1/48th F/A-18E "Rhino" - CAG VF-31 Tomcatters

This was another build that I didn’t quite complete in time for last years “in the Navy” GB…..I was a few months late with this one!

This model had a swag of AM stuff thrown at it…….and maybe too much, some of the bit were probably more required more effort than they were worth, but I got to play with some cool stuff.

The only real issue I had was with the red lacquer paint I used, this was not my normal MRP stuff but a new one from SMS. It seemed to react with the MRP Gloss coat, going slightly cloudy, it’s the first time I’ve ever had this issue. I managed to recover it mostly with subsequent flat clear coats, but the discolouration is still present.

I am looking forward to seeing how the new Meng F/A-18E builds!

Attacked is the link to the original build, thank you for looking.

Model: Hasegawa 1/48th F/A-18E Super Hornet

Paint:  Mr Paint Lacquers and SMS Lacquer, Tamiya & Mr Hobby Acrylics, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer 

Extras: 

A.M.U.R. Reaver - F/A-18E/F/G Meshes

Eduard – GBU-38 Thermally protected set. 

Eduard – Superbug Upgrade set

Eduard – Super Hornet ECS Pipes

Fightertown Decals - F/A-18E/F Rhino Airwing CAGs

Reskit - F-18 Super Hornet Type 2 Exhaust Nozzles

Reskit - F-18 Super Hornet wheel set

Wolfpack – AN/ASQ ATFLIR set

Wolfpack - F/A-18E Cockpit set

IMG_5359-XL.jpg

IMG_5360-XL.jpg

IMG_5361-XL.jpg

IMG_5364-XL.jpg

IMG_5365-XL.jpg

IMG_5367-XL.jpg

IMG_5369-XL.jpg

IMG_5370-XL.jpg

IMG_5371-XL.jpg

IMG_5372-XL.jpg

IMG_5373-XL.jpg

• Like 71

Hello TrickyDick,

Excellent build and very colorfull indeed. You invested quite alot of pocket money into this build, but it shows off in the end.

Regards, Orion

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Felix Rules!     👍

But since he's been carrying that bomb since biplane days it's got to be ready to explode. The fuse can't be that long! Beautiful job on the kit, you've combined realistic weathering with the CAG scheme to create a very special bug. Nice work!

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:05 AM, Gidge said:

Did you need to put in any nose weight?

opps, sorry I only just found your comment.

From memory I didn't need any weight, she has quite a long wheel base and long nose, even with the AM exhausts. But I may have added about 5gm's just to be on the safe side.

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Felix Rules!     👍

But since he's been carrying that bomb since biplane days it's got to be ready to explode. The fuse can't be that long! Beautiful job on the kit, you've combined realistic weathering with the CAG scheme to create a very special bug. Nice work!

Cheers,

Bill

thanks Bill.

Old Felix does certainly get around a bit.....

There should be a couple more showing up towards the end of the year (probably right at the end), an F-4J and a F-14A. I have the full set of jet aircraft used by VF-31 in 1/48th, (including the super rare Collect-Aire F2H-3/4 Banshee resin beast), which I will slowly adding to the built collection.

Here is one I did earlier and is the start of the series, and Felix!

IMG_3888-XL.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Here is one I did earlier and is the start of the series, and Felix!

Great stuff! Felix the Cat was one of my favourite cartoons when I was a kid (yes, I am that old). I think his sidekick Vavoom can fill in for the bomb if the fuse goes out.

I had that same idea - build a model of every aircraft flown with Felix art - and started compiling a list. There are many, many aircraft going back to biplane days. (I told you I was that old.) I haven't got too far on my list though - just an F-14. I have kits and decals for quite a few more and I'll get to them eventually.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1