***finished***Aussie Sunderland

Painted the engines, cowling and deice boots. Now to clean of the turrets, paint the framing and add the pilots, despite the promise didn’t get any decals on the fighters, aside from the sky band on the typhoon, which was then painted to match the spinner 

51142841036_6671f1e003_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

Not been able to do much modelling, as I’ve not had a bench as it’s being occupied for other things, but the props were the only thing I managed edit: and good news the new photo location seems to have shown the slate grey as the actual grey green it is 

51162336918_c80cbe6e00_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not been able to do much modelling, as I’ve not had a bench as it’s being occupied for other things, but the props were the only thing I managed

Hi Stu,

Looking nice :thumbsup:

The Airfix Sunderland may be old in age, and not so "Technically Advanced"

(which isn't always a good thing) but when built, looks Like a Sunderland

Great work on her, not too far to go now, look forward to seeing her all

done (no pressure  :D)

Thanks for posting your work on her

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no, disaster at the last, done the nose turret, went to sort the rear out, and this happened, can't find my spare :(  edit however only slightly different from a lanc one so I shall cheat 

51203578082_4dfb5dec85_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Now for the Matt coats and to have a go with the photo etch aerials as well as sticking those errant prop blades back on 

Hi Stu,

Good save on the turret👍

Looking really good.

Those errant props......:D

I knew a former Sunderland pilot who flew Mk III's with both 270 Squadron and 490 (NZ) Squadrons.

He told me about a "Errant" prop on a Sunderland a friend of his flew,that one day came off an engine

and decided that entry into the Fuselage sides was the best course of action.

Scared the life out of the crew, (no one injured thankfully).

Looking forward to seeing her finished:thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Think I’m going to have call this one off, nothing majorly disastrous but got some dirty fingers on still tacky varnish and had to repaint the entire sky parts and I suspect I won’t be able to get it done by midnight tommorow, will be done during the week.  

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure when this will be done, got to scratch build the bulb aerial as it’s vanished, sort out the bracing as the photo etch ones were a disasters as well as add all the photo etch aerials. But here it is now back ready for Matt varnishing edit I have now found a D/F teardrop fairing from another type that slightly smaller but with a few very thick coats of primer and generous green coats looks the part

51239143572_4479a4cace_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Been a while, failed to sort the bracing wires out with clear thread so have to skip them, but the real kicker was the windows, utterly failed with usual glossblack paint treatment and was going to go with just bare holes when I found on Amazon black stickers of just the right diameter, hopefully the varnished has sealed them in. Got the otherside to do once the varnish is touch dry 

51436883244_39371692a8_b.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice save Stu, good to know such things are out there. 

Indeed, had attempted to use a hole punch on some painted paper but the paint not only curled it up making punching the hole difficult but the act took the paint off, so looked on Amazon for some black card, accidentally  clicked on some black vinyl and in a bit of good fortune Amazon’s algorithm recommended them….though like in Batman begins with the bat mask ended up with plenty of spares….a few short of 7000…….

• Like 1

Etch fuselage aerials on. God photoetch is awful stuff, looks a mess with all different shades of wonkey . Now just the wing aerials and the gun barrels and it will be done edit; more work, oversized stand hole (lost a head from my multi-screwdriver inside) is too far forward

51440378293_e5a5d9844d_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

And it’s done, not happy with the wonky aerials, done my best to straighten them. When this gets replaced with an Italeri/Special hobby kit I will be picking one without the aerials for certain doubt the etch in those kits will be any easier to worth with.  Also a massive standhole that’s surplus as it won’t stay on the stand 

51454705915_8b21542b3f_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to ***finished***Aussie Sunderland