Jednastki at the Ramparts (1/72 Arma PZL P.11c)

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Thank you! I was just looking at my Polish Air Force Through German Eyes books and coming to the same conclusion. Happily, it should still be fixable at this stage.

In other news, I got some work done on a model this morning, but not the PZL. I bought Winston a Heller Tempest after he expressed interest in the type, and we started putting it together today. He did most of the work.

PXL_20210112_135324426

PXL_20210112_135143684

PXL_20210112_135544098

Congratultions seeing Winston modelling!

My Mikołaj (= Nicholas, 7 y.o.) is heavilly involved in modelling and history... It's great doing something: creative, positive and non-computer connected - together!

kPAEvmE.jpg

Best greetings from us to You and Winston!

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 11

Great job! And lovely burned metal finish on the exhaust collector ring (don't worry that the ring in Kraków Museum is dull, it's just 80 years old).

But the conical cover in the middle of the engine, just behind the propeller, should be painted in camouflage colour.

spacer.png

The pillow behind the pilot's head is our fault - we missed to point in the instruction that it should be installed before glueing the fuselage halves together. Sorry for that.

Building my model I had to remove some pieces of plastic at the bottom of the pillow to fit it into the cockpit.

The kids? My three are now at Grandpas for a week, so I don't know what kids are. 😉

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure how I missed this, but I have had a few good chuckles catching up! Great to see you back Edward, and she's looking good!

Ian

ps I'm not married. I couldn't possibly stop myself from saying the obvious - "then don't buy it" would be a standard reply I fear! How could you possibly argue against such logic?

• Haha 4

Hello Mr PC !

Super glad to see you back at the bench !

And with such an interesting subject !

Huh ! Shopping with SWMBO is a nightmare... And I have to do it every time now since her back is even worst and she cannot pick the stuff from the trolley...

When I'm shopping it's a 2 minutes affair !! I know the shop and I finished it as fast as possible....

Soooo, it's always an argument... 

Moreover, if SHE saw another woman looking at me or if I seem looking at her.... Another argument... Starting when we are back in the car....

Luckily, I manage to shop when I'm coming back from work...

For the kids, It's just a matter of years.... 

Mine are now 17 and 19, the 2 olders are 29 and 30, living by their own...

I see the light at the end of the tunnel.... See it work fine !!

Keep carry on Man !! That's the way !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, GrzeM said:

The pillow behind the pilot's head is our fault - we missed to point in the instruction that it should be installed before glueing the fuselage halves together. Sorry for that.

No worries, I should have tried to fit it then, but I was too excited to think clearly. It's a superb model regardless. 

15 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Moreover, if SHE saw another woman looking at me or if I seem looking at her.... Another argument... Starting when we are back in the car....

Fortunately, Mrs P remains distractingly beautiful even as she and I both creep towards our forties, so I'm safe on that front. 

3 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Congratultions seeing Winston modelling!

My Mikołaj (= Nicholas, 7 y.o.) is heavilly involved in modelling and history... It's great doing something: creative, positive and non-computer connected - together!

Wow, he and Winston look almost like brothers! Is that the FROG Wellington he's working on?

• Like 6

Nice to see you back Edward. The PZL looks a really nice kit. I have a few Hurricanes and the Fokker EV from Arma and they look good as well. 

Being retired with a younger (10 years) wife who is still working, supermarket shopping is part of my life, especially as MrsT doesn't like shopping full stop except for plants. Sainsburys Smart Shop and a shopping list works for me. As my offspring are now 24 and 26, memories of them being little and all that implied are mercifully fading.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

Wow, he and Winston look almost like brothers! Is that the FROG Wellington he's working on?

No, it is Matchbox Welington. Model as old as coal but still OK. It is good way to choose such models for building with kids, "to old to rock'n roll, to young to die" kits. Miko cutted parts, polished, glued, brushed, I - airbrushed mostly.

twLfhpI.jpg

My son thrills me more and more. A few days ago he said: Daddy, give me old grandpa's hat and my anorak jacket. Today I want become...

2FFP8Ji.jpg

( Guess who... )

Sosabowski_Stanis%C5%82aw-mini.jpg

0003IRMBO27VR9Y4-C317-F3.jpg

Stnisław Sosabowski - commander of the polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade during battle of Arnhem.

Beside, I am lucky man! My wife dislikes shopping even more than me. She is quite anti-comsumerism girl 😉 We belive there are so much more exciting ways of spending together time...

IG5o529.jpg

1. Plumbering always increases boy's mojo!

2. Dirty kid = happy kid. Especially where no bathroom in the evening! (no place for shower in our backpacks- we carry tent, stove and sleeping bags. )And wife? Seems too...

gkTIw00.jpg

Rain doesn't disturb...

Rzl5zbD.jpg

Chariot's race

Sorry for Off-topic, I will not hijacking more,  you can see more photos of Wimpy (and my sorrounding landscapes) in my blog with HMS Jed building (link in signature). Invite.

Best regards, Michal.

PS. and best greetings to @GrzeM from Angelika D who worked with you. We work together from 7 years...

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, socjo1 said:

PS. and best greetings to @GrzeM from Angelika D who worked with you. We work together from 7 years...

Oh WOW!!! Great! Thank you! Warmest hugs to Andzia!!! I miss her badly! It was a great time, we worked in the same room for a long time!

Edward! Great to see Winnie building Tempest!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:32 PM, Mr T said:

Being retired with a younger (10 years) wife who is still working

Robbing the cradle, eh?

On 1/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, socjo1 said:

2FFP8Ji.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny! The Wellington came out quite well. For my own sanity, I don't think Winston will be allowed to use the airbrush just yet.

I didn't get anything done yesterday, because I was off to pick up a 103-year-old M1917 Enfield rifle, which, if the fates align properly, I'll be procuring some ammunition for and taking shooting tomorrow night.

However, I did get some stuff done today!

I fixed the spine:

PXL_20210114_021723251

Very easy fix.

I attached the engine and painted the...whatever the technical term is for the part behind the spinner. I also did some more weathering on the collector ring. My feelings on that are mixed. 

PXL_20210114_034142347

Lastly, I brush-painted the leather headrest and padding around the cockpit:

PXL_20210114_030506955

I used a Lifecolor Italian camouflage brown for it, since Lifecolor has a reputation for brushing well (it certainly airbrushes poorly) and it seemed appropriately leathery.

The astute observers that you all are, you've probably spotted that I picked up a new coin for scale: a Polish 1-grosz coin from 1938. Just imagine the world that coin came into, 83 years ago, the world before the war changed everything. 

• Like 22

The PZL is coming along nicely now, I always thought it was an attractive aircraft. 

Interestingly enough it was Mrs T (or Ms F as she then was) who made the running when we started going out and her sister has also married a man a bit older than herself. Perhaps it is because we are a bit more 'experienced' 😉. Actually in Mrs T's case I think it was because I could cook, clean and mend/decorate things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So Dudwał's White 10 is a fairly comprehensively documented aircraft. Arma has posted actual prewar video of it, as well as postwar photos taken by the Germans after it was captured later in the war (these photos can also be found in Polish Air Force Through German Eyes Volume 1, which happily, I possess). At some point after the war began, the national markings were abraded or otherwise scraped off the upperwing surfaces. It's not clear to me if this was done during active operations (as many Polish aircraft seem to have painted out their upper markings and squadron badges during the fighting) or after the conclusion of the September Campaign by German vandals. Additionally, at some point, the aircraft was damaged and the fuselage spine abaft the cockpit was cut down and replaced with a piece of bare metal, sort of the P-51D version of the P.11c.

I'm opting to build the aircraft with undefaced checkerboards, not only because it will be easier, but also because I'm uncertain when they were defaced and when the field-expedient repair was conducted. I'll assume this is how she must have looked on 1 September or thereabouts. 

Tonight I put the struts on, which went fairly smoothly and would have gone smoother had I read the instructions instead of guessing where the tail struts went and then wondering why they weren't long enough -- turns out you can get into trouble going into the wrong hole. Quiet in back, you beastly savages.

PXL_20210116_011512132

Then it was time for glosscoating:

PXL_20210116_052327429

Thanks to my armature magnifier, I was also able to paint the seatbelts:

PXL_20210116_013604153

Winston's Tempest is also coming along nicely, in case you were wondering:

PXL_20210115_135125719

• Like 12

Looking good mate B) Can I enquire without appearing rude why you didn't fit the seatbelts before you installed the seat into the fuselage halves?  Cunning plan, or oversight? :) 

Win's Tempest is looking really nice too B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Looking good mate B) Can I enquire without appearing rude why you didn't fit the seatbelts before you installed the seat into the fuselage halves?  Cunning plan, or oversight? :) 

How dare you insinuate it wasn't part of my masterpl--okay, yes, I got excited and forgot. 

We're on the home stretch now:

PXL_20210117_050009683

Decals were applied tonight. All that's left to do is add some of the smaller greeblies and the seatbelts, then dullcoat, then add the windscreen. 

PXL_20210117_042844427

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Really nice job mate B) Are the decals by Techmod in that boxing? 

They are! And very well-behaved they are as well, though the corrugated nature of the wings makes getting the national markings on a bit tricky.

Also, I'm so proud you didn't call them transfers. Let it not be said my life has been entirely in vain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Very nice job PC - especially those transf decals on the wheels with the makers name.

Smart :) 

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Also, I'm so proud you didn't call them transfers. Let it not be said my life has been entirely in vain.

Ah, yes, but have we agreed on how to pronounce that word? (Scroll to the last sentence of that post and read on)

Is this, perhaps, the end of CAWTS? Five years in the making…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get the argument, and understand it’s a battle that’s lost.

However, I’m too old to change. I grew up with waterslide transfers, and I can’t work out how to pronounce decal - day-cal? Deccle? Duh-call? So, I call 'em transfers, and that’s what they’ll remain until I drops orf me perch. ;)

Meanwhile, that’s a lovely model, our Edward. Sadly, just a snifter before my interest bubble, but still a lovely thing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Of course they really are transfers, but as a guest on Edward's thread I thought I'd be diplomatic and not insist upon the usage of the correct term :D 

The correct pronounciation of 'decal' would presumably be how the French pronounce the first part of 'decalcomania' (since they invented both the process and the word), which if the google dictionary thing is to be believed, would be approximately d'cal or de-cal, with the emphasis on the 'de' and the 'cal' pronounced as if you were on familiar terms with Calvin.

That said, I've never heard any modeller actually pronounce it that way. Waters sufficiently muddied? :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

PXL_20210117_050009683

Almost ready to take-off!

Did I say I love the owl? Beside, It symbolises wisdom...

Stomil means 100 miles. The company still exists.

If you like as well emblems like these...

2105290416_godaeskadr.thumb.png.419b79d4

480px-24_erozp.png

800px-41erozp.png

You will find them in models of PZL Karaś and Łoś too. They are made by company IBG, quite new and very good models as well.

Best regards,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

PXL_20210118_004301843

Done! Nine days start to finish, has to be pretty close to a record for me. A really nice little kit, and a lot of fun to build. It goes together really easily, and it's quite the mojo booster.

• Like 24