The use of Klear . . .

Mancunian airman

Yes, usually insufficient strength.

I do use it (original Future in my case) for clear-to-clear un-structural components like the rear clamshell canopy on this Bf-110 tapping a little with a brush here:

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_109

And here and drawing it in with capillary action:

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_110

or this internal scratch-built armour glass and gunsight reflector for a F4U-1D. Nice clear finish. No gluing visible:

Corsair_Construction_103

For other clear joints I use Tamiya Extra Thin (polystyrene) or thin CA (vacuum formed canopies). I carefully wick in just what I need. Let capillary action come into play. I build in 1/48 so can ensure good air circulation. If concerned, I flash off that initial gas escape with a hair dryer circulating warm internal air. I do not pre-coat canopies e.g "Future", preferring to polish, and don't mess around with the other glues anymore. I have not had one fog. If it was a closed in 1/72 or 1/144 canopy I might re-think my strategy. The again, maybe not. 

Ray   

• Like 4

`Agree with what`s been said Ian , it`s just not strong enough . For the main canopy on mine  I used Plastic Weld , carefully run in on the join from a fine brush .

For all the other clear parts I used Micro Kristal Klear including the canopy side blisters on the second one , placed very carefully with them stuck on the end of a

blunted cocktail stick with liquid mask . And there`s no need pratt about trying to cut out the " glass " underneath them as you can`t see it on the finished job ,

just so long as the " glsss " is spotless , as I`m sure it would be . But if you do choose to fit them , you only get one go , or it`s " oh damn , look at this " . ( Polite version ) .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Not as effective as PVA

I always thought that PVA was the 'fail Safe' method but in the past I have occasionally applied to much and it leaves a 'stain' on the glazing.

thanks for your input, its appreciated 

Ian

I use puzzle glue as well

410BX08854L._AC_.jpg

Lots of different brands out there and probably PVA as well. Dries clear and I have picked up a 1:48 Spitfire by the canopy after the glue had set up.......gently

Edited by fubar57
  • Thanks 1

Go to Poundland and look for Dovecraft Ultimate Craft Glue. You will find it in the crafting supplies, not the DIY section. It is an acrylic resin, very gloopy, that dries crystal clear and hard but not as brittle as Superglue. Water soluble, so it can be applied with a brush and any surplus is easy to clean up. Does not stink or glue your fingers together. Also available from branches of Wilko, a penny cheaper.

Next time I am in Poundland or Wilko I will look out that product. Sounds like a good extra to add to my adhesives armoury.

Kleer or Future......Same stuff different name. I have some Kleer that I used to dip coat a clear resin canopy recently and it works brilliantly. Dipped the whole thing in and wicked off the excess by touching the edges onto kitchen roll tissue. Left for 24 hours to harden Crystal clear!

Edited by Noel Smith

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

Some very delicate looking brushes on display here, presumably not disposable! I would appreciate recommendations for cleaning liquid cement from your glue brush.

If you're referring to the brushes I was using with Future as shown in the following picture, then I just wash them in water before the Future sets. Following that, I will usually wash the brush in soapy water and rinse. If I inadvertently let the Future set on the brush, which I try not to, then I soak the brush in a cleaner that contains ammonia and rinse.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_109

I use the brush type cap that comes with the Tamiya Extra Thin and a thin piece of wire as an applicator for CA. No brush cleaning necessary.

If your question is a broader one regarding removal of liquid cement from brushes then it would be worthy of its own thread.

Ray

• Like 1