Missing parts - what to do?

tomkil

I am missing pieces for a couple of Tamiya kits, a tank and a racing car, not missing from the box I hasten to add, just gone missing!  On the tank, it's one side of the commander's hatch and on the racing car it's one of the mirrors - very small pieces.  

Tamiya UK tell me they would supply spares but on a whole sprue basis which combined with the cost of p&p would mean it would be cheaper to buy whole new kits for each. 

What would you do?  Looking for any advice.  

Alternatively accept the challenge and make them yourself! Very satisfying.

I'd make two of the mirrors and use both, less likely to be noticed than one being injection moulded and the other scratch-built. 

I accept lost/broken/self-ruined parts as an inevitable part of modelling and I have decided to enjoy the work needed to rectify it. That said I've never yet had to bin a very expensive or time invested kit which would feel quite different I imagine.

Thanks gents. 

Yes, I've tried posting in Wanted but no joy as yet.  Your idea makes sense Pigpen, though the mirrors are very conspicuous - I'm not sure whatever I could do would ever look quite right.

Do you have a spares box of leftover parts from other builds? My first port of call is there, to see if I can fabricate what I need. You would be amazed what a little 'Frankengineering' will produce to save a kit.

• Like 1