***finished***Aussie Sunderland

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nah, doing the top one in the TSS

Nice one,... I like that one better anyway! Hard to see,.... I take it that it is 10 Sqn RAAF based in the UK?

Be nice to see this, nearly pulled my Italeri one from the stash to do this scheme but decided if I do a 'big 'un' it'll be a 462 Sqn Halifax courtesy of Revell, Xtradecal and AML resin bits.

Good luck.

Davey.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Pat, had hoped to be all in on it but wanted to finish my Shackleton, which seems to be bit cursed, though it’s also blessed as despite suffered what seemed like two horrific accidents the damage was fairly trivial. It will be decal ready for the third time tommorow so hopefully not too long before I can focus on this. Also can possibly go one better, they built Sunderland local to me. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Sunderland was always a favourite of mine, loved building it as a youngster. It looks a good scheme on this aircraft.

I will keep watching! All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

Delayed a while as lost a couple of the portholes, dunno if its accurate to have the doors up and the bomb racks out but oh well too late now. Also got another Aussie project, going to repaint a diecast sea fury in the RAAF blue scheme, should be a simple job aside from the painting the spinner in situ.

51019297091_bfa05fa2a1_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

dunno if its accurate to have the doors up and the bomb racks out

Hi Stu,

Being true and honest, I wouldn't loos sleep over it :closedeyes:

Technically speaking if the trollies are out, the doors should be down,

as there are electrical cables/cords connecting for power as this photo below,

that if the doors came back up the cables/cords would be damaged

5907f9d6-69a0-434d-93d0-eabf0e013f11.jpg

However :wicked:........

In his book "They Shall Not Pass Unseen" Ivan Southall a Sunderland Pilot in the RAAF,

who served with 10 Squadron, tells of a  Sunderland "U" (Captained by Mouton from memory) that

had just straddled and sent a U Boat/crew to meet Davy Jones with 7 Depth Charges- 1 remaining

on trollies to keep just in case on the way home they see another U Boat.

Sure enough they spot one - however when going to release the Depth Charge, nothing happened :waiting:

The Previous U Boat, had put up some resistance and a round had damaged the area where the Bomb

Trollies went through the door  - Bad Day

Reason for story, tell em your Sunderland suffered similar and the Crew (which can be done) put the doors

up by hand to keep the draught out :whistle:

Though if you put the bombs on, I've got nada:D

Looking good, I know people knock the Airfix Kit, but they still look very much like a Sunderland

Look forward to more

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Not happy, finished the areas of concern and decided to fully sand it with fine paper and repaint it. Those coats are absolute insert expletive of choice and will have to strip it back to plastic or sacrifice the remaining raised panel lines and rivets to sand it out 😡

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 1

Disaster avoided, in the process of sanding it with 320 grit, hasn’t effected the raised detail but got the awful sky paint sorted. Realised the sky should be only on the lower fuselage so going to sand the top, paint the dark camoflage and then repaint carefully the sky underneath, probably will use the Revell Aqua I have instead of the dodgy Humbrol 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Disaster avoided, in the process of sanding it with 320 grit, hasn’t effected the raised detail but got the awful sky paint sorted.

Glad you got it sorted Stu - the pains of being a modeller eh:D

Looking good, look forward to seeing your model with the rest of her War paint on :)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:57 PM, LDSModeller said:

Glad you got it sorted Stu - the pains of being a modeller eh:D

Looking good, look forward to seeing your model with the rest of her War paint on :)

Regards

Alan

Cheers, here’s an in progress shot, will post again once the tops done 

51101679415_049a120888_b.jpg

• Like 4