Jump to content

1/72nd New Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc, 274 Sqn, Italy 1944


Recommended Posts

Hiya Folks,

                Having built the excellent new 1/72nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc kit from the box, I decided to add a few alterations in order to build a 274 Sqn aircraft based in Italy in 1944 which like many other Spitfire`s, Kittyhawk`s, Baltimore`s, Boston`d etc had its desert camouflage altered for the more temperate Italian landscape by adding Dark Green to cover the Middle Stone areas of camouflage. RAF Dark Green was one colour used,.... but apparently US Olive Drab and captured Italian or German greens were also used. 

Here is the WIP,..... the main alterations made were to use a Tamiya propeller spinner, Eduard wheel hub covers and tail wheel, etched rear view mirror and seat harness, Aeroclub vacuformed sliding canopy section, the decals were from DK Decals,.... as usual the model ws brush painted,..... I used Humbrol enamels for the upper surfaces ad spinner and Aeromaster Azure Blue for the undersides;

  

And here is the model;

DSCF9521-NEW.jpg

DSCF9439-NEW.jpg

DSCF9444-NEW.jpg

DSCF9440-NEW.jpg

 

DSCF9442-NEW.jpg

 

DSCF9455-NEW.jpg

DSCF9446-NEW.jpg

DSCF9447-NEW.jpg

DSCF9453-NEW.jpg

DSCF9452-NEW.jpg

DSCF9449-NEW.jpg

 

 

 

And here it is with the other Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc built from the box;

DSCF9441-NEW.jpg

 

Cheers

          Tony

 

 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Great result, Tony, they look excellent together.

 

The Aeroclub canopy looks spot-on, and it's amazing what a difference the external rear-view mirror makes to the 274 Sqn aircraft - once you've noticed its not on the other one is impossible to un-see! Definitely need to get some vac-form canopies and mirrors ordered for my builds..... :)

 

Kind regards,

 

Mark 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tempestwulf said:

Great looking Spits Tony. Will you be building an RAAF Vc? I'm cut between a silver one or a dark earth/foliage green one

Thanks mate,.....oh yes,.... I`ll be building quite a few RAAF and 54 Sqn RAF Spits,...... I`ve got quite a few 1/48th scale models including a silver one,..... but quite fancy having a little one too. I like the 79 Sqn Spits which had the Vokes filter removed too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

 Great result, Tony, they look excellent together.

 

The Aeroclub canopy looks spot-on, and it's amazing what a difference the external rear-view mirror makes to the 274 Sqn aircraft - once you've noticed its not on the other one is impossible to un-see! Definitely need to get some vac-form canopies and mirrors ordered for my builds..... :)

 

Kind regards,

 

Mark 

Thanks Mark,..... I got the etched rear view mirrors from ED Models years ago but only have two of them left now,...... could do with finding another set to be fair. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely Spitfire, those canopies really help the effect! I must have a go at brush painting to see if its possible to get near the even finish you have. 👍

Just about the photos - several seem to be duplicated like the 2nd/4th and 3rd/6th. Makes for a rather unnecessary amount of scrolling when reading the thread 😉 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, tonyot said:

a silver one,..... but quite fancy having a little one too

 

I've had a couple of decal sheets turn up this morning courtesy of the well-known emporium in Lowestoft, so with the DK Decals Malta Spitfire Aces sheet, I got a few options to consider! Todays haul is Xtradecal X72318, which has the 249 Sqn Malta-based BP989 - undersides colour noted previously, thank you! - and a 79 Sqn RAAF example in Foliage Green/Earth Brown with a white empennage. The other is AML Decals AMLC9025 which includes a 79 Sqn RAAF example in NMF with and anti-glare panel.

 

I'd be interested to know if there are any other decal sets available for Aussie Spits with white tails, particularly Vcs of course, but also other marks, too.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

 

I've had a couple of decal sheets turn up this morning courtesy of the well-known emporium in Lowestoft, so with the DK Decals Malta Spitfire Aces sheet, I got a few options to consider! Todays haul is Xtradecal X72318, which has the 249 Sqn Malta-based BP989 - undersides colour noted previously, thank you! - and a 79 Sqn RAAF example in Foliage Green/Earth Brown with a white empennage. The other is AML Decals AMLC9025 which includes a 79 Sqn RAAF example in NMF with and anti-glare panel.

 

I'd be interested to know if there are any other decal sets available for Aussie Spits with white tails, particularly Vcs of course, but also other marks, too.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark

Hiya Mark,.... the best sheet I have is this one from DK Decals;

http://www.dkdecals.cz/navod_Spitfire_1.jpg

 

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, burncpt said:

Lovely Spitfire, those canopies really help the effect! I must have a go at brush painting to see if its possible to get near the even finish you have. 👍

Just about the photos - several seem to be duplicated like the 2nd/4th and 3rd/6th. Makes for a rather unnecessary amount of scrolling when reading the thread 😉 

Thanks mate,..... when brushing try to apply as little paint as possible and build up the coats,...... use the brush to flatten the paint down too. When painting the wavy outlines to the camo,.... try to blend this in with the filled in section,...... and you can always sand in between coats too. 

I`ve deleted the duplicates,.... sorry!  

55 minutes ago, swralph said:

Very nice Tony.😀

Thanks mate!

3 minutes ago, Kentavros76 said:

Every modeler that respects the hobby must have done a Spit at some point...😋

...and you have a remarkable couple of those beauties! 👍

Thanks mate,.... yeah we all have a few Spits tucked away somewhere,.... such a key aircraft during WW2. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Mark,.... the best sheet I have is this one from DK Decals;

http://www.dkdecals.cz/navod_Spitfire_1.jpg

 

 

Hi Tony,

that certainly looks like a good selection of aircraft - sheet 72008, isn't it? Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. There are a couple of examples on DK's Pacific Fighters Parts 1 and 2 sheets, though.

Ah well, I think I've got enough to be going on with..... :)

Kind regards,

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

 

Hi Tony,

that certainly looks like a good selection of aircraft - sheet 72008, isn't it? Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. There are a couple of examples on DK's Pacific Fighters Parts 1 and 2 sheets, though.

Ah well, I think I've got enough to be going on with..... :)

Kind regards,

Mark

Sorry you couldn`t find one,...... maybe contact DK Decals directly,... he may have one or may consider re releasing the set? Even the instructions on line are a good source of reference.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo lovely,  a great model Tony, you have done a great job there.  Love the scheme and interesting info re the repainted sections and colours used.  The two of them look stunning. 

Great work as usual. 

Chris 

Cheers Chris,..... glad you like it/them mate.

 

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful build :clap:

Thanks mate.    

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I'll agree with Mark that the rearview mirror is a small thing makes all the difference - it just finishes the model off nicely.

 

Mike.:)

Thanks Mike,..... I did mention it to Airfix before the kit was released and suggested that it could easily be moulded as part of the windscreen,.... but hey,... they didn`t think it was a good idea!  It is also a pity that a second set of wing upper surfaces are provided with clipped wings,.... but still with the wide cannon bulge,..... I would have included separate pats for the wing tips and had optional wing upper surfaces with large and also narrow bulges,.... but maybe that was too many parts for the cost? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great looking models!

What can you tell us about the panel lines on this kit? The panel lines on Airfix' Mk.I/Mk.Va are a bit deep and wide for my liking. This is why I am a bit sceptical about the new Mk.V.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kentavros76 said:

Every modeler that respects the hobby must have done a Spit at some point...😋

 

You know, I think I never have, not even as a school kid. I remember doing a 109E, Hurricane, that sort of thing. Perhaps it's always been too obvious. Since I've started flying a sim called DCS and they have a Mk IX, I fancy doing one of those now as I've got a taste of what she's actually like to fly...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Great looking models!

What can you tell us about the panel lines on this kit? The panel lines on Airfix' Mk.I/Mk.Va are a bit deep and wide for my liking. This is why I am a bit sceptical about the new Mk.V.

Thanks Doc,.... well how do they look to you? I was quite happy with them and thought that they were a huge improvement on the Mk.I kit,.... much more refined,..... but not Eduard either. Definitely worth a try, easy to build a Mk.Vc in a mainstream kit at last,... we just need a 1/48th one now! 

 

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build on the Spit, I have a Malta one in mind !

 

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman..... a Malta one sounds just the job! 

 

2 hours ago, Natter said:

Another cracker Tony.  An inspiration to we who aspire to build better models than we do.

Thanks mate,.... very kind of you. 

 

Cheers

            Tony

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...