1/35 AIRFIX Austin K2/Y Ambulance

trickydicky210

36 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Ben,  I'm just starting a fortnight off work & I guess your taking a well deserved break too.

I guess the KATYs are maybe on fleabay - where folk are looking to offload the accurate armour kits before they become completely worthless.  I'm going to keep the two I bought (£200 I'll never see again) - I wouldn't have the nerve to try selling them - at any price (they are dreadful) - but I need to get over that mistake & move on.

All the best - Steve 

Hi Steve

Enjoy your holiday - I've just started back sadly.

Maybe you could use the Accurate Armour kits as donors for either the Gecko or Airfix ones? The one thing that plastic manufacturers never seem to get right is tyre treads (limitations of injection moulding maybe?). 

Now all we need is Miniart (my current favourite supplier of 1/35 figures) to do a British medic set 🤞 They offer other British sets so this wouldn't be too much of a departure for them.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Capt. Anson: I'll tell you this, the next kit I get's gonna be a Katy. In one-thirty-fifth. There's a little shop in Alex with a glass top counter and ceiling fans. They sell the best kits in all the middle east. When we get through with this lot I'm gonna buy you one. I'll buy you all one.

Capt. van der Poel: Well, I wish you Brits'd get on with it, man. I've had one on pre-order since 1941.

ice-cold-in-alex.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Modeler8522 said:

box art now completed for airfix k2y

That box shot has been floating around since July - 

According to my good friend @badger - the wheels are off a Tamiya LRDG vehicle

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interestingly Disappointingly, there is no listing for the 1/35 K2/Y on the Airfix New for 2022 page.

Confusingly, in the Lorries and trucks page, there it is at the top with the label Pre-order for summer 2022.

Hmm... I pre-ordered one through my local supplier four months ago. But there is a juicy looking offering from a reptilian competitor so there may be a race to release. I wonder who will win?  I suspect I know. What to do, what to do?

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

Interestingly Disappointingly, there is no listing for the 1/35 K2/Y on the Airfix New for 2022 page.

Confusingly, in the Lorries and trucks page, there it is at the top with the label Pre-order for summer 2022.

Hmm... I pre-ordered one through my local supplier four months ago. But there is a juicy looking offering from a reptilian competitor so there may be a race to release. I wonder who will win?  I suspect I know. What to do, what to do?

Technically I guess it isn't new for 2022, it was originally new for 2021 so done to avoid any confusion but I have no doubt it will reach us

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

I agree - it's very disappointing.  On the web launch at the beginning of the month - when it came to vehicles - they had a picture of the KATY up on the wall - but no mention of it & no test shot on the display stand.  It was originally planned for Autumn 2021 - now it's summer 2022.  I think they are going to lose out big time to Gecko - it's a shame.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

I think they are going to lose out big time to Gecko - it's a shame.

I don't agree, Airfix and Gecko can serve two different markets, Gecko kits are relatively hard to find in the uk and  the Gecko kit will likely have a chassis that has over two hundred parts or so, go look at their recent Daimler armoured car, over engineered is putting it mildly and at under £35 the airfix kit will probably be better priced too .

Edited by gavingav1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

I am sure Accurate Armour or Resicast will release some updates for Airfix`s K2/Y

LOL :lol: - if Accurate Armour release updates that are anything like the quality of their own kit then god help us!!!  I binned 2 of their K2/Y kits because I couldn't get 1 decent model out of the pair.  The biggest waste of £200 you have ever seen.  Smashed / bent / snapped / full of holes - rubbish.

OK - rant over :) - I'll get my coat ;) 

• Sad 3

On 3/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, BIG X said:

LOL :lol: - if Accurate Armour release updates that are anything like the quality of their own kit then god help us!!!  I binned 2 of their K2/Y kits because I couldn't get 1 decent model out of the pair.  The biggest waste of £200 you have ever seen.  Smashed / bent / snapped / full of holes - rubbish.

OK - rant over :) - I'll get my coat ;) 

Sorry to hear that! Maybe not Accurate Armour then! Resicast undoubtedly a better bet then!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, 71chally said:

You would think they would issue it as A1212251 and get it out for the Platinum Jubilee, has to be a good sales gimmick.

That is Scheme D in the kit (see the link in the post above). Getting things shipped from South Korea on time is not the easiest thng in the world at the moment though.

• 2 months later...

Airfix finally seem to have announced some proper box details...

a1375_0.jpg

Notice on the right hand bottom corner - PHOTO - ETCHED PARTS - I wonder what they will be???

AAKTY0004.jpg

... radiators / grilles / steps perhaps???

I should point out this isn't the actual etch in the kit - just an old etch kit from 2004 by AA

Best wishes to all - Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Airfix finally seem to have announced some proper box details...

Notice on the right hand bottom corner - PHOTO - ETCHED PARTS - I wonder what they will be?

Best wishes to all - Steve

Thanks for sharing this and good spot on the photo etch - certainly adds to the appeal of the kit.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilh said:

there is a full build article of this kit in this months Airfix magazine.

oooh!!!!

Thanks for the tip off Neil :clap2:

I'll be off to Sainsburys in the morning to see if I can bag a copy - I can't seem to find a "real" print version to order anywhere online - fingers crossed eh

Steve

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BIG X said:

oooh!!!!

Thanks for the tip off Neil :clap2:

I'll be off to Sainsburys in the morning to see if I can bag a copy - I can't seem to find a "real" print version to order anywhere online - fingers crossed eh

Steve

There you go directly from the publisher:

https://shop.keypublishing.com/collections/airfix-model-world/products/airfix-model-world-august-2022

• Thanks 1