1/35 AIRFIX Austin K2/Y Ambulance

trickydicky210

I'm really hoping some of the figure producing companies jump on the band wagon & release some figure sets - how about an "Ice Cold" set like these...

CAST.jpg

... all we need now is a sand dune :clap2:

• Like 5

7 hours ago, fightersweep said:

That would be very nice indeed! As a side note, I used to own that Austin in the photo above. Pulled it out of a scrap yard in the mid 90s. It actually started life as a GPO pole wagon. This is the day we picked it up. A younger, slimmer me on the right 😁 Period setting too. The concrete we're standing on is a former USAAF fuel dump area.

52250897173_651a88b9aa_c.jpg

Steve

Wow Steve - You did her proud - what a job - amazing restoration - Steve:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

28 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Wow Steve - You did her proud - what a job - amazing restoration - Steve:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I can't take all the credit as I had to sell the Austin before the restoration got finished (due to getting married, having kids and moving 300 miles away!!) Did get the chassis, engine and running gear all sorted though. It was funny, but right before the GPO scrapped the vehicle, it must have been overhauled as the brake pads were all new, it had a brand new clutch and the engine had no wear whatsoever. Incredible really.

Sorry if off topic.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

....so is the Gecko...

https://www.tigerhobbies.co.uk/product/gecko-1-35-austin-k2-y-ambulance-and-princess-driver-35gm0070/

...just ordered my Gecko - complete with Princess driver ! ! !  :heart:

I'll probably wait for Hannants to get theirs in before ordering the Airfix.

Steve

Interesting there are only 'oblique' references to Ice Cold in Alex, not a licenced tie in - on the basis that Hornby were going to crack on and tool a Titfield Thunderbolt rather naughtily without getting permission from the licence holders (StudioCanal I think) then got their knuckles rapped as there was already a licenced model in production I wonder if 1) they asked and SC weren't too happy to oblige given recent behaviour) or 2) it was cheaper not to bother doing it 'officially' as everyone knows the movie anyway

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/hornby-cancels-the-titfield-thunderbolt-train-set/

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Airfix have been averse to newly licenced products for a while now. They see it as a prohibitive cost with dubious reward.

Well apart from the licences from the manufacturers of the full size on the box - and Hornby certainly aren't averse to licences - see their Scalextric and Corgi ranges and their trains from The Beatles to Thomas. But my point was they seem to have been trying to spoff a train out without a licence and got reprimanded for it (and had to post the apology above) and the licence holder for that movie is the same one as ICIA. That was my point 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:43 AM, fightersweep said:

That would be very nice indeed! As a side note, I used to own that Austin in the photo above. Pulled it out of a scrap yard in the mid 90s. It actually started life as a GPO pole wagon. This is the day we picked it up. A younger, slimmer me on the right 😁 Period setting too. The concrete we're standing on is a former USAAF fuel dump area.

52250897173_651a88b9aa_c.jpg

Steve

The spare clear parts deffo point to one of these in

the future....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spfparker said:

The spare clear parts deffo point to one of these in

the future....

That's interesting to know. Would love a truck version of the kit too. I think my kit is due to arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to see what's in the box.

• Like 1

Well we've had a "Ta-Da" - so here's a "Woo Hoo" :lol:

The Gecko turned up today - it's a BIG box (over 450 parts) - here's a few box shots...

GKT0001.jpg

..."extensive" photo etch...

GKT0002.jpg

Decals for "Ice Cold in Alex" & Princess Elizabeth's vehicle...

GKT0003.jpg

...and the grand finale - Her Majesty herself...

GKT0004.jpg

I might actually get round to opening the box next week - but for now I'm off for a lie down  - I'm overcome with excitement :heart:

All the best - Steve 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Worth repeating this link to another thread here...

I just read this thread & I am lost for words - take a look - it's shocking what has occurred behind the scenes...

Steve

• Like 1

Having seen a few reviews, I'll be going for the Gecko one myself.

The Airfix one, from what I have read, has post war bar grip tyres. There is at least one set of resin replacements out already (Def Models), but add this to the cost of the kit and it makes the Gecko one cheaper for what appears to be a far more detailed kit.

• Like 1

Having said that I'm holding out for the later boxing of the Gecko kit for vehicles in NW Europe as I'm not that interested in either of the "well known" ones (despite the fact the old ATS school in Camberley is about 20mins from where I live).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, badger said:

Having said that I'm holding out for the later boxing of the Gecko kit for vehicles in NW Europe as I'm not that interested in either of the "well known" ones (despite the fact the old ATS school in Camberley is about 20mins from where I live).

I'll bet STAR DECALS are "badger"ing away as we speak on NW Europe schemes.

Did you see what I did there Ben 😉

Steve

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'll bet STAR DECALS are "badger"ing away as we speak on NW Europe schemes.

Did you see what I did there Ben 😉

Steve

Genius Sir!!!

Hopefully someone will do an 11th Armoured Division option!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, badger said:

Genius Sir!!!

Hopefully someone will do an 11th Armoured Division option!

The Accurate Armour decals have a pair of black bulls & some very useful white on black "90"s for the 18th Light Field Ambulance.  I would however question the code number stencil styles...

IMG-7309.jpg

...also note the top one of the two 1st armoured rhino badges - his back end is missing!!! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, badger said:

Having finished the Airfix one I’m going to get the Gecko one and use one of the other options. I’m like you in that the two options just don’t do it for me.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:30 PM, BIG X said:

The Accurate Armour decals have a pair of black bulls & some very useful white on black "90"s for the 18th Light Field Ambulance.  I would however question the code number stencil styles...

IMG-7309.jpg

...also note the top one of the two 1st armoured rhino badges - his back end is missing!!! 

Or get a hold of this and do a Guards one to go with the Tamiya Cromwell I’ve built 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2021 at 10:38, BIG X said:

I've just seen this box top shot...

1325020-13385-31-pristine.jpg

...any thoughts?

Yes, I posted it yesterday! It's all wrong it's a late innthe Africa campaign! We'll have to see what's what with this there wouldn't have been any late but does have the sand runners katy should have but the small late spare wheel cover! Not the best box art either looks like it's from the 70s!

5 minutes ago, Modeler8522 said:

Yes, I posted it yesterday! It's all wrong it's a late innthe Africa campaign! We'll have to see what's what with this there wouldn't have been any late but does have the sand runners katy should have but the small late spare wheel cover! Not the best box art either looks like it's from the 70s!

What on earth are you talking about?  I posted that box top shot 13 months ago...

I'm sorry but I cannot understand - We'll have to see what's what with this there wouldn't have been any late but does have the sand runners katy should have but the small late spare wheel cover!

are you okay???

• Haha 2