1/35 AIRFIX Austin K2/Y Ambulance

trickydicky210

1 hour ago, Seboo said:

Thanks Seb

As it turns out it looks like my local Sainsburys have stopped stocking AMW - so that was a wasted trip & costly with the price of fuel at present.  I did pick up some Giant Greek Beans though - yum :lol:

For some reason I couldn't find a live link from Key Publishing last night - I must have been tired - but I have it now & have just ordered a copy to be posted.

Thanks again,

Steve

• Like 2

Note that Airfix are now offering a free pint glass with every pre-ordered kit. The catch is you have to pre-order the bundle so pre-orders made before this offer became available don’t get the glass. I canceled my existing pre-order and re-ordered the bundle version.

https://uk.airfix.com/products/austin-k2y-ambulance-free-pint-glass-bundlea13

The pint glass is a nice “Ice Cold in Alex” tie-in. They should consider partnering with a brewing company to do an Airfix K2Y beer.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Note that Airfix are now offering a free pint glass with every pre-ordered kit. The catch is you have to pre-order the bundle so pre-orders made before this offer became available don’t get the glass. I canceled my existing pre-order and re-ordered the bundle version.

https://uk.airfix.com/products/austin-k2y-ambulance-free-pint-glass-bundlea13

The pint glass is a nice “Ice Cold in Alex” tie-in. They should consider partnering with a brewing company to do an Airfix K2Y beer.

They could at least have found a glass that is shaped like the Carlsberg one in the film, a cheap gimmick to attract sales... at least the Eduard glasses have a bit of effort put into them

Mike

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mick b said:

They could at least have found a glass that is shaped like the Carlsberg one in the film, a cheap gimmick to attract sales... at least the Eduard glasses have a bit of effort put into them

Family friendly :) 

y4m7NeVDiuOXMfjtI7eQiMSUiaFKyVmvd5-TDKti

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mick b said:

At least we know it will be deeply engraved as it’s Airfix 😂

Mike

should we call this a long shot (glass) instead of a short shot?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

It worked on me ….🤦🏻🤣

I think my brother fell for it too 😂

The proposed Gecko kit appears to have very similar decal options, is there any collaboration going on here with regards the kit itself? Apologies if this is general knowledge amongst those in the know on here.

Mike

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mick b said:

I think my brother fell for it too 😂

The proposed Gecko kit appears to have very similar decal options, is there any collaboration going on here with regards the kit itself? Apologies if this is general knowledge amongst those in the know on here.

Mike

Like a lot of aircraft types (Spits for example) "the usual suspects" as far as markings appear again & again - as they are well known & well researched.

This is the most likely the case here.

Katy's are not as well documented as Spitfires - so it is a no brainer to go her Majesty's ride & probably the fictional Katy from Ice Cold too.

Doubtless more choices will emerge soon - here is "Scarborough to Stalingrad" & decals to cover it...

821beeba043a7f95ae47e737c9976d3c-red-arm

...and the decals...

IMG-7309.jpg 

As for the plastic itself - Gecko were very keen to point out that their kit was a totally independent piece of work & features many more features - such as... 

• Accurate Trakgrip general purpose tyres

• Three different headlight types (with blackout masks as appropriate)

• Optional furled and unfurled cab side curtains

• 6 stretchers (4 plus 2 folded)

• 4 folded blankets and 4 correct British Army pattern stretcher pillows

• Optional standard and extended exhaust pipes

• Optional early (w/o sling rings) and late (w/ sling rings) wheel hubs

• Optional roof ventilators

• Optional wing mirrors

• Driver figure (including rifle for RASC drivers)

• Optional high/low stretcher/seat configurations for rear bay

• Optional folded internal curtains

• Optional jerrican/2 gallon can carriers

• Optional early fabricated and late pressed steel spare wheel cover panels

So I think we can rule out collaboration - but more that they spurred each other on to the finish line.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One decal theme I really would like to see explored is this one...

Wounded-soldiers-being-loaded-from-a-num

...notice the stripes on the spare wheel covers of each vehicle.  "invasion stripes"?  Probably not - Red & White stripes perhaps?  Can anyone shed any light?

Steve

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BIG X said:

..notice the stripes on the spare wheel covers of each vehicle.  "invasion stripes"?  Probably not - Red & White stripes perhaps?  Can anyone shed any light?

Steve

I would hazard a guess its to make the vehicle more visable when viewed directly head on as you wouldn't see the crosses from that angle.

Pics of the Gecko test build can be seen here:

https://www.track-link.com/forums/modelling_kits/23058

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

One decal theme I really would like to see explored is this one...

Wounded-soldiers-being-loaded-from-a-num

...notice the stripes on the spare wheel covers of each vehicle.  "invasion stripes"?  Probably not - Red & White stripes perhaps?  Can anyone shed any light?

Steve

Probably just a visible warning about a part of the vehicle that sticks out to other drivers and persons standing close.

I have seen similar markings on locomotives that have a box shape that sticks out in a similar fashion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:48 PM, mick b said:

Mike

Mmm, Quite, seconded I'm afraid. Think I'll stick to the basic kit from my LSH. Surely it wouldn't have been too difficult to at least get the right shape. They could have even put a decal in the kit to apply to a plain glass?

Of course, you can always buy your own...(albeit a half pint size)

https://www.garage-bar.co.uk/product/carlsberg-tall-beer-glass-half-pint-30cl/

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

Of course, you can always buy your own...(albeit a half pint size)

https://www.garage-bar.co.uk/product/carlsberg-tall-beer-glass-half-pint-30cl/

...judging by the way John MIlls "necks it" in the movie - I would say the original is only a half pint glass - so your link looks spot on :clap2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

Surely it wouldn't have been too difficult to at least get the right shape.

No but that implies the possibility of promoting alcohol use. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

No but that implies the possibility of promoting alcohol use. 

or maybe shandy :lol:

• Like 1

Evening Folk.

Well my copy of AMW finally arrived in the post today.

Katy gets the front & back cover - as well as a mention in the editorial.

A seven page spread starts in the centrefold & features 29 photos along with a commentary, which describes a basic "out of the box" build.

The build is by Huw Morgan - QUESTION - is Huw one of our own - here on the forum? 

I won't spill too many beans - but Huw points out some extra parts on the clear sprue that seem to point to a future release of a K30 GS type - maybe like this...

c=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

...now that would be nice - wouldn't it.

There is very little mention of the photo etch - but maybe that's because there is very little photo etch in the kit? - I couldn't decide & it isn't made clear.

Huw delivers a very competent build (as you would expect) & offers just a few tips on weathering - so it will be interesting to see what the boys & girls here can deliver over the coming weeks.

Reading the text in the magazine has only served to confirm how bad my eyesight has become over the last two years (it seems so small & feint) - that I've decided I'll probably buy both the Airfix & the Gecko kits - but won't be able to build either.  I may well cobble together a comparison thread though - to discuss the pros & cons of each kit - that could be fun.

Have a joyous & creative weekend - Steve

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BIG X said:

I won't spill too many beans - but Huw points out some extra parts on the clear sprue that seem to point to a future release of a K30 GS type - maybe like this...

c=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

...now that would be nice - wouldn't it.

That would be very nice indeed! As a side note, I used to own that Austin in the photo above. Pulled it out of a scrap yard in the mid 90s. It actually started life as a GPO pole wagon. This is the day we picked it up. A younger, slimmer me on the right 😁 Period setting too. The concrete we're standing on is a former USAAF fuel dump area.

52250897173_651a88b9aa_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 5