RAF Turbine Islander

I always wanted some more modern RAF prop types along with my Cold War jets.  The Herc was first & I would like a Jetstream, but that’s not very likely.  So when Valom said they were making an Islander it caught my attention.  I really fancied the Red Devil’s jump plane that would do the round of 80s airshows.  Then I saw the ex AAC now RAF grey Islander box and thought that would do.

Now Valom kits are known for their challenges and ‘I need to make this Valom kit more challenging’ said no one ever.  So I thought I would power the props and add lighting. Plain daft idea I know.

The kit has very nice detail in some places, next to none in others.  Poor fit as to be expected, but lots of etch - sparse interior but etch foot pedals where you need a shed load of nose weight anyone?  So lots of false starts, several moments of WHY! And I think she is about done.  Lots I don’t like & am not happy about but had to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway thanks for looking & encouragement along the way.

CgMSr5M.jpg

XrnQzec.jpg

phZjRzf.jpg

vkYa8r9.jpg

lTMDKTX.jpg

l2FyZS6.jpg

ebliHtG.jpg

• Like 39

11 hours ago, celt said:

Didnt Airfix kit one of these back in the day?Well tidy mun.

Regards

celt

Cheers.  Yes I think they did a 1/72 kit years ago.  Think this is the first 1/48 though.

I like that a lot too,...... excellent job, it really looks the business.

I have one myself and I hope it turns out as nice as yours mate,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

I like that a lot too,...... excellent job, it really looks the business.

I have one myself and I hope it turns out as nice as yours mate,

Cheers

Tony 

I can give you some tips.  My main screen is not great & the fill around it is rough.  Watch the main undercarriage.  I made my own steel rod frame as the kit bits looked about as useful as a chocolate tea pot

• Like 1

Just now, bar side said:

I can give you some tips.  My main screen is not great & the fill around it is rough.  Watch the main undercarriage.  I made my own steel rod frame as the kit bits looked about as useful as a chocolate tea pot

Nice to know,.... thanks mate. 

Just now, Vulcanicity said:

Flipping heck how did you fit motors and lighting in something the size of an Islander? Impressive - the rest of it is great too :)

Cheers. Well it is a 1/48 one & there is quite a bit of space inside that wing.