Gulf War Gallery

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

Here is my build of the Hasegawa Tornado F 3. It is in the markings of the composite unit made up of several RAF Squadrons that were sent to the Gulf to provide CAP for the bases.

DSC05000-crop DSC05002-crop DSC05004-crop

This has been an enjoyable GB and I would like to than Enzo for organising it and the various fellow modellers who have helped me with info on the colours, loadouts etc.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 15

This is my old Hasegawa F-111F kit which included the markings of this plane which was one of two used by the commander of the 48th TFW based at RAF Lakenheath prior to the Gulf War. It was named "Miss Liberty" and had the markings of the 4 Squadrons in the Wing on the Starboard side and a combination of their individual coloured tail flashes in Blue, Yellow, Red, and Green. It went to the Gulf but it seems the Commander used his other plane, Miss Liberty II during the deployment. I used the kit decals but added the mission marking which I knocked up myself. As it showed over 20 missions I loaded the plane out as it would have been near the end of the war when using 500lb LGB for "Tank Plinking".

DSC04990-crop DSC04992-crop DSC04994-crop

DSC04998-crop-crop

Hasegawa clearly intended the kit to be built with the flaps and slots down so I did it that way. However, Pappy pointed out in his EF-111A build that on the ground, once the hydraulic pressure bled off, the horizontal tail also drooped. Looking at pics on the Gulf War website I can see several pics showing this, but several others showing the tail in the normal "in - flight" position, and as that gave me a much stronger glue joint and reduced the risk of me knocking it off, I went with that option even though it may not be entirely accurate!

It is a nice kit and builds up well. 

Thanks to Enzo for setting up this GB, and to all those who have helped me with information on the plane.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 13

Kit: 1/48 Airfix SEPECAT Jaguar GR1

Subject: SEPECAT Jaguar GR1  - XZ358 - 'W' -'Diplomatic Service' -  Bahrain JAGDET - Operation GRANBY 1991

Details: Modelled as per reference pics from interweb, jaguar books etc

Misc: Mr Paint paints, Mr Color paints, Vallejo paints, Tamiya paints,  Oils, Tamiya Panel Line Accent - Dark Brown, Floreys Wash - Dark Dirt, various decal sheets (kit, Kits World, Model Alliance), Master Pitot, Eduard Brassin Resin CBU-87s 

Build Thread:

Iyi04kA.jpg

Pu5YmnD.jpg

eHCpAz9.jpg

JCvV0p8.jpg

QN8hfHy.jpg

• Like 14

This entry is of a Mig-25PD of the Iraqi Air Force which shot down a F/A-18C on the first night of the conflict. It is depicted as when it landed and the build thread is here:- 

resized_fd1b9d4a-e0c6-4ca9-a6ea-dc2e4a9a

resized_c28953d9-3db5-48af-906c-b6c22095

resized_c91f0baa-3be0-4c76-8fe3-adac5e75

resized_305a08df-3e78-49e9-b733-a2d37b46

resized_e49a9b62-28eb-4a4b-bfed-1a78a4eb

• Like 13

Here is my 1:48 Hasegawa F-15C.  Decals from the Bullseye Desert Storm Eagles set.  Paints are a mix of Ammo by Mig and Vallejo.  I included a resin cockpit from Aires, which was my first dive into aftermarket resin.  

Link to build log here:

F01728EC-FA82-4F33-AE1D-05CB2BD85C54

60F8A9B1-38BF-4DE7-9DA2-3752EA2716B8

617002F7-671B-48C8-B8CF-228F4CE5E09B

2F4F52AD-BB86-40E7-830D-D4D2B8F201EA

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

glad we got an extension, I used it all up :phew:

Mirage F1EDA Qatari Airforce

ingredients:

Italeri 1/48

• cockpit: Cobra company +  Rflight seat + Yaho IP
  • Resin nozzle,
  • RFlight DEFA cannon barrels,
  • Master Pitot
  • Decals: FFSMC roundels + Carpena markings
  • Reskit wheels
  • l'Arsenal Y bomb rack + Remora ECM pod
  • Eduard Matra Magic II
  • AMK MK82 bombs

I think that's it ;)

hope you like it!

the original for reference:

https://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/mirage/qatar/qa-77_6.jpg

WIP:

0T5BpM7.jpg

hsv1pXF.jpg

gZVhU5i.jpg

B87kV9n.jpg

pGwmdJq.jpg

more in better light hopefully soon! watch out the RFI section ;)

thanks for BMs and mods for having this fantastic and timely fitting GB!

seems it is quicker to stage such an operation in real life than in modelling though :D

cheers,

Werner

• Like 15