Better Tracks for Tamiya 1:35 M113A2?

plingboot

Hi, my first post on this forum…

I'm building a couple of 1:35 Tamiya M113's and wonder whether anyone can point me in the direction of some better quality (ie more realistic) tracks?

I'm not worries about them working, I just want something less toy like.

Thanks…

Master Club do some metal tracks as well with two sets with either clean or worn shoes #35113. AFV Club do a couple of sets with both individual links or the traditional rubber band replacement set.

The metal ones will cost you far more than the Tamiya kit did!  Expect to pay £25-35 a set. The AFV Club non-workable indy link ones are also stubbornly expensive - expect to pay about £15.  Don't get the Diehl/German/NATO version unless you're doing one of the European variants that used these.  However, sprue shots suggest that they suffer badly with sink marks on the outer faces.

Modelkasten do plastic non-workable 113 tracks, K-17, but these are also reputed to have sink marks on almost all the outer faces.  But they can be under £10, if you can find them.  MK also do metal ones, SK-36, again in the £25 range.

If you're not too far through and are doing fairly vanilla 113s, I might suggest getting hold of a pair of the Academy Vietnam 113s instead.  These come with both vinyl and indy link tracks plus several weapon options and a few extras.  You can find them for £20-25, so less than the price of a pack of metal tracks for your Tamiyas.  Detail-wise they're about the same.  Both are pretty old now.  The Academy 113A2 only has the vinyl tracks and the 113A3 has both.

Italeri's 113 is pretty poor and the recent Dragon ones are disappointing.  These all have vinyl tracks.  The new AFV Club 113s are supposed to be the best yet, but still only come with vinyl tracks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 2:38 PM, Mick4350 said:

Master Club do some metal tracks as well with two sets with either clean or worn shoes #35113. AFV Club do a couple of sets with both individual links or the traditional rubber band replacement set.

Beware the Master club tracks are designed for the AFV club kit, You will have to do surgery on the drive sprockets to have any chance of them fitting!

Ivan

• 4 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 2:35 AM, ivan-o said:

Beware the Master club tracks are designed for the AFV club kit, You will have to do surgery on the drive sprockets to have any chance of them fitting!

Ivan

The master club set that I have come with replacement white metal drive sprockets.

Edited by bluebell69
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The AFV Club plastic ones come with sprockets which you can fit to the Tamiya kits and look pretty good. The only point to watch is there is only enough to do both sides with no spares. See the attached pic of Tamiya FSV with the AFV Club tracks. Cheers Neil

Australian Fire Support Vehicle