Sherman II - Dragon and Asuka - 1/35

Very nice, you've done a fantastic job, I really like the old hatch that you have placed on the front fender, that's a cool little addition to the model, and as others have stated the dusty weathering looks good :thumbsup:

Best thing to do with that front roadwheel that's getting pulled up by the tracks is to simply glue it at the suspension arm pivot point maybe? That should stop it getting pulled up.

Matt

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, echen said:

Awesome. The dust effect and weathering is really good.  :goodjob:👏 👏 👏

On 3/20/2021 at 10:40 AM, vytautas said:

Great Result! Looks really good, especially dusty surface, you did a great job. Congratulations

Vytautas

Thank you guys for your kind words.

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Very nice, you've done a fantastic job, I really like the old hatch that you have placed on the front fender, that's a cool little addition to the model, and as others have stated the dusty weathering looks good :thumbsup:

Best thing to do with that front roadwheel that's getting pulled up by the tracks is to simply glue it at the suspension arm pivot point maybe? That should stop it getting pulled up.

Matt

Thank you Matt. Yeah, I should glue them in the first place. I'll try to adjust the tension, because idler wheel is movable on this kit, so you can adjust track tension by a little bit, but if that does not work, I'll definitely glue them.

One hatch lid was actually removed and placed elsewhere quite often on those early Shermans. As I understand (though it may be wrong), they lacked effective locking mechanism, leading to crew injuries when the lid was abruptly closed by the nearby blasts. Usually, the lid without periscope was removed, especially in the later stages of El Alamein battle and afterwards, until proper locking mechanism was introduced.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 1

Evening everyone,

Archer Fine Transfers decals for 3H tank finally arrived, after traveling for 3 months around the globe (literally). So I was able to finally finish my Dragon build.

The only problem I encountered is that for some reason, dry-transfer was not working. It seems that there's no problem with decals, I tested them on different surfaces and it worked. They didn't want to adhere to this tank in particular :)

So I had to use film to convert them to wet transfers and this worked perfectly.

This time, I decided to go with a cleaner finish, so I did everything the same as I did with 9L build, just toned weathering down a bit.

Here's the result:

T3

T4

I added few German jerrycans because they were used a lot in this period by the British.

T6

T1

T8

And here's the real thing.

4795114_orig

Both Dragon and Asuka kits are really nice and both of them have some smaller accuracy issues, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Dragon kit is maybe a bit more detailed and offers more spare parts while Asuka kit is more joy to build (Dragon's PE sand shields are really painful to deal with). I really think that you can't get wrong with any of them. If it's a version with Magic Tracks (mine version was with DS tracks unfortunately), I would probably go for Dragon, otherwise, I would go for whichever is available. Just have in mind that Dragon kit is missing 50 cal MG, so you will have to get it elsewhere.

That's it I would say, they'll go to RFI soon.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Nenad

• Like 10

Both look outstanding, excellent work.

Something extra you can add is the fuel stain (MiG actually sells this as a product) that has run down the sides of the hull.  Not so much colour as it is somewhat glossy, appearing a bit darker to surrounding area.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JackG said:

Both look outstanding, excellent work.

Something extra you can add is the fuel stain (MiG actually sells this as a product) that has run down the sides of the hull.  Not so much colour as it is somewhat glossy, appearing a bit darker to surrounding area.

regards,

Jack

Thank you Jack!

Haven't tried fuel stain products yet. How do you apply them?

Nenad

Pretty certain the MiG products are simply enamel 'washes' judging by their strong smell.  Just apply with brush to a desired pattern and let dry, no fixative required.  Here is it applied to my Stuart V:

3fmfwjK.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1