1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Finished 07/03.

Hello all,

Here is my first of possibly 3 entries for this Group Build - Airfix's old 1/48 Jaguar GR.3 kit, marked as GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants' of 54 Squadron during the conflict. I know the Airfix kit is a bit soft and lacking detail in areas but after reading plenty of reviews about the 'other' option on the market, I plumped for this one; and I can't wait to get started. Almost feels nostalgic (even though I've never built one to my recollection :lol:).

Kit (came without a box):

50817370602_9d30203fe0_b.jpg

Extras:

50816530448_fe798d3e5e_b.jpg

I'll be using a Neomega cockpit, Eduard Etch set, Eduard mask, Phase Hanger Resin corrected intakes, Phase Hanger wheels (these are for the KH kit but hoping they'll work here), Master probe and Kitsworld decals. I've also sourced some replacement AIM-9s (from Tamiya F-16), AN/ALQ-101 ECM pod (Hasegawa) and 4x 1000lb bombs (from where I don't know!). So she'll be loaded with 4x 1000Ib'ers, 2x AIM-9, 1x fuel tank, 1x AN/ALQ-101 and the Phimat pod.

I've some reference books:

50817274801_aea3c1150e_b.jpg

The ancient 'Take Off' magazine is probably the best; this whole series of magazines belonged to my late Father and I've kept a good few of them.

50816530168_3aa329f10a_b.jpg

50817274486_b3cdc8b859_b.jpg

Like I say, I'm very excited to start this one!

Dave

• Like 12

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The Airfix Jag might be an old kit Dave but it will go together a lot better than the more modern option, and the Neomega cockpit will give it a huge boost.

Great choice with "Johnny Fart Pants", I used the get "Viz"  and Johnny was one of my favourites.

Thanks mate. I've been itching to build it for a good while now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on this one today. Firstly the ordnance was assembled. The fuel tank, Phimat and ECM pod are all from the kit. I had planned to replace the latter with a Hasegawa example but on closer inspection, they are slightly different:

50870238223_28fd1f1e66_b.jpg

I had looked at getting the Flightpath update set, but it's hard to justify £24ish for an ECM pod and a fuel tank. Anyway, the kit part will clean up and suffice. The fuel tank needs some clean up along the seams:

50870946816_cbef185325_b.jpg

I don't know where the bombs came from but the AIM-9s are from a Tamiya F-16. I then moved on and assembled the lovely Neomega cockpit:

50871045667_54ba1abf07_b.jpg

50871046362_d89bcc179c_b.jpg

IP coaming on the fuselage removed for the resin part. I also replaced the Kitsworld decals with a nicer looking and more detailed Model Alliance sheet:

50870994086_442755f74f_b.jpg

Could anyone tell me if XX725 had a false canopy on the underside? I can't find any pictures or reference to it. Also, is the GR.1A cockpit all black?

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Update 22/01
18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Off to a good start Dave, the Neomega cockpit is light years ahead of the kit offering isn't it. As far as I know Jag cockpits were indeed in any colour you like so long as it's black, though with some variation due to fading and wear and tear.

That's great, cheers mate.

The resin 'pit is great, lovely detail though I've noticed that mine is missing the rudder pedals! Ah well, they wouldn't have been seen anyway!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveJL said:

That's great, cheers mate.

The resin 'pit is great, lovely detail though I've noticed that mine is missing the rudder pedals! Ah well, they wouldn't have been seen anyway!

Can you not use the Airfix rudder pedals with the resin tub? I assume the NM resin tub is based on the kit part anyway?

cheers,

Pappy

8 hours ago, Pappy said:

Can you not use the Airfix rudder pedals with the resin tub? I assume the NM resin tub is based on the kit part anyway?

cheers,

Pappy

I had looked at that; the kit parts are moulded in and don't think they'd be easy to come off. I've spare etch pedals from other kits that I'm going to butcher into place. Not sure if the resin tub is based on the kit parts as it has a separate rear bulkhead and actually has some detail :lol:

4 hours ago, Jabba said:

A nice start Dave, will look into the false canopy. I do think that most of the Gulf jags had it painted on.

Thanks mate. The decal sheet says that they varied but doesn't provide details for any of the jets or the exact placement of the decals. I'm sure I can guess, but wan't to get accurate information on XX725.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Dave although not very clear I can see the start of the false canopy in this picture:- https://dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/jaguar/gb/johnny_fartpants_2.jpg It is just in front of the gun and I can see the pink bar for the canopy. I will doubly confirm tonight.

Thanks mate!

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I think that she did have a false canopy painted as in pictures of her on the ground the front part of the nose gear doors (the one on the nose gear leg) is clearly black. As to exactly how it looked I'm afraid I don't know. 

From what I can gather, they all did in some shape or form, but like yourself I've no idea what exact pattern/location the one on XX725 was.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Dave...your production rate is just unbelievable 😁

Keep it going!

Thanks Alex! Other than work, walking the dog and watching the occasional film with the missus, I'm not doing much else at the minute :lol:

• Haha 2

Dave I have had a look through some of my books and decal instructions on the Jag and have come up with nothing concrete. What I do have is the instructions of the Modeldecal sheet for XX725. I am not sure if I can post it here copyright and all that, so if you PM me with your e-mail address I can send it to you.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:47 PM, Jabba said:

Dave I have had a look through some of my books and decal instructions on the Jag and have come up with nothing concrete. What I do have is the instructions of the Modeldecal sheet for XX725. I am not sure if I can post it here copyright and all that, so if you PM me with your e-mail address I can send it to you.

Thanks mate, I'll drop you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done. Sorted out the rudder absence in the cockpit with Eduard's etched set:

50909271887_90bddd1bc3_b.jpg

Then the heap was sprayed black, detailed and weathered:

50908444798_5496b476c9_b.jpg

50909271702_5d3ba5ae8c_b.jpg

Seat was also painted up and weathered:

50909271547_6db526b033_b.jpg

50909138776_14bbb396aa_b.jpg

Once dry, I fitted the cockpit to the fuselage. It was near enough drop fit. Very happy with that. Fuselage was then closed up, which, as to be expected from Airfix of old, isn't perfect but certainly not poor:

50908445628_fe2c1a9c59_b.jpg

50909270662_21b8e56f78_b.jpg

50909270472_2b4f301393_b.jpg

I then took a look at the intakes. The resin Phase Hangar pieces have the correct contours and shape but do not add to the lack of depth in the kit:

50908446013_7b16f553b4_b.jpg

So I chopped up a piece of styrene sheet and threw two 'intake fans' from the spares box onto it:

50909271067_f93edb77a5_b.jpg

Painted up:

50909137561_174da7af35_b.jpg

Then popped in:

50909269842_9a630cb70b_b.jpg

It is absolutely not accurate in anyway but once I paint up the inside of the intakes, at least something will be seen other than the void in the middle of the fuselage. 

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 5

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Update 04/02.

Excellent work Dave, that cockpit looks very good and has fitted into the fuselage very nicely indeed.

The fit of the kit parts may not be brilliant but its leaps and bounds ahead of the much more modern Revell Tornado.😁

I like your front faces for the Adours, it may not be 100% accurate but it looks good to me.

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Dave, that cockpit looks very good and has fitted into the fuselage very nicely indeed.

The fit of the kit parts may not be brilliant but its leaps and bounds ahead of the much more modern Revell Tornado.😁

I like your front faces for the Adours, it may not be 100% accurate but it looks good to me.

Thanks mate!

On the intake note, can anyone tell me what colour they were on Granby jets? Was the Desert Pink sprayed inside or were they left in green/grey?

7 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Coming along really nicely.

I wonder if Model alliance got copyright clearance from Viz? (Or did the RAF, for that matter?) 😁

Thanks mate.

Well, hopefully they did :lol:

13 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate.

Well, hopefully they did :lol:

I've heard stories about Disney suing kindergartens for painting Disney characters on the their walls... I like to think the people at Viz are a bit more laid back than that. Besides, who wouldn't be flattered by having their work adorn a warplane?