Airfix 1/72 Vickers Valiant Reissue

Adam Poultney

I don't see a thread for this kit yet so, here one is

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2021/vickers-valiant.html

Price will be £44.99, not much more than the original price. I plan to buy quite a few..

Schemes so far are shown for WZ393 and XD818

a11001a_1_vickers-valiant-b1_liveries_1.

XD818 is the Valiant that most of us who have seen a complete Valiant will have seen. She is the only complete survivor and a historically significant airframe, having dropped our first H Bomb. Dark blue serials shown are wrong, hopefully this is just the temporary artwork.

WZ393. I don't know any specific details about this airframe off the top of my head, but I like the scheme.

Vickers_Valian_B.1_WZ393_90_Sqn_SGT_10.0

Shared from Wikimedia commons

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vickers_Valian_B.1_WZ393_90_Sqn_SGT_10.06.57.jpg

I hope they include another scheme in camo.

• Like 8

Just now, lasermonkey said:

This please me greatly. I have one already (bought off eBay for £12!) but would certainly like more. The price is reasonable too.

£12???!!!??? Wow! I thought I was lucky to get one at £40 this time last year

• Like 1

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

Wow - they were going for silly money not so long ago - £60-£80 rings a bell! 

• Like 2

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

I couldn't believe it myself. It was two or three years ago. I was lucky that it popped up as a "buy it now" for £11.99 (plus something like three quid to post it) and I was first on the scene. I almost hesitated, thinking it might be a scam, but it turned up three days later.

Definitely one of my luckier moments!

• Like 3

I wonder if Airfix will be kind enough to throw in their Refuelling conversion kit within this box.... didn’t 90 Sqn. operate Tankers at some stage?

Now I missed this kit first time around , so ought to take advantage of this new re-release. 

Cheers..Dave 

• Like 3

Thank goodness this is back out. I will not miss out this time. The  length of the interval between the "no-one wants these white-elephant kits - dump excess stock at bargain prices" and "everyone wants these unobtainable rarities - prices go ballistic" was unusually small in the last cycle, presumably as a result of the production volume being pretty low.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Oh, I bet there's some hoarders out there now that wish they got them on to Ebay before this announcement!

🤣🤣🤣😅😅😅 If you listen carefully you can hear their tears now! Absolutely despise scalpers and everything they represent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I don't see a thread for this kit yet so, here one is

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2021/vickers-valiant.html

Price will be £44.99, not much more than the original price. I plan to buy quite a few..

Schemes so far are shown for WZ393 and XD818

XD818 is the Valiant that most of us who have seen a complete Valiant will have seen. She is the only complete survivor and a historically significant airframe, having dropped our first H Bomb. Dark blue serials shown are wrong, hopefully this is just the temporary artwork.

WZ393. I don't know any specific details about this airframe off the top of my head, but I like the scheme.

Shared from Wikimedia commons

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vickers_Valian_B.1_WZ393_90_Sqn_SGT_10.06.57.jpg

I hope they include another scheme in camo.

Shouldn't she have an all white for her Grapple H-Bomb adventures?

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

Shouldn't she have an all white nose for her Grapple H-Bomb adventures?

8 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Shouldn't she have an all white for her Grapple H-Bomb adventures?

yes she would have to be, and I think you might need the alternate tail cone included in the kit.

Also I hope there is a new sprue with two parts on, just the main gear doors but correct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

yes she would have to be, and I think you might need the alternate tail cone included in the kit.

Also I hope there is a new sprue with two parts on, just the main gear doors but correct

From what I can see the gear door interiors couldn't be more wrong.

7 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

From what I can see the gear door interiors couldn't be more wrong.

yeah pretty much, thankfully when the model is displayed it's not the most easily visible spot, but the kit is riddled with minor errors all over the place. Still looks very much like a Valiant though.

I can understand why the error was made, XD818, the sole surviving complete Valiant, is displayed with the outer gear doors closed to allow people to walk under the wings. Cosford's Cold War hangar is pretty cramped so it is a necessity. 

Perhaps if they ever build another hangar, hopefully a sensible shape like a cuboid instead of a weird shape, then they can get the three Vs out of that hangar and more accessible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Acky190 said:

🤣🤣🤣😅😅😅 If you listen carefully you can hear their tears now! Absolutely despise scalpers and everything they represent. 

Nope sold mine in time....😇 but nice to see it back after all those silly prices...

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

Oh, I bet there's some hoarders out there now that wish they got them on to Ebay before this announcement!

Conversely, I'm delighted, since it means that I shan't feel remotely concerned that I'm about to turn a difficult to find and now rather pricey kit into a somewhat underwhelming representation of a Valiant when I finally get round to doing one of those which I bought when the kit was first issued. Probably in time for the 100th anniversary of the Valiant's first flight the rate I build at, but...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Time to dig out the Transport Wings Valiant B2 conversion set AND, the pair of Airfix tanker/PR conversion sets I have been hoarding!!

Reckon I will need at least 4 Valiant to go with the one I've been hoarding as well! 😉😊

John

Definitely will be getting the B2 conversion set

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Just checked eBay to see if original ones had gone down in price, people still seem to be selling for ridiculously inflated prices

It seems that It doesn’t matter as most people are not informed as we are so they still will be sold ...all kits are rare nowadays 😜 
Airfix will profit from the demand as a lot of people still want one ...

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Just checked eBay to see if original ones had gone down in price, people still seem to be selling for ridiculously inflated prices

Offering, perhaps. Selling... well, maybe.

If they're actually selling at those prices, and the goods are as described, then that's entirely the business of the buyer and seller and no-one else's opinion matters.

There's a lot of people out there, probably not well represented on here but out there none the less, for whom the value of a particular kit is that it's an original boxing, and that's always been the case - look at the price of mint bagged series one kits versus their later re-issues in subsequent years. I fail to see the problem with them continuing to hold that mindset and enjoying their hobby the way they want to.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

I think I'll invest in the Valiant, to complete the anti-flash Triumvirate from Airfix, having built the Frog Vulcan and Valiant back in, dunno, 1960 or something!! Looking forward to the 're-release'! I've already bought 4 cans of 'Mr. Base White'!!