Revell 1/24 E-Type Jaguar (new mould)

Looks great and I have to agree on the de-chroming - what you use to repaint the parts?

I also hate Revell's European packaging, the boxes seemed designed to fall apart.  I wish they would use the US style boxes with proper lids.

Edited by Red316
  • Like 3

Tell me about it. I have the 1/24th Samba bus. Way too big for an end-opening box. Mine's all crushed out of shape from just sitting on the shelf!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, Red316 said:

Looks great and I have to agree on the de-chroming - what you use to repaint the parts?

I also hate Revell's European packaging, the boxes seemed designed to fall apart.  I wish they would use the US style boxes with proper lids.

Mr Color Super Metallic II chrome, imho some of the best metalic paints out here

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at building the roadster version of this but can't quite tell what generation or version of e type this is i gather changes were made due to safety regs and such but I'm not schooled enough to br able to spot the differences between the 60s and late models. I would like to build one as a replica of a real car a relative has but am pretty sure theirs is a newer one made for the anerican market. I'm  not certain that the earlier version could be updated. The big difference i do know is some of the last gen ones had a v12 engine?  Whether or not this matters cosmetically ... u don't know. 

18 hours ago, Patton610 said:

I'm looking at building the roadster version of this but can't quite tell what generation or version of e type this is i gather changes were made due to safety regs and such but I'm not schooled enough to br able to spot the differences between the 60s and late models. I would like to build one as a replica of a real car a relative has but am pretty sure theirs is a newer one made for the anerican market. I'm  not certain that the earlier version could be updated. The big difference i do know is some of the last gen ones had a v12 engine?  Whether or not this matters cosmetically ... u don't know. 

The Revell is a Series 1 E-type.  It's not one of the first 500 E-types because it doesn't have the chrome external bonnet latches.  Nor is it a "flat floor" car as the moulding shows the lowered footwells and cut-outs behind the front seats.  Annoyingly I can't remember when these features were introduced.  The interior isn't right if you wanted to represent a 4.2-litre E-type (introduced in 1964) as I think these lost the aluminium dashboard and transmission tunnel trim panels.

You'd really struggle to convert the kit to a Series 2 E-type as the headlamps, front indicators, bumper position, air intake, tail lamps and interior are all quite different.

Making a Series 3 E-type would be even more difficult as these used the longer 2+2 body, had flared wheel arches, a wider track, different grille and lights, pls the V12 engine.  I'm not saying it can't be done and I'd be very interested to see the process were anyone to attempt such a venture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, johnlambert said:

The Revell is a Series 1 E-type.  It's not one of the first 500 E-types because it doesn't have the chrome external bonnet latches.  Nor is it a "flat floor" car as the moulding shows the lowered footwells and cut-outs behind the front seats.  Annoyingly I can't remember when these features were introduced.  The interior isn't right if you wanted to represent a 4.2-litre E-type (introduced in 1964) as I think these lost the aluminium dashboard and transmission tunnel trim panels.

You'd really struggle to convert the kit to a Series 2 E-type as the headlamps, front indicators, bumper position, air intake, tail lamps and interior are all quite different.

Making a Series 3 E-type would be even more difficult as these used the longer 2+2 body, had flared wheel arches, a wider track, different grille and lights, pls the V12 engine.  I'm not saying it can't be done and I'd be very interested to see the process were anyone to attempt such a venture.

Does thr old healer kit or thr previous revell offering do any better? I was able to narrow it down to a 1967 convertible 

On 14/06/2021 at 01:50, Patton610 said:

Does thr old healer kit or thr previous revell offering do any better? I was able to narrow it down to a 1967 convertible 

Hi,

The Heller Jaguar E-type is an early flat-floor car.  A 1967 E-type convertible would still be a Series 1 albeit a 4.2, so I think (bearing in mind I've not examined the kit) the new Revell E-type convertible is probably the best starting point.  The only external difference between the 3.8 and 4.2 E-types is badges on the boot the later car has chrome script reading:

E Type

Jaguar

Where the earlier 3.8 cars just had "Jaguar" on the boot.

The interior would need some work as the dashboard and centre console went from aluminium to black vinyl (should be easy enough), the doors gained arm rests and the seats are different.  Under the bonnet, there's a different brake servo, splash guards for the front brakes and the radiator is copper.

To be honest, it's probably only E-Type nerds like me who get hung up on stuff like this, but I hope the information is of use.

It does, and my uncle would notice too.  Started in college with MGs  and had a mk ii saloon at one point but that's a whole other story. Coming in from the outside, I  don't I don't know such thing or what really needs to be fixed between years. I can paint the consoles pretty easily ... not sure about arm rests... the car community doesn't seem to have the great number of conversions available that say a taliya tank kit would... but the kit is relatively new too.

• Like 1