1/72nd Academy Mustang Mk.III, 250 Sqn, Italy 1945, rocket equipped.

Hiya Folks,

I`ve been on a bit of a roll with Mustangs lately and one that I have always fancied doing is a rocket equipped aircraft flown by 250 Sqn in Italy at the end of the war. With the release of the Airfix Beaufighter with the post war rocket rails I had something to work with as these Mustangs had a similar fit, albeit mounted on a totally different pylon. The pylon on my model is a bit of a dogs dinner at the moment and I intend to replace it at some point, but hopefully the recently announced Arma P-51B/C/ Mustang Mk.III kit might include a set.... it does look to be an excellent kit!

Sods law,..... after I`d decided to built LD-Y despite not knowing the serial as it is unreadable below the tail in the reference photo, and had painted and decalled the model,...I found another photo of a 250 Sqn aircraft, serial and all...... but the camouflage pattern was different,.... so as it was too late to change it,....that is a future project fo the Arma kit. 

This aircraft, LD-Y appears to be an ex 112 Sqn aircraft or at least wears the upper engine cowlings from one as it has an eye rom the sharks mouth still visible and the codes are applied on top of an obviously painted out set from another unit,..... 250 Sqn appear to have received a hotch potch of Mustang Mk.III`s from units that had converted onto the Mk.IV and in the few photos that I have seen their finish looks quite worn to say the least. 

Here is the model;

DSCF9523-NEW.jpg

DSCF9474-NEW.jpg

DSCF9475-NEW.jpg

DSCF9478-NEW.jpg

DSCF9487-NEW.jpg

DSCF9481-NEW.jpg

DSCF9482-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

PS,.... Guess who forgot to add the seat straps,.... doh! Told you my eyes are going! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 48

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent work Tony, a cracking Mustang. I love the aircraft where bits have been replaced and left in their previous colours it makes for interesting modelling subjects.

Great job fella

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... yeah like you I try to go for the more off beat stuff mate.

3 hours ago, swralph said:

Looks great Tony.😀

Thanks mate.

9 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

That’d ruin someone’s day! Another very nice build

Sure would,...... same firepower as a naval cruiser,.... and cheers,.... glad you like it mate. 

• Like 2

Now then now then: that looks really rather nice. Really interesting rocket fit, which I hadn't seen before. And nice combo with the fillet version and camo etc. Lovely, and one forgets how nicely the Academy kit can go together.

Justin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build and great finish, excellent weathering !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman,.... glad you like it mate. 

3 hours ago, Bedders said:

Now then now then: that looks really rather nice. Really interesting rocket fit, which I hadn't seen before. And nice combo with the fillet version and camo etc. Lovely, and one forgets how nicely the Academy kit can go together.

Justin

Cheers Justin,..... yeah some thing a bit different,.... and the Academy kit is lovely,.... although the forthcoming Arma P-51BC/ Mustang III may just supercede it? 

Excellent piece of modelling Tony ,as for your eyes mine went long ago  ,well its either that or my mind .I thought this when i found three germans from WW1 fighting my roman legion ,must seek medical help.🤪👍

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A nice 'stang Tony & a suitably interesting set up on it, just the sort of thing I can see doing with some Arma ones if they come up to scratch.

Steve

Thanks Steve... having seen the computer graphics for the Arma kit,.... it looks amazing. 

11 hours ago, Robert Armstrong said:

Looks cracking, as usual mate. Hopefully this I'll be able to get down to yours and see this "in the flesh" so to speak

Thanks Bob,.... you know you are always welcome mate,.... the sooner this plague is over the better eh! 

11 hours ago, Homer said:

Excellent piece of modelling Tony ,as for your eyes mine went long ago  ,well its either that or my mind .I thought this when i found three germans from WW1 fighting my roman legion ,must seek medical help.🤪👍

Thanks Homer,..... LOL,.... are you sure you don`t work for the BBC Histirical Drama Unit,..... they make those sorts of cocks ups on a regular basis!! 

10 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Despite it all, it came out great! :thumbsup:

Miguel

Thanks Miguel,.... yeah it didn`t beat me. 

Thanks,

Tony

• Like 1

Excellent job Tony! 👏The Academy kits have been one of the best P-51 B/C kits in 1/72 scale so far. I am really looking forward to the Arma Hobby Kit as well. As I have mentioned in other threads before I really like the way you research the individual aircraft and their codes for your projects. In my view, you are adding a lot of historical value to the planes you build. I simply like the idea of doing a particular plane rather than sticking to the decal sheet that is included in the box. Concerning this particular Mustang III which is obviously a former 112 Squadron aircraft I have an educated guess about its serial number. According to the records it is known that the following Mustang IIIs have served with 250 Squadron:

FB334

HB952

HB960

HB961

KH522

KH538

KH597

The last one in this list also served with 112 Squadron and had the Code GA K, so it may be possible that LD Y is actually KH597.

• Like 2

Very nicely done and good surface finish, Excellent attention to detail with the double row of fasteners on top of the engine cowl

built 3 of this kit a year a go so I know its issues. good job 👍

Mark

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

Excellent job Tony! 👏The Academy kits have been one of the best P-51 B/C kits in 1/72 scale so far. I am really looking forward to the Arma Hobby Kit as well. As I have mentioned in other threads before I really like the way you research the individual aircraft and their codes for your projects. In my view, you are adding a lot of historical value to the planes you build. I simply like the idea of doing a particular plane rather than sticking to the decal sheet that is included in the box. Concerning this particular Mustang III which is obviously a former 112 Squadron aircraft I have an educated guess about its serial number. According to the records it is known that the following Mustang IIIs have served with 250 Squadron:

FB334

HB952

HB960

HB961

KH522

KH538

KH597

The last one in this list also served with 112 Squadron and had the Code GA K, so it may be possible that LD Y is actually KH597.

Thanks for looking all of that up and passing it on and I appreciate your kind comments too,......

Cheers

Tony

17 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Tony - no-one will ever know about the harness 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,..... LOL!! 

16 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Very nicely done and good surface finish, Excellent attention to detail with the double row of fasteners on top of the engine cowl

built 3 of this kit a year a go so I know its issues. good job 👍

Mark

Thanks Mark,.... yeah its a decent kit but the Arma kit looks like it will be another generation on in quality with parts aimed at a British one too like the louvres over the lower nose intake holes. 

6 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Spitfires Sunderland's Hurricanes & now Mustangs your spoiling us Tony :worthy:

Another brilliant looking model with an interesting back story 

as always thanks for sharing 

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn,.... I like to jump round topics mate,..... DH Hornet`s coming soon along with a couple more Airfix Spit Vc`s!

Cheers fella`s,

Tony  

• Like 1