GD EF-111A 'Raven' 42nd ECS AF66-050 "Mistress of Deception"

Pappy

18 hours ago, Jabba said:

Nice to see her on her U/C. Some nice shots of the work that you have done it this area.

Thanks Jabba,

Getting close now.  The stabs have been added. These would typically droop TE down soon after hydraulic power was removed. The droop angle was 12 degrees. I made a simple cardboard jig set at the correct angle to set the stabs

003(73).JPG

005(71).JPG

The rotating gloves have now been added

004(73).JPG

002(77).JPG

I have also added the decals.

006(70).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

001(77).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

I just need to add a few small details before the matt coat

thanks for looking

Pappy

• Like 5

Thanks Benner,

I used the kit low voltage formation lights and some of the stencils, but the mission tallies and unit decals are from an aftermarket sheet.

The Has kit provides three options, 'Knight Jammer', 'Let 'em eat crow' and a third option that I can't remember as I don't have the kit instructions in front of me

cheers,

Pappy

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Decals are looking really good Pappy, not a hint of silvering in sight.

Getting very close to the finish line now.

Thanks Craig.

She is finished, but my camera batteries needed recharging and I did not have time to post up some pics before work. I hope to get some final pics up tomozz,

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day people,

Final details have been added. The kits lacks the two Local Mach Pitot probes. There should be one located forward of each air intake.  The airspeed sensed is used to control movement the inlet spike to ensure the engines receive subsonic air at all speeds. I scrtachbuilt a pair of these, they are quite small in 1/72

001(78).JPG

and in place, just forward of the tip of the inlet spike

021(6).JPG

Calling this one done

026(3).JPG

Thanks for looking,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

• Pappy changed the title to AF66-050 "Mistress of Deception" EF-111A Raven

A fantastic result Pappy.

Those local mach pitots are superb, my eyes would really struggle with those but they certainly add to the look of the finished model.

You have certainly opened my eyes to the high standards of the Hasegawa kit and what can be achieved with it in the hands of a skilled modeller.

@Pappy You have turned what seems a dull grey plane into a thing of beauty; and those pitots are scarily small. Fantastic job. And if I ever get round to building my Hasegawa F-111 I will be using this as a reference for u/c bays, cockpit, etc, etc. (but I couldn't manage those tiny pitots)

Chris

On 2/18/2021 at 9:25 PM, Chrisj2003 said:

@Pappy You have turned what seems a dull grey plane into a thing of beauty; and those pitots are scarily small. Fantastic job. And if I ever get round to building my Hasegawa F-111 I will be using this as a reference for u/c bays, cockpit, etc, etc. (but I couldn't manage those tiny pitots)

Chris

G'day Chris,

Thanks very much. I agree that one of two colour schemes run the risk of becoming bland  unless you include some colour variation. But in reality, even monotone schemes will have irregularities, but you need to keep things subtle or run the risk of having your kit look like a tartan blanket.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:33 AM, PeterB said:

Beautiful job Pappy,

Your hands and eyes must be in a lot better condition than mine - no way I could do the fine detail you have.

Pete

They are not what they used to be but as the saying goes, old  age and cunning will always beat youth and enthusiasm!

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

Indeed a fantastic result Pappy, your attention to detail is just 👍 

Thanks very much DF, I have a soft spot for F-111s

Pappy

• Haha 1

• Pappy changed the title to GD EF-111A 'Raven' 42nd ECS AF66-050 "Mistress of Deception"