1/48th F-4E Phantom II – 6 Sqn RAAF, Amberley 1971 - decals off

…and we’re off and running for the NY….gosh where did the last one go!

So to start the modelling year off with a real bang the newest and most gorgeous addition to the stash, the Zoukei-Mura F-4E Phantom. :wub:  An RAAF F-4E has always been on the build list but this new ZM model made it a no brainer and a must build.

I’ve been so looking forward to building this model (and its release), some much so I have another 5 of the long nose Phantoms on the must buy list.

The RAAF had 24 F-4E Phantoms that were introduced into survive due to delays in the F-111C production. We had them for only around 3 years, these aircraft were fresh off the production line and most were converted to F-4G Wild Weasel aircraft on their return to the USAF, unfortunately one was lost in RAAF service.

So this is the beast, ZM's early model F-4E….. 

IMG_4783-L.jpg

………. and she’s still in her plastic untouched by human/ape hands!  :D Sprue shots will follow.

IMG_4784-L.jpg

For the scheme, being an Ex-6 Sqn person, it had to be a 6 Sqn aircraft, but marking wish you can’t tell the 2 squadrons (1 & 6) apart. The decals are from an Australian firm Hawkeye Models and are really nice.

IMG_4785-L.jpg

..and that’s it for AM bits, so for the moment it’s an OOB…….. gosh how will I survive!! :blink:

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I could swear there were two posts of the same thing ? Did you delete the duplicate

maybe??? :whistle:

the site went all funny when I hit the post button, when it came back to life there were 2 posts!

• Haha 2

This looks like an awesome build.

I don’t know if you have built a short nose ZM phantom before this long nose Rich, but my favourite youtuber has a great post-mortem video here...

he has a few good tips for building the ZM and actually recommends AM nozzles too but it seems like a suoer kit overall

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

This should be a cracker Rich.

My only concern is the lack of aftermarket and resin goodies that you normally use, how will you cope?

I'm making up for it on the A-4K! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:05 AM, exdraken said:

you have one already!

great use of an early one!

:thumbsup:

:jump_fire:🇦🇺

I actually have 2, this one just arrived the other day!! 🥰

IMG_5426-M.jpg

Ok with the start very imminent I thought I’d just show a quick breakdown of the parts for those have not seen the ZM F-4E………. plus I couldn’t resist opening up the bags to ogle at all the plastic goodness….

1, main fuselage sprue…..gosh that shape, you get to select 1 of 3 position to position the elevators at (those roundish looking bits)

IMG_5402-L.jpg

1a, tail tips, early version lower, not sure which version the upper one will be used on…. though interestingly all the RAAF version had the upper tail tip.

IMG_5411-M.jpg

2, main interior, the LH sprue is for the F-4E version, same with the flaps

IMG_5403-L.jpg

3, engine bits, I have seen there are already some lovely resin replacements available for the exhaust nozzles, so the kit ones will be replaced..... see I get my AM fix so all is right in the world again! :D

IMG_5404-L.jpg 

4, lower wing, very clever how ZM have moulded the leading edges……..

IMG_5405-L.jpg

………. those leading edges, no mould lines to worry about or trying to make sure the shape is correct……

IMG_5407-L.jpg

……… and look at how nice the detailing is! Lacquer paints are definitely the go with this one, would hate to loose all that detail!

IMG_5406-L.jpg

5, on the left (around the round center bit) the gun fairing and the 2 different gun ports, plus all the different AIM-9’s Sidewinders you could hope for, unfortunately I haven’t found any photos of RAAF birds with them fitted, same goes with the AIM-7 Sparrows……so they’re off to the spares box!  That said I did come across one photo with an odd looking AIM-7 fitted to a wing pylon (there maybe more fitted in the fuselage recesses as well), looks like a test unit of some type.

IMG_5408-L.jpg

6, pylons & rails and bits….

IMG_5409-L.jpg

7, more missile bits I can’t use, the triple ejector racks I can, I have found a couple of photos of RAAF birds with triple ejector racks a slicks so I'll do that config.………. note the ECM pods at the bottom for future versions!

IMG_5410-L.jpg

8, oh and the instruction are something from another planet……there is so much in them, you could almost take them to bed at night and read them..... not sure what the misses would make of that! :chair:   What I do like is at the top of each page they list the paint required for that pages construction!

IMG_5413-L.jpg

I still have my MiG-31 to complete first about 90% done so should have it done this weekend! With luck) ……… but I couldn't resist and just had to remove a couple of parts to see what she’d look like  :wub:  ………

IMG_5412-L.jpg

All things going to plan next Sunday glue and plastic shall meet, now I'm back off to bed to do some reading! :D 

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 10:46 PM, trickyrich said:

The decals are from an Australian firm Hawkeye Models and are really nice.

IMG_4785-L.jpg

..and that’s it for AM bits, so for the moment it’s an OOB…….. gosh how will I survive!! :blink:

What!?! :huh:

On 1/9/2021 at 9:51 PM, modelling minion said:

This should be a cracker Rich.

My only concern is the lack of aftermarket and resin goodies that you normally use, how will you cope?

My thoughts exactly! :o 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:40 PM, trickyrich said:

3, engine bits, I have seen there are already some lovely resin replacements available for the exhaust nozzles, so the kit ones will be replaced..... see I get my AM fix so all is right in the world again! :D

Ah. That's more like it :D 

Joking apart, that looks to be a seriously nice kit, no wonder you've treated yourself to another. The JASDF Phantom phleet have some very cool schemes to choose phrom  :wub:

haha I have been busy looking for some new AM bits to mainly improve some of the already nice bits, pretty much the same as I did for my Tamiya tomcat.

So new ResKit Exhaust cans are on the way, they go look rather nice.....just have to remember not to join up the fuselage before they arrive!!

Plus some new Martin baker Mk.H7 Ejection seats are also on the why. The kit ones aren't too bad, just a bit basic and no seat belts are supplied, home made ones will look :poop:.

Finally some Zoukei-Mura  weighted wheels too, when I can find them and that's all she needs............ oh and some bombs too....maybe.

Oh and i have started on her (and the Skyhawk), just been super slack and have not done an update yet.

• Like 2

Ok as with my other build I have been a bit slack in posting any updates, even though I sort of started this build on the start date….was feeling a wee bit burnt out from the MiG and Tornado builds.

But progress has been made, as usual all over the place and some new AM goodies have been ordered :D , so here we go……

… so the cockpit first, beautifully moulded and you have to build it up, but the parts fit sooooo nicely, So to make life easier it was all painted separately….. even some masking was required! 

IMG_5475-L.jpg

There is a wee bit of masking required here on these black bits (just to get those nice crisp edges) for some grey bits, plus lots of careful painting will really bring it to life.

IMG_5478-600x400.jpg

It has since had a wash applied, those seats are going, as mentioned the detail is a bit basic with them plus no seatbelts/details are provided, so some nice new resin ones are on the way. Bit of a shame here…..Tamiya was just as bad on their F-14’s!

IMG_5483-L.jpg

You basically build up the whole tube including the sills and this just slots into place. Those rear cockpit instruments are crying out for detailing/wiring, so I’ll be spending some time there, least they’re easy to get to, so I can do that at any stage.

IMG_5476-L.jpg

The main gear wells have been assembled and painted, again some lovely details here, again a wash has been done, just a little bit of detail painting required as they were predominately white (if it didn’t move it was painted white!).

IMG_5477-L.jpg

The main wing sections have actually been joined together now.

The outer wing sections tips have been fitted (the wing tips varied on the different Phantom versions, these have a very subtle curve to them), this was where I encounter the some poor join areas. Even with some careful prep work I couldn’t get a nice join, at least it’s a simple thing to correct.

IMG_5484-L.jpg

But when compared to the join between the main and outer wing sections……

IMG_5485-L.jpg

……. that’s just sitting there at the moment, I haven’t even started to clean it up, the underside and other side joins are similar!

…. and speaking of wings……. this wee moulded bit should excite those waiting for the later E models, the TISEO mount!!  I must remember to remove this. Also seen here is the plug for the forward Sparrow fin for when you don’t fit the Sparrow, I may need a drop of filler here to clean it up.

IMG_5486-L.jpg

The intakes are together, filled (and now finished), there is/was a slight join that needed filling.

IMG_5479-L.jpg

The engines, well they are now together, but not much else will happen until I get the replacement resin cans…..not going to make that mistake again!  You have a choice of open or closed nozzles, the detailing is nice but a new resin set of open nozzles (and internals) will make a huge difference.

IMG_5482-L.jpg

Finally, the stores, each of those inner pylons with the triple ejector racks is made up of 12 parts! Those wee round holes on the pylons had dimples (which had to be removed) for the mounting of Sidewinders rails. 

IMG_5480-L.jpg

As far as I know and have seen in any photo, RAAF Phantoms never had AIM-9 Sidewinders fitted and other than one photo I found didn’t have AIM-7 Sparrows fitted either. Only a few photo’s I’ve found even showed them with bomb racks fitted. So this is the stores config I’m going with, plus with some 500lb “slicks” fitted as well.

IMG_5481-L.jpg

So that’s where I’m pretty well at, at the moment. Other than those wing tips the fit on this model has just been superb….I’m loving it. We’ll just have to see how it goes when the main bit have to be joined.

Oh and one of the bigger 6 store BRU that comes with this model will be used on the centreline mount on my A-4K.

• Like 15

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th F-4E Phantom II – 6 Sqn RAAF, Amberley AFB 1971 - started

Ok not too much to report build wise, I’m sort of waiting for the new exhaust cans before I really get into her.

So far I’m really happy with how the model goes together and really so far no issues of note, just couple of minor ones. There is a bit of flash on some of the sprues along with so moulding issues, but these looked to be on common sprues that are shared with the earlier boxings……maybe the moulds are starting to age.

That said this model is streets ahead of a lot of modes currently around…..THIS IS a lovely model, can’t imagine what the new Tamiya one is going to be like!!

Anyway enough waffling…

I had planned to paint all the cockpit detail ( I even started to mask stuff) then a lazy spell came over me and I thought I’d try just dumping the cockpit decals on……the worse that could happen is I’d have to strip them off and go back to painting the decals. So with my strongest decals solution off I went….

i-dkx2kb8-XL.jpg

…. I am just blown away over just how well they turned out! The decals just hugged the panels, then when drowned in softening solution just hunkered down even further. They were initially super shiny, but the solution has given them a nice satin/flat finish.

i-RVTzp3s-XL.jpg

Far better than anything I could have done! The only modification I did was to first cut off the radar shroud in the rear cockpit, it was too much for the decal, it has since been replaced with some thin wall aluminium tube. Plus dots of gloss clear have been placed on the instrument faces. I’ll probably start the wiring for the rear instrument panel now to.

i-6mmRBGp-XL.jpg

i-hZrg4xL-XL.jpg

i-3g6KWvf-XL.jpg

The wings are together and set in the config I want, everything up but just the ailerons drooping, pretty much as would be seen on any flightline.

i-9Sjmvcx-XL.jpg

Everything fitted together quite nicely and without any serious issues.  The one I did note earlier was the lower joins for the outer wing/wing, there is a slight gab I couldn’t remove without affecting the upper join which was perfect. Again quite simple to correct and for the most part is nicely hidden.

i-gvjkx83-XL.jpg

The intakes have given me some grief only in the fact I’m not sure what is/was the correct position of the white/exterior colour demarcation. Depending of sources the outside camo colour either extended 9”, 2’, or 3’ into the intake, there seems to be no definitive answer. I need to make up my mine which way to go as I’m ready to paint this.

i-Rcqz48p-XL.jpg

I painted the engines because a small part of them is exposed in the underside (doubt it will be seen), but can’t go any further until the new cans arrive an I know how much needs to be cut off. 

i-3tTRq9w-XL.jpg

I have actually gotten quite a bit further with painting other bits as well. As mention I’m awaiting these new resin cans as they’re the only thing now holding up closing up the fuselage.

Plus for those interested below is a really interesting site on RAAF Phantoms, even a couple of pictures of them with missiles attached!

https://www.angelfire.com/extreme/raafphantoms/index.htm

Plus, I’ve lost it for the moment, I also found a site detailing on how and why the outer pylons were canted out on Phantoms…….. I just have to try and find it again.

• Like 14

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th F-4E Phantom II – 6 Sqn RAAF, Amberley 1971 - 04Feb update

G'day Rich,

The decals turned out very well, much easier and cheaper than Using PE and they come in the kit - winning! The only thing I don't like is the throttle quadrants are not convincing as decals alone

Could you perhaps file some sprue to a half round section and add these over the throttle quadrant positions on the side consoles?

cheers

Pappy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:30 PM, Pappy said:

G'day Rich,

The decals turned out very well, much easier and cheaper than Using PE and they come in the kit - winning! The only thing I don't like is the throttle quadrants are not convincing as decals alone

Could you perhaps file some sprue to a half round section and add these over the throttle quadrant positions on the side consoles?

cheers

Pappy

thanks Pappy, I did think about doing that, but to be honest once the fuselage is together and the canopies are in their open position you won't notice. Plus I now don't want to draw any more attention to the rear one as I have somehow managed to loose it!!!  :doh: 

23 hours ago, Marlin said:

Another great build Rich. :D

I hadn't plan to order the early E-version, but now I think I'll just have to get one.

/Bosse

it's a really nice model, you'll like it, plus if you know your way around the F-4E family , then most of what you need is already in this model. 

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work on your Phantom Rich.

Those decals have settled over the raised details in the cockpit better than any others I have seen, saves buying the Quinta set for this one.

I was so happy to see how those decals just snuggled down, could never have painted it that good!!!  Unfortunately (fortunately?) Quinta hasn't released a set for the F-4E yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

…I’m back and with nothing having dropped off (or new weird additions) and the thought of raw brains isn’t very appealing at all!!!! Been working at an old Uranium mine. 

…….and waiting for my triumphant return were some nice goodies

Some nice new bang seats and wheels…..

IMG_5519-L.jpg

…the kit ones were a bit basic and had no seat belts. I don’t like the new PE grab handles so I may use the kit ones instead…..

IMG_5524-L.jpg

Same goes for the wheels, the detail is just a bit better looking, unfortunately they’re not weighted, I still can’t get the proper ones from Zoukei-Mura yet.

IMG_5523-L.jpg

Plus some nice new exhaust cans and some masks (hope they fit!).

IMG_5520-L.jpg

Again the detail on the new resin bits are so much nicer.

IMG_5522-L.jpg

IMG_5521-L.jpg

You really don’t need AM stuff on this model, but like the Tamiya F-14’s (I replaced the same bits with resin) they just help finish of the build.

So to put these new bit to use……

… unfortunately there are no instructions on where to cut the engines to fit the new resin bits, so some careful measuring is required….and triple checking!! Where those funny looking moulded wiring bits is the right place…..

IMG_5525-L.jpg

….. then a good dollop of super glue…

IMG_5529-L.jpg

…. And some more test fitting and all looks good. I do need to add a tiny support under the rear of the engine for additional strength, the kit part has a support there.

IMG_5530-L.jpg

That’s all I managed to do yesterday, busy settling back into normal life again, today painting of engine bits and prep for closing up the fuselage.

• Like 8