1/72nd Arma Hurricane Mk.IIb, 605 (County of Warwick) Hal Far, Malta 1941/42

37 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Tony

Your painting skills are really something  :worthy:

Cheers Pat 

Cheers Pat,..... much appreciated mate,..... I feel lucky every time that I get away without ruining the thing!!  

• Haha 1

Wow, you really know what you're doing with the old hairy stick! 

I still come across a lot of elitism amongst modellers regarding using/not using airbrushes to finish models... builds like this are testament to the fact that regardless of what gest you have in hand, skill matters most. 

Fantastic result, pal. I'd be well chuffed with myself if I had built that! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swralph said:

Very nice build and painting Tony.😀

Cheers mate. 

1 hour ago, daryl_five_zero said:

Wow, you really know what you're doing with the old hairy stick! 

I still come across a lot of elitism amongst modellers regarding using/not using airbrushes to finish models... builds like this are testament to the fact that regardless of what gest you have in hand, skill matters most. 

Fantastic result, pal. I'd be well chuffed with myself if I had built that! 

Thanks Daryl,.... I actually lost a book contract for a well known publisher because their US `expert' decided that as a brush painter I was not a good enough modeller! That was despite previously being given the go ahead and coming to their rescue by producing a few chapters of a book for them at short notice in which I built quite a few models for it,.... including a 1/24th scale model for the final chapter..... and all brush painted! My models were good enough then,...but not for my own book,...... and the model intended for the final chapter,.... a 1/24th Airfix Hurricane scratch converted into a Sea Hurricane,....which was rejected...  ended up winning the Airfix Trophy at Scale Modelworld Telford!

IMG-20160413-0002-NEW.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

53 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I actually lost a book contract for a well known publisher because their US `expert' decided that as a brush painter I was not a good enough modeller!

Crikey - had this "expert" actually seen your work? That's an awful thing to happen 😞.

If I may ask, which Humbrol colour did you use for the Dark Earth? It looks spot on to me. Beautiful work!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Crikey - had this "expert" actually seen your work? That's an awful thing to happen 😞.

If I may ask, which Humbrol colour did you use for the Dark Earth? It looks spot on to me. Beautiful work!

Yeah he saw it,...... but when he learned that it was brush painted he didn`t like it,....if I remember correctly he reported back to the publisher that " He isn`t a real modeller"as he doesn`t use an air brush"!! ......Ah well! 

I used Humbrol 29 mate,..... it dries quite pale,.... but after a coat of varnish for the decals it brings out the reddish brown hues. I used 164 RAF Dark Green for the green. ....I`m still experimenting with green after running out of my last bottle of Polly Scale Dark Green. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

Nice work! I could just stare at this Hurricane for a long time!

Thanks Jeff,.... I think that`s good? 

A splendid model and a testament to your superb brush painting skills. I too do not use an airbrush by choice, and with results such as yours, it just shows that an airbrush is not the 'be all and end all'. Great stuff thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Yeah he saw it,...... but when he learned that it was brush painted he didn`t like it,....if I remember correctly he reported back to the publisher that " He isn`t a real modeller"as he doesn`t use an air brush"!! ......Ah well! 

I used Humbrol 29 mate,..... it dries quite pale,.... but after a coat of varnish for the decals it brings out the reddish brown hues. I used 164 RAF Dark Green for the green. ....I`m still experimenting with green after running out of my last bottle of Polly Scale Dark Green. 

Good grief!

Many thanks for that - I'll give that a go! I've found 116 to be very good for the green, and another user on here (sorry, can't remember their name) showed 75 next to the RAFM colour chip and it was very close.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, canberraman said:

A splendid model and a testament to your superb brush painting skills. I too do not use an airbrush by choice, and with results such as yours, it just shows that an airbrush is not the 'be all and end all'. Great stuff thanks for sharing.

Mark

Cheers Mark,.... very kind of you and keep up the hairy brushing!!

28 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Good grief!

Many thanks for that - I'll give that a go! I've found 116 to be very good for the green, and another user on here (sorry, can't remember their name) showed 75 next to the RAFM colour chip and it was very close.

Thanks for the heads up re the colours,..... I thought that 75 might be a bit too dark,.... but I shall have another look. . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

A stunning model Tony, great work as usual.   That 24th scale Sea Hurricane is gorgeous too and obviously was appreciated by the judges too, the publisher was obviously very short sited.

Cracking work fella.

Chris 

Cheers Chris,.... glad you like the Sea Hurri too mate,..... yeah the book was all but written but hey,.... some modellers are far too snobby about it for my liking,.... take themselves too seriously and consider themselves experts. ....... not me!   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael51 said:

Tony,

It is brilliant work.

It looks real: I cannot think of a higher accolade,

Michael

Crikey,.... thanks Michael,.... that is indeed a very nice thing to say,... ta mate! 

Very nice indeed, that's another kit to be added to the "to buy" list! I've been waiting for a decent IIb ever since buying "Hurricanes over Singapore" by Brian Cull and Paul Sortehaug when it came out.

Mike.:)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Excellent work - wish my Hurris looked something like yours. Brush painting tutorial anyone??😉

Thanks mate.... tutorial,.... all I can say is practice and find your own favourite method. I try to apply as little paint as possible with each coat, and when painting the wavy edges try to flatten the paint into the filler section,..... if you have any raised paint after it has dried sand it smooth. I tend to dry brush the top layers,..... sort of rubbing th paint into the coat beneath,..... but I bet this doesn`t make sense? For large areas of colour,.... use a flat wide brush to cut down on brush marks and to spread the application of paint. 

31 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Very nice indeed, that's another kit to be added to the "to buy" list! I've been waiting for a decent IIb ever since buying "Hurricanes over Singapore" by Brian Cull and Paul Sortehaug when it came out.

Mike.:)

Cheers Mike,.... I intend to build a few aircraft from the Singapore/ DEI battles,......  there is one aircraft that I would really like to build, BE208 coded O which has Sqn Ldr`s pennants and the 232 Sqn Dragon Boat motif applied beneath the windscreen. It is pictured nosed over into a storm drain at Kallang in Feb 42 and in a series of photos it is seen progressively being stripped of fabric etc.  One of the few in this campaign to wear a code and other markings;

BE208-O.jpg

5-BE208-of-232-Sqn-Kallang-7-4-4-42-Flt-

Here is another 232 Sqn Hurri, BM904/ F  abandoned in Java;

3-BM904-of-232-P-Sqn-aft-crash-became-de

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another fantastic model, Tony! How you achieve that fantastic standard of finish in what seems a relatively short time, I'll never know!

As for brush painting vs airbrushing, if I could brush paint that well, I'd bin my airbrush! 

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful work on the Hurricane, first class modelling !

Wulfman

Thanks mate,.... much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Natter said:

Mmmm...   makes me want to build a Hurricane.

I get that feeling a lot,..... and looking at Arma Models website doesn`t help,.... they have jut announced a 1/48th Hurricane Mk.IIc,.... plus 1/72nd Mk.IId, a cheaper IIb and also a IId with cannons plus a Sea Hurri IIc,...... and also a P-51B/C.......OH MY!! 

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Another fantastic model, Tony! How you achieve that fantastic standard of finish in what seems a relatively short time, I'll never know!

As for brush painting vs airbrushing, if I could brush paint that well, I'd bin my airbrush! 

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark,.... while I have a particular pot of paint out I may as well paint a few models at a time!  Glad you like them mate. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1