IOM 1/72 Polikarpov Po-2 x2 - finished

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

well worth your time and trouble!

Well, I haven't spent very long or had much trouble so I've definitely got what I paid for! ;)

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Crikey, that IS fast

It's a simple kit that goes together nicely after the parts have been cleaned up (or replaced). No separate rocket fins on this one!

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

great colour scheme

I think I've got the green right finally on this one with 1x Citadel Loren Forest + 2x Hu 102. I used Hu 150 enamel but it's not available in acrylic. I do want to do a worn whitewashed one on skis at some point though, but my soft black/green edges came out too nice to overpaint.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've long agonised over cheap IOM or dearer ICM

I don't think you will regret it for a moment. In the UK on ebay I can get IOM for £8-odd and ICM for £11-odd all in so there isn't much in it at all on price.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, matford said:

Thought you might like to know that the Iom-Kit has its origins in a FROG project that was finished in the USSR

I saw on scalemates that there was a cancelled FROG project for the Po-2 but I didn’t know the story. Now I’m not sure what the relationship is with the KP kit, because the parts look the same but the sprues and moulding don’t. The FROG design team did do a lot of USSR subjects at the end - the Red Star quartet and then (I am told) the R-5 that is currently sold as a Pioneer kit. Thanks for the info. There is a complicated story still to be told about the end of FROG and the rise of the spawn!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

The cockpits have leather padding around the edges. I wanted to give them some bulk so I went around the edges with some thick PVA-like glue. I built it up round the edges with a cocktail stick, giving a slightly irregular effect:

50-E8-B40-F-0002-4-CD3-9773-9-A76-AFC58-

This is the stuff I used. It’s designed to make clear glass-like beads, and so it doesn’t shrink as it dries, because nobody wants wrinkly balls...

7-F70-B230-E35-D-4306-B9-DB-BFA4514-B34-

The windscreens (foreground) were clear but very thick and bevelled, and so I replaced them with thin packaging material:

90-F9-A63-E-9-DF0-4-B38-9255-088-C5-E969

I got some “Pocket Coffees” for Christmas and the chocs are held in place by this conveniently-shaped clear plastic divider:

980499-C3-61-F9-4-BC9-B5-C1-1-DBABA1-A74

I’ve plumped for wheels on this one, because it’s so much fun I want to do another as a white one on skis !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Definitely one to consider for the collection

Nice boxy fuselage, good scratch candidate! Although there is a very nice ICM kit in 1/48...

I would have finished tonight but I got cement in the back of the engine when I was detailing it. I like my propellers to go round so I have to leave it to dry before assembly. Anyhow, here are said engine and prop, waiting to be united with the airframe:

64-D18844-1568-4-CCD-BC95-FC5-F4-A91-ADB

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice boxy fuselage, good scratch candidate! Although there is a very nice ICM kit in 1/48...

I would have finished tonight but I got cement in the back of the engine when I was detailing it. I like my propellers to go round so I have to leave it to dry before assembly. Anyhow, here are said engine and prop, waiting to be united with the airframe:

64-D18844-1568-4-CCD-BC95-FC5-F4-A91-ADB

Coming along nicely Adrian - must get some accelerator!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking very good Adrian :)

I must remember the 'rig the struts' method for when I eventually get around to the WnW Camel - great tip.

Score 1 for the Glass Bead stuff - fnaar!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does the propeller spin now?

90-D48-C6-B-412-F-4089-AFAA-98-A489-CBC1

Yep.

And done:

8-B7-C171-D-556-C-4393-A365-91-D49-DF378

913-BC50-D-4-E1-E-4-B9-D-9-A48-FFC5-B28-

B888-D73-D-09-E8-4707-B67-F-D786877201-B

61-EF29-D1-BD94-44-C7-B36-D-1227-A754-C4

It’s a simple, honest kit, needs a bit of work but basically very sound. I’m sure the ICM one will be much better, but I enjoyed building this. 

Might get round to an RFI if my figures on order turn up.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s a simple, honest kit, needs a bit of work but basically very sound. I’m sure the ICM one will be much better, but I enjoyed building this.

Looks superb, Adrian! 👍 Now I want to build one from ICM... But I need to finish some kits that I started before. 😬

25 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Might get round to an RFI if my figures on order turn up.

We’ll take a look!

• Thanks 1

Andrian, you did a great job here!  

It think this is an original  Russian kit not related to KP kit from 1975, although Scalemetes says differenly. They are wrong. I have two of them in stash (I was comparing it once with KP, and KP was more fine in details of surface) - currently I decided to use them only as donnors of parts fro scratching in light of ne ICM kit... So your build is a bit heroic for me, chpeau bas! :)

The KP moulds of main parts (fuselage, wings) looks that way (from net): 

278a1da94f568a5b9dcf3946efc5

So you can easily see difference (ribs, rivets on front of  fuselage...)

ff43c6e34f5591041058a2489467

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 3

Thank you all!

22 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Now I want to build one from ICM

So do I Nikolay, but the delicate and numerous parts look quite daunting after this one...

22 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent modelling Adrian

Thanks Greg, I really enjoyed it, All the important things worked, like the struts, and it was fun replacing all the shapeless little blobs.

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice

If you want a little something out of the ordinary, I can heartily recommend the Po-2. Lots of build options and schemes too. 30,000+ built, which makes it the most built plane ever apart from (I read somewhere?) one of the Cessna series? [edit] It is the most built biplane ever, and slots in somewhere in the top 10 all-time, depending on what production figures are used...

19 hours ago, JWM said:

It think this is an original  Russian kit not related to KP kit from 1975

Thanks Jerzey. I agree, it's not the KP kit because the sprues layout is completely different, but it's a very close copy of at least the major parts of it. Where it isn't a copy, it isn't as good!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Just now, spaddad said:

OK who are you and what have you done with the real AdrianMF?

I'm saving the mojo for my FROG Baltimore build, currently homeless, hovering between MTO, KUTA and regular WIP. This was a damn' fine kit, in my defence. It won't happen again, I promise...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2