Inspired by a good read BEA DC3 AIRFIX 1/72

Hi everyone, this build was inspired by reading Flight from the croft by Bill Innes, who as a young boy living in the outer hebrides manages to fulfill his dream of becoming a pilot, firstly in the RAF and then joining BEA and flying all the classic airliners of the day from the DC3 through to the B767. This book appeals to me for two reasons as he tells of flying some of my favourite british airliners and also talks about flying the DC3 on routes in Scotland which is my favourite place and have been visiting regularly for the last 50 years during which time I have been able to visit all the airfields mentioned in the book so reading his tales brings it to life again. Now obviously all you DC3 buffs out there will know the airfix dc3 does not accurately portray the BEA pionair class but as I am not brave enough to try and correct it I decided to accept it as being representative of the era albeit not strictly correct, it will give me pleasure as a  reminder of that wonderful period in time, also a big thank you to my lifelong friend and fellow member Lindan for donating to me the kit and decal sheet following his retirement from the hobby. Cheers Michael.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   50808595521_05da82cc82_k.jpgDSC01813 by michael hobday, on50807852413_cb16c2b65f_k.jpgDSC01812 by michael hobday, on Flickr              50808708862_d91aaa106c_k.jpgDSC01811 by michael hobday, on Flickr50808707892_8b10c0af6a_k.jpgDSC01810 by michael hobday, on Flickr50807853378_41643e3ebb_k.jpgDSC01809 by michael hobday, on Flickr50808708192_89be6e96d5_k.jpgDSC01808 by michael hobday, on Flickr                                                                                                                                          

• Like 28

Hi Michael, one of your best ,I new you would do a great job on DC-3. The display case is first class. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Always love the DC-3 in its many forms!  Such a beautiful form, and you've done a splendid job with this one.  How did you achieve the natural metal finish?

Hello, the metal finish is Alclad polished aluminium lacquer which is sprayed onto a gloss black base,really nice and easy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Cheers Michael..

A lovely model.

I'm sure I recall these "keyline" BEA Daks occasionally appearing over the houses across the road as they approached Northolt long, long ago, when I was a small boy. 

Those and the BEA Ambassadors, along with numerous USAF olive green Daks, Thunderbolts, Mustangs, a few Sabres and the ubiquitous Pembrokes, Doves and Herons with the occasional Spitfire, plus a Supermaribne Swift (I'm sure I recall seeing one of these 'badly parked' across the road on the approach and well short of the runway on it's nose) and even the rare Curtis Commando.

No wonder I grew up fascinated by aeroplanes!

I probably more aeroplanes in one day than the RAF have altogether now!

Now I stick tiny versions of them together with poly cement and dream dreams of being young again.

See what your model did for me?  Amazing.

• Like 2