1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Finished 07/03.

3 hours ago, coneheadff said:

It really looks spot on 

Cheers Alex.

Well, she's almost done:

51009190911_c376cbac87_b.jpg

51009190611_46e8f73424_b.jpg

51009190456_8667065e12_b.jpg

51009190176_0c6791e5f3_b.jpg

Just some etch to add to the canopy and a bit of chipping to finish it off. Will be RFI tomorrow afternoon.

Stay safe

Dave

• Like 7

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Update 06/03.

G'day Dave,

Outstanding work,  especially considering the older nature of the kit and I shall definitely be stealing some paint cues when it comes time to paint mine.

I have a question regarding the underwing pylons. In your post that included the inflight shot of the two Jags, all four underwing pylons look to be the same size and type. The Airfix kit however provides smaller pylons  (shorter in height) moulded integrally with the dual rail adapter (twin bomb rack) whilst the outer pylons moulded to the PHIMAT and ECM pod are the 'normal' ' size pylons.

Is this correct or have Airfix cocked up? I am thinking of stealing the Airfix pylons for my Jag build as an expedient instead of correcting the French style pylons included

Pappy

5 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Dave,

Outstanding work,  especially considering the older nature of the kit and I shall definitely be stealing some paint cues when it comes time to paint mine.

I have a question regarding the underwing pylons. In your post that included the inflight shot of the two Jags, all four underwing pylons look to be the same size and type. The Airfix kit however provides smaller pylons  (shorter in height) moulded integrally with the dual rail adapter (twin bomb rack) whilst the outer pylons moulded to the PHIMAT and ECM pod are the 'normal' ' size pylons.

Is this correct or have Airfix cocked up? I am thinking of stealing the Airfix pylons for my Jag build as an expedient instead of correcting the French style pylons included

Pappy

Thanks Pappy!

I actually didn't notice that about the pylons! I've had a look through my references and the pylons do indeed appear to be all of the same size. The Airfix kit came with two separate pylons for attaching the tanks under the wings and they are the same dimensions as to which the dual bomb racks are attached. Sorry I can't be of anymore help!

So calling this one done; just had to add some details to the canopy and attach the latter, which was a royal pain in the nether regions as there is no connection points at all. Anyway, a dab of Gorilla Glue did the trick.

51012351236_93aea05db5_b.jpg

51012442387_2195a8496e_b.jpg

51012347331_94c40d4b51_b.jpg

Quite happy with how it's turned out given that the kit is fairly basic. As always, thanks to all who commented/followed the build. More pictures in RFI 

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR.1A XX725 'Johnny Fart Pants'. Finished 07/03.
On 1/24/2021 at 6:04 PM, DaveJL said:

Made a start on this one today. Firstly the ordnance was assembled. The fuel tank, Phimat and ECM pod are all from the kit. I had planned to replace the latter with a Hasegawa example but on closer inspection, they are slightly different:

50870238223_28fd1f1e66_b.jpg

I had looked at getting the Flightpath update set, but it's hard to justify £24ish for an ECM pod and a fuel tank. Anyway, the kit part will clean up and suffice. The fuel tank needs some clean up along the seams:

50870946816_cbef185325_b.jpg

I don't know where the bombs came from but the AIM-9s are from a Tamiya F-16. I then moved on and assembled the lovely Neomega cockpit:

50871045667_54ba1abf07_b.jpg

50871046362_d89bcc179c_b.jpg

IP coaming on the fuselage removed for the resin part. I also replaced the Kitsworld decals with a nicer looking and more detailed Model Alliance sheet:

50870994086_442755f74f_b.jpg

Could anyone tell me if XX725 had a false canopy on the underside? I can't find any pictures or reference to it. Also, is the GR.1A cockpit all black?

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

It seems we’ve similar tastes ! I’ve just started my Jag but will be OOB apart from some stores - can I ask where you got the Model Alliance decals - area struggling to find !

will do a ‘sister’ airframe to yours !

4 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

It seems we’ve similar tastes ! I’ve just started my Jag but will be OOB apart from some stores - can I ask where you got the Model Alliance decals - area struggling to find !

will do a ‘sister’ airframe to yours !

Cheers Tim. I got the decals off ebay.. and sold the remains not that long ago! If you speak nicely to @sailorboy61, he might be able to sort you out with an option!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, DaveJL said:

Hopefully mate! The wheels are much, much better than the kit parts!

A good few hours today painting and finishing the sub assemblies. Firstly I sprayed some dark green onto the fuel tank and, once set, over sprayed with the Desert Pink:

50979299093_a83b3314d6_b.jpg

Several images of Op Granby Jags show the paint on the front of the tanks wearing away, exposing the green/grey underneath. So I decided to use the 'hairspray technique,' something which I have only ever done on armour before. Anyway, worked a treat!

50980000001_294d547edf_b.jpg

50979999816_2b9058653f_b.jpg

A few more bits on the fuselage will need the same treatment, though it may be just as easy dry brushing! Anyway, moved on and painted the Phimat and AN/ALQ 101, with decals for the latter coming from the spares:

50980111072_dac36da4ff_b.jpg

50980000956_a0801f4044_b.jpg

Some green was dry brushed onto the leading edges of the pylons before a Flory Wash and oil around the brackets etc was added. Same for the pylons:

50980000341_4c46e16366_b.jpg

Bombs and Aim-9s done:

50980110437_8de56f272d_b.jpg

Exhausts:

50979297298_58a108a4ae_b.jpg

Finally, the landing gear. Ended up spraying the legs Camouflage Grey and weathering with some Flory Wash. The nose wheel was added and the door painted black as this forms part of the 'False Canopy':

50979999406_9b83b81617_b.jpg

50979296778_bee34ec077_b.jpg

I'll have to wait until the main landing gear is installed into the fuselage before fitting the wheels as they'll need set correctly to account for the bulges in the resin wheels. So, that's all the sub assemblies completed. I'm hoping to get a lick of primer on the airframe over the weekend then crack on with the painting next week.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

I’ve never done hairspray chipping - mainly as I use mr paint laquers like you and thought it couldn’t be done!

I take it you sprayed on the DG/DGr initially where you knew you would chip. Did you then put a Klear cote on, then hairspray? Then the desert pink ? Then scrub back with a toothbrush? Did you use any thinners (I believe water is use with acrylics?) to help get through the top cote? Sorry for the questions, but if there’s a good time to try it then an RAF gulf jet is it !

On 3/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, exdraken said:

turned out great!

but those bombs look huge!!

:thumbsup:

Cheers Werner.

2 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

I’ve never done hairspray chipping - mainly as I use mr paint laquers like you and thought it couldn’t be done!

I take it you sprayed on the DG/DGr initially where you knew you would chip. Did you then put a Klear cote on, then hairspray? Then the desert pink ? Then scrub back with a toothbrush? Did you use any thinners (I believe water is use with acrylics?) to help get through the top cote? Sorry for the questions, but if there’s a good time to try it then an RAF gulf jet is it !

I primed the parts then sprayed on the Dark Green. No varnish etc. On with the Desert Pink, left to dry (not too long) then a lot of toothbrush and warm water. It’s not the easiest but works ok. The leading edges were then finished off with try brushing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Cheers Werner.

I primed the parts then sprayed on the Dark Green. No varnish etc. On with the Desert Pink, left to dry (not too long) then a lot of toothbrush and warm water. It’s not the easiest but works ok. The leading edges were then finished off with try brushing.

So no hairspray ?