Hello from [was Northamptonshire, now Norwich]!

AstroCanary

Hi all.  I've been lurking on here for a while but thought I would properly introduce myself and actually start interacting!

I'm Rob, I'm 47, and I'm currently living in Northamptonshire, though that will probably change at some point this year.  Like many of you, I'm sure, scale modelling was a big part of my childhood and then about 5 years ago I took it up again for about a year before putting it on hold; this year I intend to get properly back into it again and, indeed, I've already purchased a few models in the last couple of weeks to create a nascent stash!

I'm interested in modelling military aircraft of all eras and nations but will primarily focus on British with a particular fondness for stuff from the Cold War era.  I'm still to decide upon a scale to focus on; it will certainly include 1:72 as there are too many aircraft important to me only available at that scale, but I am yet to decide whether to stick to that scale exclusively or also model in 1:48 for the WWI, interwar and WWII stuff.  Will see.  Also have an interest in 1:350 scale warships but I am trying to refrain from them at the moment as I've already got plenty of aircraft earmarked for my stash as it is!

Anyway I will leave it there and look forward to being a little more active on this forum in the near future.

All the best.

Edited by AstroCanary
  • Like 1

Welcome! A fellow Northamptonshire resident here 😎.  I've recently got in to doing aircraft, I've always leant towards movie related kits so aircraft is relatively new to me.

Enjoy!

🏼

• Like 1

The one where he says "I am Rob".........  "No, I am Rob etc..  etc.   "OK Rob, we're going string you up".    Ah!  he's Rob"  "No, I'm Pete; he's Rob!".

Welcome to the forum, sorry, what was your name again?

Mike  :giggle:

• Haha 1

Welcome Rob! Why not go exclusively 1/72, like intetwar US Navy? 1/72 aircraft, 1/72 USS Langley...ohhh that might be a bit big.🤣🤣.

No matter what you model you'll find someone here who can help!

DennisTheBear

• Haha 1

Hello Rob... :post1: from across the pond in Chicago. We share similar interests in aviation and scales, though even if you go to 1/32 for WW1 & interwar types they for the most part would be similarly sized to 1/48 WW2 and later single engine types.  

Dennis

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Rob... :post1: from across the pond in Chicago. We share similar interests in aviation and scales, though even if you go to 1/32 for WW1 & interwar types they for the most part would be similarly sized to 1/48 WW2 and later single engine types.  

Dennis

In the mid-90s I did work programme thing in Gurnee, Illinois.  I was actually living in Kenosha, Wisconsin, but travelled down to Chicago quite a few times and loved it there!

I did consider 1/32 for WWI.  If Wingnut Wings start up again then I might go with that as their models are clearly something else, but in their absence I will probably stick to 1/48 or 1/72.  It's a difficult one because WWII fighters are obviously fairly small in 1:72 scale, but the thought of having everything in the same scale is also hugely appealing to me!  I am more tending towards the latter at the moment.

Thanks all for the welcome messages - much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi Rob. welcome to the group.  I am Mike S in Northamptonshire too and make 1/76 aircraft and 1/76 military vehicles.  Mostly British because of their varied camouflage schemes.  I pop up infrequently on Britmodeller, usually on the military forum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ijs302 said:

Hi Rob from another Northamptonian I can also recommend the model shop in Northampton, showing my age but I can remember when we had three.                                  Ian

In my day it was TMS and Taylor McKenna in the Grosvenor. Which am I missing?

Northamptonshire was Ernest Berwicks in Kettering.

Anyway, welcome from the current Covid capital in the county; just found out some logistics firms are bussing workers in from London and they're are using a large local hotel on the outskirts. No wonder Corby has gone from 90 per 100,000 to 900 in 100,000 in a month.

Phantoms and other Cold War jets for me.

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

Northamptonshire was Ernest Berwicks in Kettering.

Anyway, welcome from the current Covid capital in the county; just found out some logistics firms are bussing workers in from London and they're are using a large local hotel on the outskirts. No wonder Corby has gone from 90 per 100,000 to 900 in 100,000 in a month.

Phantoms and other Cold War jets for me.

Phantoms are good!  V-bombers, Lightnings, Harriers and Tornados are better!  Actually the more I think about it the more I could add to that list - I love all the Cold War British stuff.  If pushed, though, I'd have to go for the Victor as  No.1.

• Like 1

Wow 30 years ago is smack bang in my model shopping era and I had no idea it was there. Though it’s not a street I’d have had reason to ever go down. My dad grew up a few hundred yards from TMS so that was Mecca. Still there I believe but I know the owner’s been on the verge of retirement for a few years as my mum is friends with his wife. 

• 2 years later...

Hello from Norwich!

This thread from 2 years ago turned out to be a bit of a false start and, for a number of reasons, I didn't really get back started on this hobby; but now I am keen to really make that start and have accumulated a stash of about 40 in the last month.  OK, so probably small fry compared to many of you, but it shows willing!  I thought I would reply here rather than start a new thread, though the title is no longer factually correct as I moved to Norwich about 15 months ago.

I ended up deciding on 1:48 scale aircraft and will pretty much stick exclusively to that, I think, though I will no doubt end up adding a few 1:72 (V bombers come to mind) where there are no decent options at my scale of choice.  I'm primarily interested in WWII and Cold War, and I am almost exclusively interested in RAF and RN, though I might also be tempted by some Commonwealth and US when it comes to WWII.

Hoping to be a little more active on here in the coming months so look forward to some interesting exchanges with some of you in the near future.

All the best.

Rob.

• AstroCanary changed the title to Hello from [was Northamptonshire, now Norwich]!
12 hours ago, AstroCanary said:

have accumulated a stash of about 40 in the last month

Hello and welcome back! 

At 40, your stash is much, much larger than mine .... all 6 of them!  

Keith 😁 

• Like 1