Yakovlev Yak-3

Finally breaking my 2020 run of Luftwaffe fighters with this 1/48 Yak-3 from Eduard.  An old and extremely basic kit, but the fit is decent and it builds up fairly well.  I'm still getting to grips with VVS colours so I mixed these shades from what I had available - I'd be interested in any comments on them.  I think possibly the underside blue may be a little too dark, not sure.  I used an AML decal set, which proved to be horribly fragile and I ended up having to use some of the Eduard stars after the AML stars disintegrated.  Fortunately, I managed to get the other AML decals on without completely destroying them.

Finished in the markings of Lt Col Boris Yeryomin, 31st GIAP, May 45.  Mix of indoor and outdoor pics, due to variable weather ;) 

EvAIsln.jpg?13aP42Eh.jpg?1rNBS0bl.jpg?1F2D9Xed.jpg?1AlSQDVq.jpg

rhP1iIi.jpg?1XDeRCq0.jpg?1nlHVV0j.jpg?1yhddBAP.jpg?1

• Like 37

That's a neat build of a very attractive aircraft (the Yak-3 and -9 are among my favorites of the Soviet arsenal).

In my opinion you captured the color scheme quite well!

I'm a bit irritated by the red stars along the cowling which seem to be printed out-of-center. A common problem with some decal manufacturers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

That's a neat build of a very attractive aircraft (the Yak-3 and -9 are among my favorites of the Soviet arsenal).

In my opinion you captured the color scheme quite well!

I'm a bit irritated by the red stars along the cowling which seem to be printed out-of-center. A common problem with some decal manufacturers.

Thanks Roman - glad to hear the colours seem reasonable :) 

Re the victory stars - these are from the AML set and they came in two pieces, a white base set, followed by a second set with red overlay.  The decals were so fragile that I couldn't quite position the red overlay accurately enough before they began to disintegrate - so the fault is mine (or maybe AML's).. :( 

4 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Very nice job. The canopy is crystal clear, great job on that. Did you polish it? The colours look fine to me. 

Pete

Thanks Pete :) 

No, the canopy is straight off the sprue, masked and stuck on.  It is a nice clear moulding though.  I've got a Unimodel 109G-14 on the bench now, and the clear parts on that look like the kind of frosted glass you might get on bathroom windows ;) 

• Sad 1

I'm liking it Werdna, the colours look about right to my eyes, including the underside blue, not so bright as many builds would have us believe I think is best. Overall a beaut job, pity about the decal hassles.

Steve.

• Like 1