New Revell Sea Vixen in 1/72?

Meatbox8

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

They may tell fibs then....!! EE Lightning - eventually! :)     

And they've certainly been 'upscaling' their new mould kits recently - P-40, P-51, Sabre, Tiger Moth, Blenheim Mk1.... I'm no tooling engineer, but if they can do it one way, then.....? 

But after years of bugging Airfix at Telford for a new 1/72 Sea Vixen and Javelin, arthritic old fingers now mean a move up to 1/48th for me, so please Mr. Airfix can we have a new tool 1/48 Swift next year....?! 🤣

K

They don't upscale them, but produce new toolings based of the same CAD data

28 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

They don't upscale them, but produce new toolings based of the same CAD data

Maybe so, but it means they could do the same reverse engineering the other way should they choose ...

And surely making new 1/48th tooling from CAD data for 1/72 scale models amounts to much the same as 'upscaling'.... ?  :)

Keith

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

making new 1/48th tooling from CAD data for 1/72 scale models amounts to much the same as 'upscaling'.... ?  :)

Not really. And for logical reasons, if you think about it a bit more. 

Simple upscaling would also increase the part thickness and result in very coarse details. So you would have to go back in and redraw the CAD work to adapt to more dimensional space available for detail, finer detail, more appropriate frame and sidewall thickness e.a.  - at that point, you're redoing a lot of work  so it's not that simple.

Downscaling is that same process in reverse. You can only put so much detail in accounting for moulding process limitations.

You can see the same principles in 3D printing, it's nice to have 1:1 CADs but once you prepare the design for printing, you have to take into account the resolutions available for details still to be printed reliably.

6 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Not really. And for logical reasons, if you think about it a bit more. 

OK, I was only using the term 'upscaling' to mean creating bigger 1/48 kits from whatever drawings, data, black magic etc they used to make the smaller 1/72nd ones, not as technical engineering terminology.. 

Keith, who'll shut up now and go back to bed and dream of a 1/48 Airfix Supermarine Swift.... :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think this has been discussed on here before. They may not have the data they used for the Sea Vixen and Javelin. Both the Lightning and Buccaneer started from scratch as did the Spitfire 24. It would be nice to see new and accurate tools of both as well as the Venom in the one true scale, but I am not holding my breath given that Hornby Hobbies is not put the financial woods yet.