Tim's Grumman E2C Hawkeye - COMPLETED.

• 2 weeks later...

The only other person I've known, who has previously built this kit is fellow BritModeller Gengriz who commented similarities with Fujimi.

A model which I've built.

Fujimi-E3-Hawkeye-P.jpg

Fujimi-E3-Hawkeye-S.jpg

So I dug out the Fujimi instructions.  Wow!  same parts and part numbers, for a lot of the kit.

Fujimi-1.jpg

Differences in the windscreen area, propellors, and main undercarriage.

Fujimi-2.jpg

• Like 2

As mentioned I think it is a Fujimi knock off.

A mate of mine tried to build one of these and had trouble getting the glue to hold the plastic together, he was using run of the mill styrene glue. He was getting continual seam splitting, not sure it has been finished to date

Good luck with yours Tim

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

As mentioned I think it is a Fujimi knock off.

A mate of mine tried to build one of these and had trouble getting the glue to hold the plastic together, he was using run of the mill styrene glue. He was getting continual seam splitting, not sure it has been finished to date

Good luck with yours Tim

Thanks for that warning Ray.     You've probably guessed that I'm still busy with two Interceptor builds at the moment, but I'm going to put the time to good use.

I had realised this kit is low quality plastic.  Now I'm going to wash the parts and their mating surfaces with washing up liquid.

Not normally a precaution that I'd take, but it sounds like good mitigation on this occasion.

Normally, if I've got fears about paint sticking because of release agent  -  I'd wash the assembled model.

Edited 20:00 same evening.

Parts all washed, and drying.   Now that I've really looked, yes cheap flexible plastic - almost like polythene.

• Like 2

Here are the two pilots in their cockpit.

Hawkeye-Pilots.jpg

Looking like pair of 8 year olds when the fuselage assembles around them!

With Ray's warning, I've added a lot of reinforcement inside the seams,  here my assembled wing and fuselage.

Hawkeye-Assembly.jpg

Dryfitted cockpit.

• Like 6