1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Finished 07/03.

2 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I've heard stories about Disney suing kindergartens for painting Disney characters on the their walls... I like to think the people at Viz are a bit more laid back than that. Besides, who wouldn't be flattered by having their work adorn a warplane? 

Suing schools for using cartoon characters, whatever next!!

13 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Never really liked that annoying little mouse anyway tbh ...

Your work on the other hand is looking great 🙂 

:lol:

Thanks mate! Plenty of work ahead but it's an enjoyable little project.

• Like 1

More done over the last couple of days. The fuselage has needed a bit of work as the alignment is a bit off. A couple of helpings of filler required. The Phase Hanger intakes also fitted and required a bit of filler to blend them in. They look nicer than the kit parts so well worth the investment. Once this was done, I dry fitted the wings and noticed that the front join sagged quite a bit leaving a step. So I glued a piece of styrene tube in place to act as a pillar of sorts. Works well:

50926470847_ea03ce5897_b.jpg

50926343366_36ed1e93a8_b.jpg

Once set, on with the wings. Some clamping required and I ran some Tamiya Extra thin along the seams:

50926342966_c902b9272b_b.jpg

The fit isn't too bad other than a bit of a gap at the front and sides. 

50926470412_c17e7ea174_b.jpg

50926342456_ab715155df_b.jpg

Filler slapped on, no messing about:

50926469747_647e606033_b.jpg

Not too much work for such an old kit. Lacks some details but is fun to build. Nostalgia and all that. Anyway, the lower fuselage is getting there. Issues with the seams and a few sink holes, but again, nothing drastic and no requirements to reach for the single malt to settle the nerves (Revell Tornado induced temper):

50925655573_103748aeb7_b.jpg

Hoping to have all the filler cleaned up over the weekend.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 6

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Update 09/02.
2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Looking good with it almost altogether. I like that way that you overcame the wing dip with that pillar and a small amount of clamping.

Thanks Mark. The styrene tube worked a treat, saving a lot of work cleaning up steps etc.

More done over the weekend, mainly filling, sanding and re-scribing. The wings and fuselage were cleaned up and I had to re-scribe some lost panels with my trusty Tamiya P blade and dymo tape. Once that was sorted, I added a few bits and pieces - over-wing AIM-9 launchers, ventral strakes, chaff dispensers and so on.

50943315766_6c37d75f13_b.jpg

50943315296_d6fbcf5c96_b.jpg

50943416837_47618e3999_b.jpg

The RWR (well I assume that's what it is) on the tail had a random hole in it that I could not see on any reference picture so that had to be sorted:

50943314041_ddb48a63fe_b.jpg

Centre line pylon was also added along with some etch vents:

50943416472_3a3764132c_b.jpg

Mr Dissolved Putty was needed around a lot of these parts as they didn't quite sit flush and this stuff is great for such jobs. Some scrap etch was also added to the rear of the Chaff dispensers to give them a bit of detail:

50942615618_d310904975_b.jpg

Some of the products used:

50943313751_4e73d22d2d_b.jpg

Finally, the rather bland engines were assembled. Pity there are no resin aftermarket items as they would add to the kit greatly:

50943415762_fe03679438_b.jpg

That's the majority of the assembly complete. I'll be focussing on the windscreen and front end during the week. I do have a couple of questions for those who know a lot more about Jaguars (I know very little to be fair :lol:) than I do:

1. What colour are the Cannon muzzles? I've seen some that appear to be red and some that are metallic.

2. What is the correct shade of the landing gear?

More soon and stay safe,

Dave

• Like 3

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Update 14/02.

Noice!

You are doing wonders with this older kit. I am not a Jag experten nut the cannon muzzles were a dark silver shade which often had a preservative coat applied over the top. This preservative coating would appear a dull reddish colour and would wear off with use so that the silver colour would start to show. Unsure ref the gear, my suggestion would be to use medium sea grey. Once you add any oil stains and other weathering effects the base colour starts to become unrecogniseable although I am sure someone will chime in shortly with the correct BSC colour

cheers,

Pappy

47 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Looking good Dave!

Let me check my references concerning your questions...hopefully tomorrow you will have the answer 

Thanks Alex!

30 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Noice!

You are doing wonders with this older kit. I am not a Jag experten nut the cannon muzzles were a dark silver shade which often had a preservative coat applied over the top. This preservative coating would appear a dull reddish colour and would wear off with use so that the silver colour would start to show. Unsure ref the gear, my suggestion would be to use medium sea grey. Once you add any oil stains and other weathering effects the base colour starts to become unrecogniseable although I am sure someone will chime in shortly with the correct BSC colour

cheers,

Pappy

Cheers Pappy. I'll maybe go with Metallic grey and then add some light red dry brushing in areas to show the coating you speak of wearing away.

4 hours ago, Jabba said:

Some very nice work gone on there Dave. I am sure that the U/C colour is a Light Grey.

Thanks Mark!

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great progress Dave, getting very close to having some paint on her.

Some great pics of the undercarriage in this link;

http://sepecat.info/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=87

Thanks mate. Looks like the grey has a bit of a blue hue to it, perhaps Light Admiralty Grey? Or maybe my eyes are just deceiving me :lol:

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, DaveJL said:

Hello all,

Here is my first of possibly 3 entries for this Group Build - Airfix's old 1/48 Jaguar GR.3 kit, marked as GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants' of 54 Squadron during the conflict. I know the Airfix kit is a bit soft and lacking detail in areas but after reading plenty of reviews about the 'other' option on the market, I plumped for this one; and I can't wait to get started. Almost feels nostalgic (even though I've never built one to my recollection :lol:).

Kit (came without a box):

50817370602_9d30203fe0_b.jpg

Extras:

50816530448_fe798d3e5e_b.jpg

I'll be using a Neomega cockpit, Eduard Etch set, Eduard mask, Phase Hanger Resin corrected intakes, Phase Hanger wheels (these are for the KH kit but hoping they'll work here), Master probe and Kitsworld decals. I've also sourced some replacement AIM-9s (from Tamiya F-16), AN/ALQ-101 ECM pod (Hasegawa) and 4x 1000lb bombs (from where I don't know!). So she'll be loaded with 4x 1000Ib'ers, 2x AIM-9, 1x fuel tank, 1x AN/ALQ-101 and the Phimat pod.

This is gonna be one cool build :)   Are the 1000lbs bombs injection molded or aftermarket?  I used the kit bombs for my Jaguar build long ago, wasn't that satisfied with them.

Is that Hasegawa pod an ALQ-119?  ... if so, can that be easily converted to a AN/ALQ-101?

2 hours ago, Benner said:

This is gonna be one cool build :)   Are the 1000lbs bombs injection molded or aftermarket?  I used the kit bombs for my Jaguar build long ago, wasn't that satisfied with them.

Is that Hasegawa pod an ALQ-119?  ... if so, can that be easily converted to a AN/ALQ-101?

Thanks mate!

The bombs are injection, I’ve no idea where they came from as they were loose in the box with model I bought a while ago :lol:

I’m not sure what the Hasegawa pod is but it’s a bit different in profile to the kit provided -101. The only aftermarket of the latter I’ve seen is the Flighgpath resin example in the Jaguar upgrade set.

18 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Sorry Dave...didn't make it today, but the link modelling minionposted should have all the answers you were looking for 

No worries Alex, thanks anyway! I've had a look online and at some of my references; I think Light Admiralty Grey might work.

I was able to get a couple of hours at the bench between yesterday and this morning. I decided to work on the front end as I knew a bit of work would be needed. Firstly, the kit probe and the Master brass example for comparison:

50949976641_7e1fc8cd99_b.jpg

I think you'll agree that the Master item is much, much nicer than the kit part! So I chopped off the latter and fitted the base to the nose as this would give me a more stable way of drilling the small hole required for the brass part. Once set, I added the Eduard HUD and dry brushed around the coaming.

50950074222_33e63b5eae_b.jpg

Canopy then went on, with some careful fettling require to get a nice fit. Some filler was needed along the front and I ran some liquid sprue along the sides. The Master probe went in without too much hassle - I decided to add this now as some clean up is needed. Risky I know 😆

50949976266_7ca5c8c482_b.jpg

50949270973_f20606b2f9_b.jpg

50949270803_1a9a689f08_b.jpg

A bit of filing was needed to get the contour of the nose right once the base of the probe was fitted. Easy fix and at least the clear part (I've no idea what it is!!) fitted well. The Eduard mask set caters for this so thought it was to throw it on now too.

My next jobs will be to tidy up the probe join (looks fairly straightforward), clean up the windscreen and add the masking.

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 4

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Update 16/02.
15 minutes ago, Benner said:

That Master probe looks nice and sharp, I think I need to get some for my Jaguars

It’s a must in my opinion! It’s tricky enough to drill the required hole, but definitely adds to the appearance of the front end.