Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant 1:72 -A Test piece

Here's a little model I've finished more as a test piece for RAF cammo scheme with my airbrush than anything else. Its the new Airfix mould. Its a great little kit for the money . Iits also a tribute to the very brave men who flew this aircraft. Almost suicidal but they still did so!

I used the Hataka RAF paints set. Not too sure Bout the Dark Earth from this kit? Looking at the airfix box art and paint instructions it looks a touch too dark for a defiant. I'm not an expert but what do you all think? 

I ďidnt use any primer on this kit ... Some of the decals fell apart so I had to change the squadron code lol its finish with AK gloss which I thinned down with water to 50:50 and applied by brush

One of the 303s broke off and the Carpet monster ate it... damn! The pitot tube is made from a paper clip and painted lol 

1:72 is not my favourite scale I find it hard as its a bit small for me these days.

Anyway errors and omissions apart.. I hope you enjoy this one! 

20210108_095227

Some more pictures

20210108_095142

20210108_095155

20210108_095209

Added some new pictures taken outside in natural light

20210111_125043

20210111_125002

20210111_124750

20210111_124852

20210111_125111

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
Adding new pics
  • Like 31

Congratulations on a very nice piece of work, i think the dark earth looks fine ,as an aircraft would have looked freshly painted from the factory. Most pictures i have seen are of an aircraft in service, so the paintvwould have lightened with service, well done 👏

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on a very nice piece of work, i think the dark earth looks fine ,as an aircraft would have looked freshly painted from the factory. Most pictures i have seen are of an aircraft in service, so the paintvwould have lightened with service, well done 👏

Thanks Homer. Not my best work.. thanks for your appreciation!

Yes i think you have a good point there. I didn't think about this... of course ! 

The AK Glass Varnish was ok. Some panel lines didn't want to take the Panel Line black..

1 hour ago, Jeff G said:

I'd have to agree with others, the Dark Earth looks to be quite accurate. Good job!

Thank you Jeff. It looks good i think . Thanks for your postive comment! Much appreciated

36 minutes ago, Brigbeale said:

Beautifully turned out Defiant

Well done!

:clap2:

Thanks BrigB! glad you like it! Cheers, Andy

It's been really nice to get such a lot of positive responses to this model. Ever the severe critic of my own work it's nice to know I'm perhaps doing something right! 

Id like some advice about using the Tamiya Black Panel line. 

It seems to me it works beautifully on a virgin model, flowing through the lines . Once I've painted the model and used AK varnish , in this case , the gloss version then Reapplying the panel lines seems a bit hit and miss.? It doesn't flow along the panel lines as well as I'd expected it to. What might I be doing wrong? Any advice on improving my method would be great! Thanks

Andy 

7 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

I would say the Dark Earth is spot on :like: i have seen many models where the Dark Earth colour is too light , 

Col i salute you , great model.  :goodjob:

Cool Keith. Thanks fir your appreciation. Maybe I need an eye test or I'm colour blind lol

Regards, 

Andy

Hi Andy

I am no expert but the DE looks good to me and you have done a grand job there fella.  You  might have to make a sacrifice to the carpet monster once a month of a bit of plastic that you don't need in a bid to prevent it eating other parts!!! It is frustrating, I lost a Photo etched spoked wheel tge other day and wrongly  blamed the carpet monster turned out it was in my slipper!!! I imagine there will be he'll to pay next time a bit drops on the floor now !!!

Great work on your Defiant. Looks great.

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Andy

I am no expert but the DE looks good to me and you have done a grand job there fella.  You  might have to make a sacrifice to the carpet monster once a month of a bit of plastic that you don't need in a bid to prevent it eating other parts!!! It is frustrating, I lost a Photo etched spoked wheel tge other day and wrongly  blamed the carpet monster turned out it was in my slipper!!! I imagine there will be he'll to pay next time a bit drops on the floor now !!!

Great work on your Defiant. Looks great.

Chris

Thanks Chris.. it's growing on my more and I did enjoy making it! SWMBO saw me putting it on display in the dining room and asked.. Is THAT Landing or Taking off? LOL?..  No comment! I'm not saying anything without my lawyer lol 😂 

• Haha 1

Cats ... Slippers... Carpet Monsters.. Sprue 'Flash' Ogres..  making models seems fraught There be sea monsters! Lol. Thinking  BM should start a Carpet Monstor Temple Activity thread? We can make sacrifices there and appease these monsters digitally of course ! 😂😂😂   Are your Slippers like the Tardis? Maybe there is the whole Masters and Eduard Range of PE parts lurking there! 😜😂😱

I have a a Trumpeter kit with some PE parts .. never used these before so must trawl the forums for the method! 😂

Spelling syntax and added text
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

It looks like a very nicely done build. The biggest let down I can see is what I can't see. I think some better lighting in your photos & it'd be spot on. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Yes I agree .. the photos are a bit dark..I should redo them in natural light outside thIs week. I sort of rushed them as was juggling boring work. 72nd is your preferred scale I think? I'll redo the pics for you no problem. I think the paint is a little too thick at this scale.. see what you think when I post new pics? Thanks 

Andy 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It looks like a very nicely done build. The biggest let down I can see is what I can't see. I think some better lighting in your photos & it'd be spot on. :)

Steve.

There you go Steve.. new pics in natural light Enjoy,😀 About the best light I can get on an English Winters day  and its freezing cold lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Those make it look much better & bring out the colours you've used nicely. I'd say from that Hataka have their shades pretty much right & your Defiant really is spot on. :)

Steve.

Excellent. Thanks Steve. I wondered about the DE.. too dark when dried? and sort of pinky when applied! Seems like their set gets a General seal of approval. Good call on the pictures. Thanks.. I won't rush them next time😉😂

Cheers!

kind Regards

Andy 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Excellent. Thanks Steve. I wondered about the DE.. too dark when dried? and sort of pinky when applied! Seems like their set gets a General seal of approval. Good call on the pictures. Thanks.. I won't rush them next time😉😂

Cheers!

kind Regards

Andy 

Looks good. I have done the 151 Sqn Sharkmouth Overall Black one and have a Day fighter to do as well.  Lovely kit.

Regarding the Dark Earth, if it was lighter it would look OK, if it was darker it would look OK, just as the Dark Green can vary in 'Greeness' and 'Grayness' it all depends on the colour variation supplied, who thinned the paint and applied it. Just my opinion, I never obsess over such things, life's to short!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1