IOM 1/72 Polikarpov Po-2 x2 - finished

• AdrianMF changed the title to IOM 1/72 Polikarpov Po-2 x2 - a second one on skis

I liked building this so much that I couldn’t resist starting my other one!  This time it will be white and it will be on skis. Retreading much the same ground:

235-BE7-BD-5101-4-EA0-B43-A-DFD6-A814857
This time I’m going to drop the elevators a bit. The plastic is quite brittle so I actually snapped them off! The red dots to remind me which way is up:

EF26-DD30-6-AEE-45-FA-BC38-E2-FDCFA0-E5-

I need to scribe the ailerons (forgot to do that earlier) and this time I’m going to thin down the control cable outlets above and below the wings.

• Like 8

Well the blue has worked really well. The first coat on raw plastic was fine where I had sanded, but needed a bit of brushing to stop beading on the raw plastic. Not surprising for an acrylic, and the plastic on this kit is pretty hard and shiny (I didn’t wash it either). I brushed a second coat an hour after the first. Didn’t dilute the paint at all. Coverage is great, I may do a third coat over a couple of areas where I can see a hint of plastic showing through.

Here’s how it compares to all my other attempts at AMT-7:

091-F7-CEB-6163-4-DC6-AB63-3-EB736-E7-CB

Ironically, the closest match is to the Humbrol 65 and 47 on my previous Po-2. It also didn’t fill the underwing holes for the optional floats that I forgot about, but I can’t blame the paint for that one :)

It took six drops of paint per coat. Assuming a 4mm drop diameter, that’s over 30 aeroplanes from a 17ml bottle, assuming I don’t start building Pe-8s.

• Like 9

That looks well but hmm RLM 65. Reminds me of our first house, we went to huge pains to pick out a range of subtle pastels with a different shade in each room, peach blush, artic white, etc etc. On my father in laws first visit he turns around and says ‘that’s a lovely coat of magnolia you’ve given everything’ …… Sort of opposite of your collection :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

the seats looks superb

Thanks Nikolay. A severe case of deja vu compared to the first one! I’m looking forward to the multi-part seats in the ICM model with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation!

I’ve skipped over most of the building stages here because it’s exactly the same as the first time around.

I’m about to get some green and black on (just humbrol 102 and 33) and gloss it up ready for some some worn whitewash effects. I’m not using the new paints for the topsides because they will get hidden by the whitewash and I know Humbrols are durable - there will be lots of scrubbing and other ill-treatment.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Marklo said:

That looks well but hmm RLM 65

Hmm er no. I’m not Nick Millman or Jamie at Colourcoats but RLM 65 (as in Hu65, at least) to me is not a strong enough blue, and drifts towards Sky:

ECD03-FC4-4730-456-E-9-CAC-9-DA295-FE96-

I use Humbrol and Revell because they are available in my local(ish) stores and I’ve only recently started to branch out.

The two Mig-3s in the picture (bottom left) were painted in Humbrol RLM 76  and 78, so they don’t really work either.

All the others are mixes of various Humbrol blues, greys and white. The trouble with the Humbrol acrylic range is that it doesn’t have a strong, pure matt blue to mix in - Humbrol 25 has a purple shade to it and can get you to Azure Blue, but not to AMT-7. 

So in the end I bit the bullet and went gloss, mixing Humbrol 47 and 65 on the Po-2 with stars in the picture above. That was the first time I’d got blue enough for my taste, and the Mig Ammo lets me get there with no mixing!

TL;DR Luftwaffe blues didn’t work for me as AMT-7

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

A severe case of deja vu compared to the first one! I’m looking forward to the multi-part seats in the ICM model with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation!

The ICM kits is very attractive, both for the prices and quality.

• Like 1

I did start back with Humbrol, but nowadays I’m mostly Tamiya for RLM 65 I’m using a gunze colour. That said I’ve been rediscovering humbrol lately and I really like Humbrol 130 as a general white and the humbrol 240 I’m now using for the PB31 is very good.

But I’ll say this I’m a firm believer that there’s no such thing as accurate colour, so as a modeller go for plausible colour.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

must be a nice kit

We-e-e-e-ll... Is it Tamigawademy nice? Or perhaps even ICMezda nice??

(Hell) no.

BUT. Fuselage and wings fit well, it has an interior, struts and undercarriage fit like a dream. You have to sand down the blobby tail bits and carve each small part out of the bit of plastic that looks most like it. But I’m having fun with it. It’s undemanding cheap fun, it has ambulance pod and ski versions, and a pug-like charm when it’s on the shelf!

I’ve also got an ICM one to do “properly” as a Night Witches version and a KP original (two quid) as my starting entry in the Under A Tenner GB.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Marklo said:

But I’ll say this I’m a firm believer that there’s no such thing as accurate colour, so as a modeller go for plausible colour.

As you can tell from my undersides, I can cope with “close enough” but my blues not being blue enough was giving me the blues!

Now I have both a specific colour and a mix recipe that works I’m a sight happier.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Now I have both a specific colour and a mix recipe that works I’m a sight happier.

I would vary the shade a bit from build to build though, add in a bit of white or gray, do an extra coat etc, as particularly in that era paint colour  would have varied from batch to batch, factory to factory and even with weather and drying time.

I spent a reasonable amount of time in my career trying to keep manufactured colours the same and on the basis of the amount of science and technology needed to do that I’d allow for considerable variation :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Great job on these U-2/Po-2s*, Adrian! For what it's worth, I like the AMT-7 colour you've come up with for your Po-2s. It looks about right to me.

Regards,

Jason

*The official designation was 'U-2' until Polikarpov's death in 1944, after which it was redesignated 'Po-2' in his honour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are heroic with this second build!  However, when there was no ICM kit on market this kits was I would say not that bad... Some schemes on skis for consideration

Strange-snow-960_640.jpg

00ed419757d5bb5e608d646c15c90ce9.jpg

U2_1.jpg.73e46a53e12b1f36a01c1d0e9d0544d

Unfortunatelly, the above one is a rare variant ith three seats cockpit one, with increased tank above pilot.

HMD-72026_L.JPG

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

P.S.

Here (No 14) is ambulance machine with those cobines on wings - also on skies and white!

PB220042.jpg

It is from this incredible set of decals by Begemot, unfortunatelly in 1/72 (edit: should be added "NOT", the set is in 1/48) 

https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/1-48-polikarpov-u2-po-2-family-begemot/

J-W

Edited by JWM

I’m going for this one.

There are actually two aeroplanes in the film, one with a star on the fuselage, one without. I just want an anonymous airframe so I can mess with weathered whitewash weathering. Interestingly, the YouTube video for the Polikarpov R-5* also has the same soundtrack.

16 minutes ago, JWM said:

unfortunately in 1/72

there is no such phrase in the English Language!

Did you mean “not”, in which case we are right behind you :)

Regards,

Adrian

* another “Less than a tenner” GB candidate from Pioneer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1