1/72nd Arma Hurricane Mk.IIb, 605 (County of Warwick) Hal Far, Malta 1941/42

On 1/25/2021 at 9:36 PM, Sky Keg said:

You know Tony that I am starting to “hate” you 😬.  Every time I get settled in on which kit to build next, you go and unveil something better.  I like your latest here, the Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.II.  Superb work as usual!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Ooops,... Sorry Mike! Thanks for your kind words mate! 

On 1/25/2021 at 9:23 PM, corsaircorp said:

Definitely !!

At least, in IPMS UK nobody whine about my passion for british style aircrafts :rofl2:

CC

That is very true my friend!

On 1/26/2021 at 12:32 AM, GrzeM said:

Very good job! Congratulations!

Thanks mate.

17 hours ago, johnd said:

Excellent!

May I ask which paint you used for the undersides?

John.

Thanks John,.... I used Aeromaster Finland Light Blue mate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...

Great work Tony,

I'm curious as to why you chose this Sqn and this particular Hurricane UP-V.  It isn't really associated with any one pilot.  During those dark days of early 1942, few aircraft were serviceable and pilots from a variety of squadrons took turns on whichever fighter was available.  My father flew BG753 in Feb '42.  

Best Regards

Tumblin'

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tumblingmirth said:

Great work Tony,

I'm curious as to why you chose this Sqn and this particular Hurricane UP-V.  It isn't really associated with any one pilot.  During those dark days of early 1942, few aircraft were serviceable and pilots from a variety of squadrons took turns on whichever fighter was available.  My father flew BG753 in Feb '42.  

Best Regards

Tumblin'

Hello, thanks mate and respect to your father. I chose this aircraft because a photo exists of it,...... plus I don`t really go in for aces aircraft,...... and I`m well aware that the aircraft were shard by may pilots and by different units too,... I wrote a book about the subject called `No Place For Beginners'. This one flew off Argus for Malta Nov 41; 

203a-UP-V-flew-off-Argus-for-Malta-Nov-4

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2021 at 13:36, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

Another Arma Models Hurricane,..... the Mk.IIb saw more widespread service than any other variant and in 1941-42 they held the fort over Malta along with Mk.IIa`s and the surviving Mk.I`s,...... this model represents BG753, UP-V of 605 (County of Warwick) Sqn  based at Hal Far, Malta having flown to Malta from HMS Argus on the12th November 1941. 

The model was brush painted using Humbrol enamels for the upper surfaces and Polly Scale Finnish Light Blue to represent weathered RAF Sky Blue and the codes and serial came from generic sets,... the codes from Xtradecals very useful White RAF WW2 Codes and the serial from Ventura`s fabulous RAF serials set which contains so many of the styles of letters and numbers used during WW2. As it has the early style of exhausts I also chose to use the early Mk.I style tail wheel too,.... as seen on many Malta Hurri`s. When matching up the camouflage demarcation lines it became apparent that this aircraft has the tail and ruder from another aircraft wearing the mirror camouflage scheme,..... maybe this was done while re erecting the aircraft aboard HMS Argus or to replace battle damage in Malta?

Here i the model;   .

DSCF9519-NEW.jpg

DSCF9490-NEW.jpg

DSCF9491-NEW.jpg

DSCF9492-NEW.jpg

DSCF9493-NEW.jpg

DSCF9494-NEW.jpg

DSCF9498-NEW.jpg

DSCF9499-NEW.jpg

DSCF9501-NEW.jpg

DSCF9502-NEW.jpg

DSCF9503-NEW.jpg

DSCF9496-NEW.jpg

DSCF9497-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Fantastic model.

Alain

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hello, thanks mate and respect to your father. I chose this aircraft because a photo exists of it,...... plus I don`t really go in for aces aircraft,...... and I`m well aware that the aircraft were shard by may pilots and by different units too,... I wrote a book about the subject called `No Place For Beginners'. This one flew off Argus for Malta Nov 41; 

I like your perspective (ref aces).  I'll have to research your book as I've not read that one.  Sadly, Malta was full of neophyte pilots, especially 605 Sqn.  Skill decay added to their misfortune by not being allowed to fly until Jan '42, then not having enough aircraft to fly.  When they did get into the air, the Hurricanes were seriously outclassed, but you know all that already.   Yes, the old man flew off the Argus in Nov as well.   Thanks for your ongoing great efforts to keep their memories alive. 

21 hours ago, tumblingmirth said:

I like your perspective (ref aces).  I'll have to research your book as I've not read that one.  Sadly, Malta was full of neophyte pilots, especially 605 Sqn.  Skill decay added to their misfortune by not being allowed to fly until Jan '42, then not having enough aircraft to fly.  When they did get into the air, the Hurricanes were seriously outclassed, but you know all that already.   Yes, the old man flew off the Argus in Nov as well.   Thanks for your ongoing great efforts to keep their memories alive. 

Unfortunately many squadrons en route to Malta had a large number of inexperienced pilots,..... hence the name of my book,..... even the more battle worn units which usually had their most experienced pilots posted out and replaced by new boys before embarking for overseas. One of the main priorities in Malta was to stop this practice,.... and get Spitfires to the island and Canadian Stan Turner was a great proponent of this, despite the AOC, Hugh Lloyd being a bomber man and thinking that the Hurricane was OK,... as far as he was concerned a fighter was a fighter after all! After Sir Keith Park arrived as the new AOC,.... things changed,.... swiftly.. As you also say,..... there were far more pilots available than pilots and so they flew irregularly although the more experienced were trusted to fly the dwindling number of Hurricanes more often than the others.  As well as being outclassed by Me109`s,.... the main problem with the Hurricanes was their slow climb rate which meant that due to the short 60 mile transit between Sicily and Malta and despite having radar, the RAF pilots were usually at a height disadvantage and were jumped out of the sun by superior numbers of German or Italian fighters. 

On 10/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, MACALAIN said:

Fantastic model.

Alain

Thanks mate,..... glad you like it and I know you like your Malta stuff. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, ArmouredSprue said:

Astounding work. Very well done

On 10/20/2021 at 11:50 AM, Remus389 said:

Excellent looking, I like it very much. 🙂👍

Thanks Fella`s,.... that is very kind of you,.... glad you like it.