Tornado F.3 "Charity" 1435 flight Falklands 1998 Revell/ Eduard 1/48

Tornado F.3 "Charity" 1435 flight  Mt. Pleasant  -Falklands ~ 1998 

a Falklands defender of 1435 flight using  uprise-decal Falklands markings for "Charity" of 1435 flight  Mt. Pleasant

I used the Eduard special edition "Good by Tornado  F.3 ADV"  meaning Eduard PE for Cockpit and details + Eduard Brassin seats and wheels + stencils

ingredientes:

• 1/48
  • Eduard Special kit/ Revell plastic
  • uprise-decal decals
  • Master pitot
  • Quickboost gun nozzle
  • Edit: Eduard Brassin Aim-9 Sidewinders
  • lots of BM input!

WIP in the great and productive Tornado Warning Group Build

hope you like it!

3ZAUh5Q.jpg

yXnv3uL.jpg

HlwMqJe.jpg

vc5sIfp.jpg

SEPgDV5.jpg

95C3MbD.jpg

AqR4WNX.jpg

HdWoRS2.jpg

heavy loaded for bear, no! for what exactly down there? guess some Mirage derivative was still a possibility back then! nowadays even those have gone!

E130fig.jpg

eolNM6S.jpg

MB4OJBj.jpg

ZiSg2B7.jpg

it was a joy, and Britmodeller group builds really an inspiration and encouragement! :)

wD9Ywgv.jpg

together with its contemporanean German colleague :pilot:

thanks for comments!

Werner

• Like 34

Please get something nicer than that ratty old bit of cardboard to photograph your models on!😆😆. You’ve put a lot of work into a kit that’s renowned for being a pain to build so show it off properly.  The German jet looks pretty good too, so twice the reason for a decent display base.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

You did not list the AIM-9L's as aftermarket. Do they come with the Eduard kit? Way better than the terrible AIM-9G's from Revell in the original kit.

Thanks Rob, absolutely correct, those are Eduard Brassin Aim-9 L/M Sidewinders from a Tomcat weapons set. :)

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

Please get something nicer than that ratty old bit of cardboard to photograph your models on!😆😆. You’ve put a lot of work into a kit that’s renowned for being a pain to build so show it off properly.  The German jet looks pretty good too, so twice the reason for a decent display base.

You are right here....  ;) I need to upgrade this aspect :D

6 hours ago, celt said:

A great model from a pain of a kit[mine ended up thrown against the wall].well tidy mun.

Thanks Celt!

Quite many Revell Tornados were actually completed during this Group build, and yes, it is a really unneccessarily difficult kit to assemble. I nearly struggled late with the rear.... :wall:

what seems to be crucial to get a decent fit though is NOT to follow the instructions!!

The front fuselage builds up seperately and cand be slid onto the rest. 

At best check the many slightly different approaches here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/703-tornado-warning-stgb/

thanks everybody!

i really need a better photbase :)

what about costal kits? any experience with it? are tehy worth the rather steep price?

something like this?

http://www.coastalkits.co.uk/newstore/1-48-scale-airfield-display-base-15.html

thanks!

in good company with the other contenders out there (I never had or attempted the HobbyBoss one though)

4ZyA5oG.jpg

Revell - Airfix - Italeri

WVfEZIH.jpg

5FOrzjj.jpg

and one last against the sun :)

OcTJiEC.jpg

cheers, 

Werner

• Like 7

- I don't know Coastal kit but I use Noy's Miniature equivalent. I find them useful in model show, they give a good background to the model exhibited and their size are  not a problem to carry with. But I find them too small for wide angle photos mostly if you take them outdoor with natural light as I use to do

• Thanks 1

Superb Tornados! They look amazing together there, which kit do you think is best/most accurate? 

I built an Airfix one and it was a bit ‘clunky’ in my opinion, and with a poor fuselage fit. I have an Italeri one in the stash but not sure how that will compare? 

Looking at yours it’s hard to tell as they all look brilliant.

• Thanks 1

Looks very good indeed.  I wouldn’t have been able to resist building Desperation rather than Charity!  That Luftwaffe variant looks good too. 
I built my HAS to display my kits - yours would look good in any setting I think

On 1/9/2021 at 9:21 AM, Lord Riot said:

Superb Tornados! They look amazing together there, which kit do you think is best/most accurate? 

The Revell kit without a doubt the best and most detailed one. Easy to build? Non of them :D

I upgraded the Italeru and the Airfix one with parts actually designed for the HobbyBoss kit. So not all you see comes from the respective kits :)

18 hours ago, bar side said:

Looks very good indeed.  I wouldn’t have been able to resist building Desperation rather than Charity!  

Thanks, may I ask you why?

Wasn't D the reserve one?

Thanks everyone for your comments and interest!!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Thanks, may I ask you why?

Wasn't D the reserve one?

Just an under dog thing I guess.  Most people have heard of Faith, Hope and Charity.  Desperation is more of an in joke!  And yes, i assume she was a hangar queen.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:03 PM, bar side said:

Just an under dog thing I guess.  Most people have heard of Faith, Hope and Charity.  Desperation is more of an in joke!  And yes, i assume she was a hangar queen.

Ok :D

maybe the next one will be Desperation then !

I still have the alternative and more common/ recent emblem markings ...

any specific reasons for D being the Hangar Queen though?

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Ok :D

maybe the next one will be Desperation then !

I still have the alternative and more common/ recent emblem markings ...

any specific reasons for D being the Hangar Queen though?

She was the reserve so I would assume she may have parts removed to keep the others flying and probably rarely left the hangar.  I am sure there are some guys about who served down there & would know.

A base doesn’t have to be pricey.  These are my two Jags on a piece of thin sheet MDF that used to be the back of a flat pack wardrobe.  The surface is just white emulsion with some black poster paint mixed in.  Don’t mix it fully though, it needs to be streaky.  Then when dry the concrete panel lines are just pencil, and a little rattle can mist of white / grey / black whatever over the top

0IjdaYi.jpg

I need a new houchin really.  That one is scratch built from a wood off cut & some balsa wood bits

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Wow, a lovely model , I have heard they can be a tricky one to build.  You have done a superb there and ended up with a beauty.  They all look great together too.

Chris

Thanks,

Yeah, they are! Especially if you follow the instructions on the Revell one :wall:

The Italeri one is not complicated but quite poor oob, the Airfix one equally  poor AND a pain to build :D

thanks for your base suggestion! :) @bar side

• Like 2