside of exhausts taking cues from F-4E(S) in walkaround. Questions:

1. Understand the inside of the jet pipes was green - any particular shade?
  2. The fuselage colour comes inside the intakes one of three distances - anyone know what the right distance was for this 3 TFS jet?
  3. And apparently the intakes fit badly and lots of sanding is required - is the best way to glue the assembly to the fuselage and sand the outside?

All advice greatly received. May go off and do the stores and u/c.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 6:59 AM, Chrisj2003 said:

Filled the holes on inside of intakes; camera shows one ok, one not, then a few coats of matt white, and painted outside of exhausts taking cues from F-4E(S) in walkaround. Questions:

1. Understand the inside of the jet pipes was green - any particular shade?
  2. The fuselage colour comes inside the intakes one of three distances - anyone know what the right distance was for this 3 TFS jet?
  3. And apparently the intakes fit badly and lots of sanding is required - is the best way to glue the assembly to the fuselage and sand the outside?

All advice greatly received. May go off and do the stores and u/c.

Chris

G'day Chris, I can't help with Q2 & 3 but ref the green exhaust I think that the green hue is mainly seen in the AB liner area and that it is more evident in static or museum aircraft. It looks like an oxidation effect which can vary in hue and density depending on the particular jet.

The engine exhausts (the bits outside the airframe) don't have any green areas evident

Pappy

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

F-5E complete, but then I had Covid jab, so felt slightly off for a couple of days and arm still sore, no complaints, but didn't feel like doing much physical.

Masked up transparencies, and dry fit; windscreen masks need trimming. AIM7-M missiles from weapons set V, on understanding that -F only varies in markings; fin reset since photo. I guess I don't need upper fins when used with Rhino in recesses? 

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

More progress:

• On the critical path - intakes painted inside - temp sensors to add, then close up.
  • And because I had the white out wheel bay covers and hubs painted - some in picture, some not.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 2