IOM 1/72 Polikarpov Po-2 x2 - finished

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The first coat on raw plastic was fine where I had sanded, but needed a bit of brushing to stop beading on the raw plastic. Not surprising for an acrylic, and the plastic on this kit is pretty hard and shiny (I didn’t wash it either).

My goodness, the bravery of the man!

Prepare for some tutting - I get comments if I don't gloss before transfers but you're making me look timid…

Onward, mon brave! :D 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

Onward, mon brave!

Well, if you don’t ask, you don’t get...

I'm just looking forward to seeing how the paints go over my new Academy IL-2M ( after the shelf of shame Baltimore, the ANZAC Tiger Moth, the Less than a Tenner builds....)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I got the black bands on:

8-E4-BF895-0-C47-40-A3-9021-B9-E0-F7-F4-

Glossed it up:

76333-C9-A-E0-D8-4-EBB-AD32-0-AF76-B3-C8

Scrubbed away with Citadel Ceramite white:

C46-DDD07-A615-4-AC9-89-D5-2-EEDDF95934-

You can’t really tell the black bands were ever there!

Wondering about the bombs, now that I’ve carved them out of the plastic. Not sure how representative they are, and the fins are pretty chunky! I will paint them and see what they look like.

• Like 5

Andrian, those bombs are (AFAIK) of completely not correct shape, There are proper shapes:

https://trmreviewconnect.wordpress.com/2016/10/30/panzerwrecks-20-ostfront-3/

Fvnhs2gpoWQ1-Cx8kf7KRvubLzs08wUMoOqHM9UJ

fab-gpw-image1.jpg

Po 2 could carry the FAB 50 (ie 50 kg) I think up to six of them

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/media/polikarpov-po-2vs-u-2vs-a-light-bomber-1944-2.27777/

So maybe better skip it...

J-W

1 hour ago, JWM said:

completely not correct shape

Thanks J-W! I was slowly coming to the same conclusion after looking around on the web. the IOM ones look like the ones in the KP kit, but there the trail goes cold.

There are some good ones in the ICM kit, but it would be a bit daft to model it as a Night Witches example and not have any bombs to put on it! I might just add bomb racks to this one for a bit of interest. Or not :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to IOM 1/72 Polikarpov Po-2 x2 - finished
2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow this looks stunning Adrian,  what a cracking model.  These look great in either the green and black or the winter scheme  very impressive. 

Great job.

Chris

Seconded

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:04 PM, JWM said:

P.S.

Here (No 14) is ambulance machine with those cobines on wings - also on skies and white!

PB220042.jpg

It is from this incredible set of decals by Begemot, unfortunatelly in 1/72 (edit: should be added "NOT", the set is in 1/48) 

https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/1-48-polikarpov-u2-po-2-family-begemot/

J-W

If you hunt around you'll find there is a 1/72 set of these wonderful decals - I left one on the shelf at Hanants! 😁 Enjoying these builds even though I found them late on and hope to dig mine out of the stash.   Andy

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is quite lovely Adrian.

Thanks Steve! I learned a lot about worn winter camouflage doing this one, and it was fun to do some more extreme weathering than I would otherwise consider.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1