Monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle

Ed Darter

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the Monogram offering from the mid 80s is the same one as from the late 70s? Albeit with possibly different payload. I'm assuming it is but thought I would check you guys as you are far more knowledgeable than me! 

Thanks

Ed

I doubt very much that any model manufacturers will be issuing new models of the Space Shuttle. 

As far as I'm aware, when they were still separate companies, both Revell and Monogram issued their own 1/72 models of the Shuttle. The two companies merged quite a while ago so whenever Revell issues a 1/72 Shuttle, it's never really clear which one of the two different  toolings they are using.

FWIW Revell's Orbiter had full cabin detail (and a removable roof so you could see it) but the payload door hinges were non-scale. It may also have had the tile detail inscribed but I never built one so can't be sure if that's correct.

Monogram's didn't have the cabin detail but the door hinges were accurate (and quite fragile) so you paid your money and took your choice. Of course Monogram also issued the full stack as well as the standalone Orbiter.

Bottom line: if the box mentions cabin detail then it must be the original Revell one.

I had the Monogram challenger back in the late 70s early 80s and as I was quite young made a right mess of it. I do remember the cargo bay hinges being particularly fragile though so that ties up nicely with above. I'm looking at trying to get another one to make a better job of it but they seem to be so expensive on the 2nd hand market 🙄

5 hours ago, Ed Darter said:

I had the Monogram challenger back in the late 70s early 80s and as I was quite young made a right mess of it. I do remember the cargo bay hinges being particularly fragile though so that ties up nicely with above. I'm looking at trying to get another one to make a better job of it but they seem to be so expensive on the 2nd hand market 🙄

Revell has announced a reissue 1/72 orbiter scheduled for March 2021. It will most likely be the Revell rather than the Monogram tooling, but both kits are of comparable quality & accuracy. If you have your heart set on the Monogram, the re-release should bring secondary market prices for both kits down a bit.

Edited by CT7567

Ew the reissue sounds interesting! Might explain why there are quite a few on ebay at the moment (albeit at fairly silly money for most). Not sure whether to hang on or try and grab one now.

Would love a full stack one but they are out of my price range. 

Will investigate the hinge thing as there seem to be more revell ones than monogram, don't want the doors to open so if the revell one can be made to look more scale regarding hinges that's a definite consideration. 

Have had a look at a review video of the Revel one on YouTube and it has the tile details as raised lines, which raises concerns for me as to how I would deal with getting rid of glue seams without damaging that detailing. 

I think the Monogram one would be the better bet but as stated earlier in the thread it's likely to be the Revel tooling that's rereleased.

Yeah have watched those videos on the Monogram build. The decals do look good. Never realised the underside was so grey! I like how he replicates the thermal blankets as well.

Good point about scrubbing the raised detail on the Revel one, undoubtedly quicker than trying to keep it all intact while removing seams. 

Can't find any further details on the Revell re-release for this March though, is it definite? 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Filbert_Wang said:

Out of interest, if one was to get a 1/72 Shuttle model which would be the one to go for at the moment? I see the Revell one is available occasionally for around £50 or so

The Revell kit is actually due for reissue next month :-

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV5673?result-token=B85uS

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 8:36 AM, Ed Darter said:

Is the Revell one still slated for next month? One site I've seen is taking deposits but showing delivery as September! 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/revell-172-space-shuttle-discovery/

Wonderland are saying 16th April 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/26/2021 at 10:38 AM, Davidrebolton said:

I really do wish they would also re-release the 1/72 Shuttle with boosters and tank again! 

Me too. Been wanting one for years now. 

never about when I have the money ☹️

cheers 

DSJ

• 5 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 7:38 PM, Davidrebolton said:

I really do wish they would also re-release the 1/72 Shuttle with boosters and tank again! 

Same but I guess when it is re-released the price point would probably be no different to buying it on the secondary market now.