1/35 AIRFIX Austin K2/Y Ambulance

trickydicky210

1 hour ago, Phil Gollin said:

For interest, "Ice Cold in Alex" is on this afternoon, Friday 8th Jan, on Freeview Channel  41 ( sony movies action ) at 2:55 pm.

Thanks. But I've seen it a million times. Surely I can't watch it again? 

Can I ??? 😄

• Haha 4

I am willing to bet almost no-one on here has seen that film in any way that does it justice, certainly not as it was intended to be seen. A low resolution cropped format with TV cuts and crappy sound is better than not seeing it at all but I strongly recommend people to see it properly - which has been possible since the 2017 60th anniversary restored blu-ray came out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Alex-60th-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B078SLRK1K

• Like 4

And next Airfix , please ! , an OY Bedford in 1/35th with GS body and tilt , followed by a short wheelbase unit and " Queen Mary " trailer ,Please ! .

If someone does a Beau . to go with the K2 lets hope it`s not in TT markings like the one in the film .

Don .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If it doesn't resemble the one in the film, what's the point of displaying the two together?

It was a Spitfire V in the book, anyway. Incidentally the original book is just as good as the film, well worth reading

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Does this mean you'll be back at the bench?

Well Pete it has certainly cheered me up a great deal.  I bought a couple of Accurate Armour versions in early March last year.  When they arrived my heart was in my boots - as my level of skill couldn't hope to do justice to the warped resin in the boxes.  It really was a major kick in the teeth & I simply lost the will to start anything after that.  They keep looking at me when I open the cupboard door of the stash & I know it was £200 well & truly down the drain.

But now...

I have decals that cover 6 different vehicles & photo etch that may come in useful on the Airfix models.  Please don't get me wrong though - I'm not slagging accurate armour off - just my ability to tackle resin kits.  I have been searching constantly - hoping someone would tackle the KATY - but Airfix didn't strike me as a likely contender - so you could have knocked me down with a feather.  I now feel it could be time to start my 1/35 British 11th Armoured Division fleet - but all my equipment has been gathering dust for a year now - so a good tidy up might be the first job on.

Happy Days - Steve

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 10:33 AM, Fea said:

Have you seen the picture of her under the nose of a B-17 ? Phwoarrr.

No, I haven,t seen those, though finding a 1/35 B-17 would be tough.  I will search them out.

Edited by zed
spelling
  • Like 2

The whole of their 1/35 vehicle range does not fit into the 'series' system and they all have unique four-digit numbers beginning with 13. 

They are not "series 13" because they are missing a digit to fit into that system, and also they are priced below Series 11 and Series 12.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your wondering how big the 1/35 K2/Y is going to be - here is the chassis - compared to an Opel Blitz & a King Tiger...

IMG-6830.jpg

...it's going to be pretty impressive - woo hoo!!!

Steve

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

According to Airfix designer Paramjit Sembhi, who appeared on Phil Flory's Youtube channel last night, Airfix have outsourced the design and production of this kit (and the 1/35 scale Cromwells) to Academy.

That's interesting - I've never built an Academy kit - does it bode well for quality?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BIG X said:

That's interesting - I've never built an Academy kit - does it bode well for quality?

Hi Steve @BIG X - I sense someone may be a tiny bit excited about this?

I've built a few Academy in 1/72 and have a couple of their 1/35 kits.

Generally they fit together well and are nicely detailed with crisp moulding.

There are a few accuracy issues with some of them (1/35 Stuart interior for one), but these are all older kits. 

Would I buy a K2 knowing Academy are designing it? Yes without hesitation.

Hope that helps

All the best 

Ben

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Looks like a mock up to me perhaps based on a conversion as those look like the wheels from the Tamiya LRDG truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've just been browsing the Hannants "future releases" & it now seems to imply Feb 22 for the launch of the Airfix Katy - rather than autumn 21 as first suggested.  It's looking more likely that I'll go for the Gecko one instead.  I've popped myself on the "watch list" with @TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED who will email me when it comes out.

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Hope you are well?

Thanks for the update - be interesting to see the differences between the two.

As an aside I have seen a couple of the accurate armour ones cropping up on a certain well known internet auction site.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

Hope you are well?

Thanks for the update - be interesting to see the differences between the two.

As an aside I have seen a couple of the accurate armour ones cropping up on a certain well known internet auction site.

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben,  I'm just starting a fortnight off work & I guess your taking a well deserved break too.

I guess the KATYs are maybe on fleabay - where folk are looking to offload the accurate armour kits before they become completely worthless.  I'm going to keep the two I bought (£200 I'll never see again) - I wouldn't have the nerve to try selling them - at any price (they are dreadful) - but I need to get over that mistake & move on.

All the best - Steve