Indian Su-7BMK (Modelsvit 1/72) - 13sep21 back at her, with final decals on

On 6/7/2021 at 3:31 PM, RidgeRunner said:

I hope to get the forward canopy attached tomorrow, masked, filled and primer on...... 🤞

A little over optimistic! I realised that the Modelsvit canopy isn't a truly accurate part :(. I realised when I started marking out the vac form and saw that it should have the flange around the rear. On the kit is i simply marked out on the fuselage parts and so when you use it with the canopy closed it gives an impression of the real thing. My dilemma is then that, having noticed this, the fuselage halves of the slowly growing model doesn't have the recessed sides to the cockpit. What to do? Well, I have still gone for the using the kit forward windscreen and the va form rear but have had to carefully cut out the slots along the cockpit sides. See below:

B896h

Now, this is where I have cheated a litte because it appears that these recesses should extend right to the rear. However, as I have the fuselage assembled I can't get access to the further rear area without damaging the nince resin part. So I have opted to stop my cutting in line with the rear of the seat. My logic is that once assembled, with the thick canopy framing, the lack of fully extended recesses will not be visible .... 🤞

After cutting the Modelsvit canopy it was then obvious that the nice resin coaming ahead of the gun sight was too bulbous. You can see above that I started to take a sander to it. My heart missed a beat or two! Evenually, with some sanding/fitting/sanding/fitting etc I got there and the forward canopy was installed.   

B896i

After a period of curing I added the masks and then an application of PPP was administered 

B896j

Cleaned up

B896k

Not pretty yet. Give me time :)

All in all it has taken a few hours, interspersed with other jobs around the house. So much for my hope of getting the primer on! Next time ;)

Martin

• Like 7

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Indian Su-7BMK (Modelsvit 1/72) - 08jun21 all hope of priming went out the window! :(. I got some stuff done, though!

Hi all!

I've managed to make good progress with the Fitter :). First of all I had to address the matter of the appalling rescibing I had done on top of the fuselage. The Modelsvit panel lining is beautifully fine but it does quickly suffer at the hands of heavy and careless sanding. I had made a particularly bad job of it and tried to make reparation a couple of times using PPP. None of it worked and so I decided to fill everything and start again. I masked off the areas to fill and applied my Glopp (dissolved sprue). After a two day curing I set about sanding back to a smooth and plain surface. Fortunately the outlines of the panel and inspection hatches was still apparent and so I simply used my trusty Tamiya templates and set about restoring them.  

B896l

Once all that was done and I had got the rest of the painted parts masked I applied a thin coat of Humbrol 1 Primer. IT is worth saying here that the Eduard paint masks for the Su-7 are not accurate. They are not deep enough on the forward side windows.

B896M

All the above was yesterday's work and today I have been finding flaws here and there and get other bits done, such as the installation of the cannons. Another point here, that could be missed is that the two cannons are specific for the prt and starboard wings. This is because the two are offset internally to allow space for the huge shell casings and tracks behind the fuselage. 

Alongside this I have been building the open canopy, using the remaining kit part. For this I used very thin card, bevelling the edges of the canopy and cementing with Ultra Thin. 

B896n

B896s

Its a bit dusty but you can see the result above.  

Next was dealing with the various flaws. There wasn't many so the task was relatively easy. :) I then drilled out the weapons and tanks as well as the attachement points on the pylons. For this I used 0.5mm brass rod, super glued in place. One by one I matched the part to the pylon, drilled the holes and glued the rods in place. The resin bomb sets provided attachment loops but to be honest they look weak to me, hence the brass rod. 

B896p

The bombs are not yet cleaned up but I did set them up to be sure of a good fit, thus:

B896t

That is a pair of FAB-500 M-62s on the centre pylons and two FAB-250 M-54s on the outers.

B896o

She is looking the part now :)

Back again soon ...........

Martin

• Like 9

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Indian Su-7BMK (Modelsvit 1/72) - 15jun21 tidying, weapons fitment and test fitting, cannons, open canopy

!!!! I just now seen that the outer pylons of the Modelsvit kit are incorrect!!!! I am going search for replacements or make my own from card!! Damn!

Also, and I should have remembered from my first build, the flash plates ahead of the cannons are wrong!!! 

Martin

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Indian Su-7BMK (Modelsvit 1/72) - 16jun21 Screeching to a halt!! Discovered two kit faults :(
58 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@lasermonkey Hmmm ….. I agree. However the detail is good - where it’s accurate! ;). 

I see the KP kit has the right pylons! 

Martin

I’ve been tempted to get the KP kit just to compare. If it’s accurate enough (taking the price into consideration) I may well stick with that one in future.

• Like 1

@lasermonkey Dont be put off too much by what I’ve said about the Modelsvit. As a kit I do like it a lot. Yes, there are some inaccuracies but most kits have those. The recent ones I’ve discovered were partly my fault as I should have noticed before. I knew about the flash plates but simply forgot! It has to be said that all of these are fixable too.

I will certainly consider building the KP as a comparison but I wouldn’t strike the Modelsvit off my Xmas list ;). Of course, the KP is cheaper(ish) :).

Martin

• Like 1

I'm edging closer to getting the airbrush out! ;) Some may have seen my plea for help here:

It has been a very useful exercise and produced exactly what I needed, so thank you everyone. I have therefore decided on my paints for the build, as follows:

Paints

To the left you can see that I considered other brown shades but, based on @Linescriber's advice I've gone with the Terre Ombre, which has a red element. He did advise “Russian Brown” but I don’t have that to hand. These are all Colourcoats.

Today, however, I am removign the cannon blast plates in readiness for painting and masking. I have also removed the outer pylons and will shion replacements from the KP kit plus some card addition, or a modification of those I have just removed. I will post more images to show what I mean in time. 

Martin

• Like 2

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Indian Su-7BMK (Modelsvit 1/72) - 18jun21 paint choices

This is coming along great Martin. I've not tried any Modelsvit kits yet. I'm fancying a couple of their Mirage range as I've heard good stories about them. Always looked out for a decent SU-7 as well. Would you say the Modelsvit SU-7 is the way to go?

Terry

Just now, Terry1954 said:

Would you say the Modelsvit SU-7 is the way to go?

I'd say that it depends on your levels of tolerance for inaccuracies. Overall it is very good, and has fine detailing. The fit is generally good too. However, it was clearly designed with a Su-7B as a basis as the cannon blast plates are wrong. The outer pylons are also either wrong or not the most used type. The canopy, like the KP images I've seen, is okay if closed but if modelled open it needs work.  It certainly goes together with out the need for much filler. I've thrown a bit of aftermarket at her but that isn't essential. 

Is it worth e price over a KP? Well, that is purely a financial view. I haven't seen a KP but I do have one in the post so I will know soon enough. :)

Martin 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I haven't seen a KP but I do have one in the post so I will know soon enough

Thanks Martin, I appreciate your views and experience. Let us know what you think of the KP when it arrives?

Cheers

Terry

On 6/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Will do

Well, the KP arrived yesterday. It is an old boxing that includes a 1/200 version too! 

Upon opening the box it is clear that it is an old kit, with yellowed decals and instruction sheet. The kit is moulded in white styrene. Immediately is clear that it has raised detail, and often a little crude. It does, of course, cover the BKL, the soft terrain version, and so, as parts, could/might support a conversion of the Modelsvit kit, which can already see as my preferred option despite its few correctable inaccuracies. The KP will need aftermarket stuff to get a crisp build, particularly the nose cone and cockpit.

I have not removed anything from the sprues and so I can’t comment on the fit. However, the few online reviews seem to mark it highly on this aspect.

In the end it is going to be the decision of any potential builder based on the financial aspect, with the Modelsvit being a little more pricey, and a consideration of the depth of detail that is expected. For me the Modelsvit wins.

Martin

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Well, the KP arrived yesterday. It is an old boxing that includes a 1/200 version too! 

Cute, isn't she?  :) 

Cheers,

Andre 

On 6/6/2021 at 7:14 AM, RidgeRunner said:

I agree and to me they beat off anything from the modern stable :). Of course, I grew up with these machines, rather than Fulcrums and Flankers, and so they are entrained in my schoolboy memory. The Fitter was a brute. It was strong, very flyable and big. The only exception to the “modern” types for me is the Su-17/22. I have a Modelsvit to build sometime as a Peruvian machine. 

Each to their own, Davey. I went BMK simply because I wanted another Indian on my shelf, and to pair with my TACDE MiG-21FL. Don’t be put off by the fit issues I describe. They can all be overcome. If you accept it isn’t a Tamiya or Eduard you’ll be happy :). I fancy a Su-17M2 too :).

Martin

Good going so far.

I ended up getting a 'second hand' BMK which had the Pavla Resin Cockpit set included for almost the same price as a new kit, I also got a Pavla nose cone while I was at it, the kit one looks blunted! Will be doing the Soviet camo one when I get round to it.

Also, I started a 'Red Stars' Group build over on the GB Chat if you're interested in signing up?

Davey.

15 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Good going so far.

I ended up getting a 'second hand' BMK which had the Pavla Resin Cockpit set included for almost the same price as a new kit, I also got a Pavla nose cone while I was at it, the kit one looks blunted! Will be doing the Soviet camo one when I get round to it.

Thanks Davey. A few bumps along the way but with finges crossed I continue.  I have today got the KP outer pylons on. They now look right, although I think they might be 0.25mm or so shallow. They'll work for me. I have also drilled them, insterted the brass attachment rods and, once the Tamiya Thin has set, I will fill arounfd them with PPP. Later this pm I hope to get a second thin primer coat on and the underside grey tomorrow 🤞

Regarding the GB I'm not sure. I like the interaction of the GBs but I allow the pressure to get to me. I vowed to give them a break but, who knows, I might relent! ;)

Martin 

• Like 1

Back to the Fitter build :).

Today I've installed the replacement outer wing pylons, as I said earlier. I have test fitted all the various stores and all seems to be okay :).  I also, got some PPP along the canopy flange to smooth the join as well as getting PPP around the new pylons. In addition I got the underwing tanks sanded and PPP'd again. The interior of the canopy has been masked too. Thereafter I've got all the remain parts together, including the Res-Kit wheels and given everything, including the new pylons, a blast of very thin Humbrol 1 Primer, my priming weapon of choice!  

FAB-250 M54

B896v

FAB-500 M62

B896w

Everything awaiting the airbrush! :)

B896x

Unless anything goes wrong I will be painting the undersides tomorrow, after giving the model a pre-shade of black. 

Back soon!

Martin

Edit: the tailplanes are in the box and primed too :)

• Like 3

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Indian Su-7BMK (Modelsvit 1/72) - 21jun21 New pylons on, last bits of priming done, a little final PPP and ready for colour!

As promised @lasermonkey and Terry @Terry1954, here are some shots of the KP. You can see that she does include a split canopy! :)

KP7

KP6

KP5

KP4

KP3

KP2

and the mini-Fitter :)

KP1

Martin

Edit 02nd July 2021 - @Terry1954 and @lasermonkey, I found this too https://indy-amps.weebly.com/kp-172nd-scale-soviet-suchoj-su-7-bkl-jet-fighter.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Indian Su-7BMK (Modelsvit 1/72) - 21jun21 New pylons on, last bits of priming done, a little final PPP and ready for colour and KP kit photos!
18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

after giving the model a pre-shade of black. 

I decided to forego the preshading. It isn't something I have ever done and I think it lends itself better to acrylics. The surface detail of the Modelsvit kit is very fine and so I dont want to add a further layer of paint and potentially reducing the impact of that. To be honest I'm not sure it always works well unless done by a skilled artist.

Martin

On 6/21/2021 at 9:40 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Regarding the GB I'm not sure. I like the interaction of the GBs but I allow the pressure to get to me. I vowed to give them a break but, who knows, I might relent! ;)

Davey @DaveyGair, I can't see the GB. Is it a proposal?

Martin