Airfix Model World

T-21

I am a loyal subscriber over many years and have no complaints about the magazine. Apparently the February issue  is available  at Tesco supermarkets with the Airfix 2021 catalogue enclosed.  I have ordered a copy  of the new catalogue online with a £4 discount enclosed  with the February issue RRP £8.99p.  My question why didn't Airfix World enclose the catalogue to subscribers ?  some of us are staying home due to Covid therefore keeping away from supermarkets and  newsagents. 

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

Not been in Tesco this week , picked up my copy without catalogue from my local newsagent but did get a promotional email from Key during the week in which the magazine and magazine/catalogue bundle were being offered at different prices.

Perhaps just a pricing error at Tesco if they are offering the bundle at the magazine price or a dealer specific offer negotiated by them as they have done with other KEY publication bundles in the past.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully a mistake, because if the catalogue is being offered for free at the newsagent but not to subscribers then they had every opportunity to tell us.  Because I assume that all subscribers, like me, got an email before Christmas explaining that because of logistics subscriebrs would get their copies after it was available to the general public.

i accepted that (still waiting for my copy) but if it turns out that joe public is getting the catalogue free too I will be most miffed.

Cheers,

Nigel

Has anyone thought that Tesco may have paid for an exclusive deal...

So in order to provide the catalogue with AMW, Tesco (unless anyone has seen it offered in any other supermarket???) will have paid a sum of money to provide this as a promotional item in store and as an exclusive marketing item. So in other words, you go into the store to get your magazine, and then whilst there, you are tempted into buying other items - just the same way as they have always worked with promotional items!

It may seem to us that it's "Free" but there will have been a payment somewhere along the line for it to be provided in this manner.

I am not defending the practice, I am simply providing an alternative view and methodology as to how it is being provided as a "free" item with the magazine. 

Before you start having a moan at Hornby/Airfix or Key Publishing, just think about the tactics that Tesco (or any of the main supermarkets) will use to get customers through their doors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

My local Sainsburys had the catalogue on the shelf as well as the magazine (separately), but refused to sell the cataloguie when I went to the checkout as it hadn't been entered on the system so the scanner wouldn't read it.

Which does lend some credence it should have been bundled with the magazine. How many times do you go to the check out and they won't sell a can of baked beans or similar because its not been entered into the 'system'? I can't recall that ever happening to me, or I don't shop at the right places perhaps?

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Isn’t the problem with this the word ‘Apparently’ in the original post. It seems nobody here has yet bought the two items together as a discounted bundle - me included when I only got the magazine on its own today (no catalogue) in Tesco. 
let’s wait to see if such a discount does actually exist, then maybe there is a genuine cause for complaint (somewhere)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sennapod said:

Isn’t the problem with this the word ‘Apparently’ in the original post. It seems nobody here has yet bought the two items together as a discounted bundle - me included when I only got the magazine on its own today (no catalogue) in Tesco. 
let’s wait to see if such a discount does actually exist, then maybe there is a genuine cause for complaint (somewhere)

Good call. My experience is when a magazine comes with extras in the newsagent they are all enclosed in a sealed plastic bag.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Just back from Tesco.  Plenty of both on the shelf.  As far as I could see they are two separate items.  Each scans in their own right and scanning them both simply adds the two prices together - no discount.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my December copy of AMW ( Issue 121 ) in the newsagent today that included the 2021 calendar. Had a hard time getting it out of the plastic wrapper as the glued edge was almost welded shut.