Superdetailed Monogram 1/8 Corvette

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but thought of showing off my latest model. It is the first in over 40 years. I got a kit as a Christmas present in 1977. A -65 Corvette Sting Ray in 1/8 scale, by Monogram. However, I thought it was so bad in the detail that it was never built.
But 2019 I got to myself that maybe anyway. So I googled and found on this forum a post from 2014 by "roymattblack" that got me inspired. There was also a member on International Scale Modeller who had built one. So about 1500 working hours later it was finished. Those who built the kit can see that a lot of additions and modifications have been made; the entire chassis, openable doors and detailed interior, etc.
I have made a complete documentation of the project. 65 pages of text and image that can be obtained for free as a pdf file from me upon request by email to: [email protected]

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Hello Lars,

Welcome to the forum, what an entrance! That is a thing of absolute beauty! It looks like a real car, breathtaking attention to detail, especially the 1/8 kit box on the back seat, would that be 1/64 scale? 🤔

I look forward to seeing more builds from you.

Andy

If you're going to introduce yourself to a forum, that's the way to do it!

Fabulous build and attention to detail, I bet they didn't look that good straight off the production line. 

Seeing your Corvette has made my day. A beautiful model. The photo's are pretty good as well.

I have two of these, in bits. Both original blue ones.

One I've started to remove the roof to make a roadster version. Every now and then, I'll dig out the parts, take a look at the amount of work involved in making anything half way presentable out of them, and then put everything back in the box. There is a ton of work needed!

I can fully appreciate the amount of effort you have put into your stunning build.

Tony.

• Like 1

Wow Lars, welcome to the forums and that is one heck of a build. You've laid a nice layer of paint on it as well, it looks incredible. For a first model, that is not bad at all 😉 

The only thing that can be said about it is the tyres which seem not up to par with the rest of the build. Are they the kit tyres? I bet you could improve on those with 3d printed ones (for example). 

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm overwhelmed!

Someone said something about the tires. I agree. There are different tires depending on the kit version. I thought the ones in my kit were OK, with some cutting on the mold lines . They are reasonably similar to the Firestone Blackwall that existed as standard up to the -64-year model. However, not 1965. Then the design of the tire tread and side was changed. The kit's tires are marked 600/15. It should be 670/15. I decided to use the tires anyway. However, I wanted a white wall. It was fixed with a white marker, but should on Firestone Whitewall actually be thicker and closer to the rim (see photo). I did not come up with a good way to do this nicely, so I made it easy for myself and painted on the raised part of the tire side. I should have spent more time on this and maybe I do that someday...

Perhaps someone has an idea how to do the white wall. White decals? Adhesive plastic foil?

Or make 3D-printed originals and cast my own of silicone rubber. I have an article about that.

spacer.png

• Like 2

A masterful job, truly:worthy:

My favorite shot is the underside. Textures, details, it does indeed look to be a photo of the full scale vehicle.

And the whimsy of the kit box is a nice touch :thumbsup:

Fantastic work! You have really brought this rather basic kit to exceptional levels. Might even inspire me to have new look in my long stashed box... I hope I can see your work IRL on some show in the not too distant future, it would be nice to study it live.