Kittyhawk OV-10D Bronco 1/32 updated 25.04.21

Hi, great build so far. Sorry to ruin your nice spraying with masks, but so far, my ongoing research on Gulf war Broncos shows them with brown on sand/sand on brown letttering, not black at all. And, no idea about the top walkway... I guess they sprayed only the required bits, like Prop warnings and unit/BuNo/MODEX, but nothing else. So far, I was unable to find top view pic to confirm the walkways.... But, great build so far. Mine is on hold now....

2 hours ago, Jakub Cikhart said:

Hi, great build so far. Sorry to ruin your nice spraying with masks, but so far, my ongoing research on Gulf war Broncos shows them with brown on sand/sand on brown letttering, not black at all. And, no idea about the top walkway... I guess they sprayed only the required bits, like Prop warnings and unit/BuNo/MODEX, but nothing else. So far, I was unable to find top view pic to confirm the walkways.... But, great build so far. Mine is on hold now....

The lettering is the biggest problem when trying to make any Desert Storm Bronco although the Revell "A" kit does have this style. I found a picture of the upper surface of one aircraft before it was painted in the brown colours and it does not seem to have a walkway there:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/ov-10/155468_6.jpg

Thanks guys - Once we get onto colours applied in theatre everything gets very tricky. 

I've looked at a number of pictures and there seems to be a mix. Have a look at this one

155468_3.jpg - 

The markings here do appear to be a pale grey - paler than what I've used and almost a Tamiya Smoke style colour. Here also, the numbers look grey:

155468_4.jpg

Note also the black(?) rescue arrows - more stencils applied than I expected.

However, they do look grey. In comparison - this is clearly sand/brown: 155395_2.jpg

and with much less stencilling.

• Like 1

Hi, yes. I am in contact with various guys who served in Gulf with Broncos or helped them repaint/update/maintain etc. Nobody gave me definitive answer on camouflages and no answer at all on stenciling/walkways etc. So, you really need to pick one specific airframe and use the available pics. But I am 100% certain there were no black stencils/walkways etc. I have many pics which are not on my Desert Stom site and none shows the black. I spent countless hours on the Gulf war Bronco subject myself, as I have my OV-10D+ in progress too...

As you chose BuNo. 155468/UU-21, I can send you more pics, as I chose this airframe too :) Let me know.

Enough of my rant, your progress is really great, keep going !!

Hi Jakub - Your website has been an amazing resource to use. I was really struggling to find pictures - and you seem to have cornered the market in those with such a great number - and with pictures of each and every aircraft - it's really been appreciated.

I'm afraid that the Bronco became victim to a SAC undercarriage. Having used three different types of super-glue on it - none of which would actually support the model - the Bronco has ended its days in the bin. I'm a bit gutted - having spent a lot of hours (and £s) on it but it can't be salvaged at this point.

• Sad 3

OH ! Sorry to hear that. I bought metal gear from Aerocraft Models and they look great. Did not install them yet, but they look great. A lot of guys warned about SAC legs as they are ......

Can you make it wheels-up ?

Jakub

Seems like an awful lot of good work for a trip to the bin.  Can you try gluing a bit of brass wire to the broken bits to reinforce them?  Even a pretty thick wire can look like a hydraulic line to someone that doesn't know any better.

HI All - Thank you for your comments and support. The SAC landing gear has a different parts breakdown to the kit parts - so I had installed the upper part of the main landing-gear while making the bays and booms and had super-glued it all into place. These extend down below where the gear doors would be if the gear was up - so building it with the gear up wasn't an option. 

I did think about pinning the gear or perhaps putting a collar around the leg to strengthen the joint - but I think that my frustrations had got the better of me at that point. 

I must admit that I found the Bronco a bit of a challenge but also fun to build. There was a lot to get your teeth into but it was starting to really come together into a decent looking kit. I might try an OV-10A  model at some point to see if I can get to the end of one.